Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What'd you major in?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BD 101 must have been held off-site at Second Chance. Maybe the Final was to burn it down
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:35 AM   #62

BA in Economics, and then a lifetime as a computer programmer. I thought the economics training paid off well, in real life.

Coach
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

B.S. in Chemistry.
M.S. in Systems Management, sort of a technical MBA.

A few interesting observations about the responses here:

- Chemistry seems to be over-represented
- Generally high representation among the harder sciences (Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Physics). What does this say about us, statistically?!
- Amazingly few Finance majors for a buch of early retirees. What conclusions do the students draw?
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #64

The harder sciences lead to job that su#$. The finance majors like their jobs?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
The harder sciences lead to job that su#$. The finance majors like their jobs?
I love my job, and it pays well, so why not keep working? I could ER in 5 years or less, but will see how it goes.

Seems like a LOT of folks on here hated their jobs, but waited for the pension so they could ER................hey that was a choice too.........

I have a friend that works at the Fed Reserve in Atlanta.........he HATES his job, but is 3 years from a full pension...........so he plugs away.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Biology, minor in chem (what else...)
Being a visual, tactile person, loved organic chem and would have dreams of molecules in 3-D. Also liked p chem.
Hope to go back to school for M.F.A. in ER.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy
- Amazingly few Finance majors for a buch of early retirees. What conclusions do the students draw?
It doesn't describe me, but an awful lot of the Wall St. types have a really tough time turning it off, and a lot of them don't want to leave the "excitement". That works real well until the divorce, heart attack, etc. comes along...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hmm.. I wonder if finance types are inherently drawn to or fascinated by the money and investment, while for others the money is just a means to FIRE?

I'm also surprised how many chemists, engineers, and other science types there are.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #69

BS is Finance from Fairfield University.

CFA Charter 5 years ago.

Both have been relevant to my jobs, I'm at a pretty high level in federal gov't, and I'll be able to retire early, so I'd say it worked for me.

My whole family has a thing for numbers, although I don't have the interest in engineering that my father (retired early), and sister (now an engineer), do. Didn't want to do all that calculus and physics stuff...

Karen
Old 11-01-2006, 02:38 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. Like Wildcat, attended the school of hard knocks. (Our colors are black and blue)

2. U.S. Navy Weather Observer's A school. "cirrus near us, and stratus comin' at us"

3. BA in Philosophy, UC Berkeley, thanks in part to my Uncle Sam. (Irony of my life -- gummit pays to turn me into a liberal... thanks, Unc.)

4. MBA, also from Berkeley. Marketing.

5. Career in software industry, which is indistinguishable from returning to the school of hard knocks for a doctorate.

And, with luck...

6. Someday in the hazy future, retired and back to school for a history / oral history / documentary filmmaking education.

(anybody else see school in their post-retirement future, as well as their past?)
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #71

BS Chemical Engineering / Minor (had it been available - 21 credits/what a joke) in Business.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

BA Biochemistry
PhD Biochemistry
Worked as a professor, now VP of a biotech firm, still give lectures at a med school.

And organic chemistry was a snap ... I could synthesize anything from alcohols of 4 carbons or less.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A few interesting observations about the responses here:

- Chemistry seems to be over-represented
- Generally high representation among the harder sciences (Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Physics). What does this say about us, statistically?!
Perhaps this says that the engineer types are more apt to look at money like a tool than becoming emotionally involved like the easily excitable finance majors.

To be sure, there are also many educated idiots out there, so perhaps none of this has anything to do with anything at all
Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #74

Although I chose not to go to college after HS, in all these years since I have aquired a BS degree...or at least a degree in BS.

But seriously, now that I have gotten older and am about to RE (5 months to go), I am looking at going back to school ( mostly just for the fun of it) to get a degree in something possibly related to finance. Haven't nailed it down yet though. If not that, then possibly something in the culinary arts. Two fields that are certainly not related, but are both hobbies of mine! I like money, and I like love food!!!

Now that's what the FIRE'd life is all about!!! Not going to get a degree in the hopes of getting a better job and/or more $$$........But going to get a degree just for the FUN of it!!! In a hobby interest, and not a jobby interest!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Perhaps this says that the engineer types are more apt to look at money like a tool than becoming emotionally involved like the easily excitable finance majors.

To be sure, there are also many educated idiots out there, so perhaps none of this has anything to do with anything at all
I'm not that excitable.......... Of course there was the 70 year old broker that told me as a rookie:

"Stay away from teachers, engineers, doctors, and lawyers as clients for your first 5 years. They don't like brokers, will second guess everything you do, and they think they know everything"

Us finance guys are working toward as feverishly as you guys did..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
But seriously, now that I have gotten older and am about to RE (5 months to go), I am looking at going back to school ( mostly just for the fun of it) to get a degree in something possibly related to finance.
After a lifetime of educating yourself, why would anyone feel obligated to go back to school?

I didn't ER to do homework and study for tests-- especially not if my family wants to do something else or if the surf's up...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
After a lifetime of educating yourself, why would anyone feel obligated to go back to school?

I didn't ER to do homework and study for tests-- especially not if my family wants to do something else or if the surf's up...
I wouldn't feel obligated.....it would just be something to do for fun! In my current (soon to be former ) profession, I've continually had to study, research, and take tests, and it's never been that much of a challenge....I'm just one of those sicko-types that likes to continually be learning new stuff. Guess I got that from my Folks and GrandFolks!!! My Bro went back to college at about age 53 to get a degree in mechanical engineering, because he always enjoyed taht sort of thing.

My Grandad ( who had a 6th grade education ) studied and read and took classes in all sorts of things his entire adult life. He could sit and have an intelligent conversation on ANY subject, with anyone. I still have some of his old text books from when he audited some class in dentistry!!! At age 73, after his second wife had passed away, he said he needed some "brain stimulation" and enrolled in welding classes at the local community college. His college instructor had learned to weld from a teacher that my Grandad had taught to weld years before!!! Gramps learned some new stuff to keep the gray-matter happy, and he taught the class some old tricks!

To me learning is fun....but that's just my opinion!!! :
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #78

BS Finance
BS Accounting (Because I wanted to stay in school to be with my girlfriend (now wife)
CPA
CFA
CIPM