Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2021, 07:55 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrewing View Post
Personally, I don't subscribe to any and youtube seems pretty good about posting newer videos from channels I frequent at the top of the home page. I find it kind of annoying to get constant notifications if I subscribe and there's obviously some kind of algorithm that knows what I'm watching anyway and pushes them up.
Subscribe doesn’t result in ANY notifications, notifications are a separate function. I subscribe to many, but I don’t turn on notifications for any. Subscribe makes it easy to see what’s new of channels I know I like, instead of wading through other garbage and relying on algorithms to recommend other things I might like - while that’s of value occasionally. Subscriptions is one way YouTube content providers get paid for their work, I don’t see anything wrong with supporting them in that way - it takes considerable effort to produce a quality video.

The three main YouTube options for viewers are (separate):
  • Subscribe, and
  • Notifications

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, I did not even know you could subscribe to You Tube channels. Therefore, I don’t subscribe to any. LOL. Typically, I look at you tubes to learn how to do certain DYI projects or to look at reviews of certain things I might buy. That is it.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Subscribe doesn’t result in ANY notifications, notifications are a separate function.
YouTube used to send email notifications when channels you subscribed to uploaded new videos. However, they ended that last year, so I'm not sure if the notifications do anything anymore. I subscribe and click the notification bell to every channel I follow and don't recall being notified of anything. So, I just click "Subscriptions" in the left panel (after logging in) to see all the new uploads for the channels I follow.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
YouTube used to send email notifications when channels you subscribed to uploaded new videos. However, they ended that last year, so I'm not sure if the notifications do anything anymore. I subscribe and click the notification bell to every channel I follow and don't recall being notified of anything. So, I just click "Subscriptions" in the left panel (after logging in) to see all the new uploads for the channels I follow.
I’ve been a subscriber to many channels for many years and I’ve never gotten a single email - NONE. AFAIK you don’t get emails unless you choose the “Notifications” bell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Support
Difference between Notifications and Subscriptions Feed

Subscriptions feed
, available on both mobile and a computer, will show all recently uploaded videos from your subscriptions.

Notifications tell you when there are new videos and updates from your subscriptions. We’ll send emails, notifications on mobile, or inbox notifications on your computer. When you subscribe to a channel, you’ll automatically get personalized notifications with highlights of activity.

To get all notifications from a subscribed channel, tap the Notification bell . The bell will then change to a ringing bell to indicate that you've selected all notifications.
https://support.google.com/youtube/a...DDesktop&hl=en

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’ve been a subscriber to many channels for many years and I’ve never gotten a single email - NONE. AFAIK you don’t get emails unless you choose the “Notifications” bell.
Correct, you have to click the notifications bell to receive the notification emails. However, YouTube ended this feature last year:

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/new...ribers/583258/

I only watch YouTube on my desktop computer, so I don't think the notifications really serve any purpose for me anymore. But, I click the bell anyway.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m a big fan of Pro Walks. The guy videos cities in Italy and other countries. in 4K with a surround sound. He does no narrations but puts historical information as close caption. If you wear headphones [emoji442] the ambient sounds of city is quite good. Since we are stuck at home due to Covid it is a nice getaway.
Eastbayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #47

As I have mentioned before, but feel it bears repeating, I added on to my Firefox browser the free "Easy Youtube Video Downloader" extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ideo-download/

It creates a green "Download" button beneath every video you visit. You can then download any video to your PC (then to a thumb drive to watch on your TV via a USB drive on your DVD player or what-not) to watch at your leisure, away from your PC, add-free (without commercial interruptions).

I have saved hundreds of videos (such as music concerts and records LPs/songs, documentaries, etc) for some years now.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love learning skills from youtube.

Was recently working some home electrical problems and found "The Engineering Mindset" has some great teaching videos on the basics of electrical circuits. Quite low level and perfect for someone like myself.

Also got fascinated that people can now repair many dents in autos without having to use the old bondo and repaint techniques. Found many youtube channels on Paintless Dent Repair and am now trying my hand at it on our cars. "Top Gun PDR Training" is one of several I like.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
I added on to my Firefox browser the free "Easy Youtube Video Downloader" extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ideo-download/
I use 4K Video Downloader. It's a standalone program, not tied to any specific browser. Just copy the link and add it to the program list. It also works with a variety of different web sites.

I find it much more convenient to download the videos so I can watch them on my living room TV using my Zidoo Z9X media player.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I've never watched youtube much, but have been watching some Covid channels:

Drbeen Medical Lectures
Dr. John Campbell
Whiteboard Doctor
HIBBERD HEALTH Dr Jennifer Hibberd
TrialSite News
MedCram - Medical Lectures Explained CLEARLY
Paul Marik
Medlife Crisis

A few health/wellness channels:
FoundMyFitness
ZOE
Zero
I go to sleep to John Campbell (almost) every night! Sometimes I have to play his podcast again in the morning. I started with Dr. Mobeen Syed more recently. (As I am still working, I don't have have time to listen to the entire podcasts, but I do like him.) MedCram, yes. I remember when youtube was hasseling him. A more non-biased presentation I could not imagine. I did not know that Paul Marik had his own channel. I have listed to him on Dr. Been's show, and flipped over to read his protocol a few times.

Hmm, TrialSite News I just found lately.

I will continue to listen to them post-Covid. (It turns out I enjoy medical Podcasts.)
Old 03-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
As I have mentioned before, but feel it bears repeating, I added on to my Firefox browser the free "Easy Youtube Video Downloader" extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ideo-download/

It creates a green "Download" button beneath every video you visit. You can then download any video to your PC (then to a thumb drive to watch on your TV via a USB drive on your DVD player or what-not) to watch at your leisure, away from your PC, add-free (without commercial interruptions).

I have saved hundreds of videos (such as music concerts and records LPs/songs, documentaries, etc) for some years now.
I really like the sound of this...being able to watch ad-free and to save for later viewing on TV. But I wonder what are the potential consequences, given this (from the Techradar site):

Quote:
Is downloading YouTube videos legal?
Before you use a free YouTube downloader, bear in mind that using third-party apps to download videos is against YouTube's terms of service, which say you can only stream videos directly from its servers. Downloading videos is also a potential copyright infringement unless you own the video yourself, have permission from the copyright holder, or it's in the public domain.
whitet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:43 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Demolition Ranch
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:47 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Steve Lehto (Lehto’s Law)
Itchy Boots
Matt’s Off Road Recovery
Wranglerstar
Linux Tech Tips
TFL
Military Weapons Channel
Forgotten Weapons
...and many more!
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I did not know that Paul Marik had his own channel. I have listed to him on Dr. Been's show, and flipped over to read his protocol a few times.
Dr. Marik doesn't have much on there, as you probably noticed. But apparently Dr. Mobeen was a moderator on a multi-guest panel of doctors presentation. It wasn't 'live', but it's to be posted soon on Marik's channel.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Dr. Marik doesn't have much on there, as you probably noticed. But apparently Dr. Mobeen was a moderator on a multi-guest panel of doctors presentation. It wasn't 'live', but it's to be posted soon on Marik's channel.
I will have to keep my eye open for it. I heard Dr. Mobeen mentioning it coming.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:43 AM   #56

Unfortunately I didn't inherit my dear mother's green thumb, but I read a great article in yesterday's Washington Post about how the BBC's Gardener's World with Monty Don became must watch TV during the pandemic last year, as balm to those coping through the pandemic lockdown. The new season has just started and I watched the first episode on Gardener's World You Tube channel yesterday. It makes me want to go dig in the dirt and plant something. Needless to say I subscribed.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:48 AM   #57

YouTube is easily 90-95% of what I watch on TV. I currently subscribe to 76 channels. Main topics are woodworking, DIY, music, cooking, travel, history, linguistics, and science.

A few favorites:

Life Uncontained
Langfocus
frank howarth
BazBattles
DIYfferent
Andrew Camarata
Scary Pockets
CGP Grey
Old 03-22-2021, 08:52 AM   #58

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I use 4K Video Downloader. It's a standalone program, not tied to any specific browser. Just copy the link and add it to the program list. It also works with a variety of different web sites.

I find it much more convenient to download the videos so I can watch them on my living room TV using my Zidoo Z9X media player.
I'm not sure why y'all are going to all that trouble. You don't need to download videos to watch on your TV. Just install the YouTube app on your TV streaming box. IMO, this is WAY simpler, faster, better. The ads are very short and help compensate the content creators, which I totally support.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:15 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
I found this thread very interesting. I was expecting people to have more subscriptions in common. Only Music Lover and seem to have some overlap....

Essential Craftsman: Has a lot of home building (and other) stuff. However, if you go into the Playlists there is one for "Spec House Series" where he is building a house from scratch in Oregon. Over 100+ episodes starting from soil samples all the way to currently hanging drywall. I would call it a "This Old House" for regular people with a lot more details. To some degree, it is a General Contractor course.
Good one. Lots of informative information.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Like others, I've fixed lots of stuff thanks to YouTube. Our dishwasher several times, washing machine and learned how to use a paint gun, how to stucco a wall and lots of computer updating videos.

YouTuber's I regularly watch:

Jay Leno's garage -Cars

Timcast IRL - Politics

Doug DeMuro - Cars

Pat McAfee - Sports

The Hill - Politics

FlemLo Raps - Sports

Elise Trouw - Music

Mark Rober - Science

Don't Walk, Run! - Politics

Donut Media - Cars

TheReportOfTheWeek - Fast food reviews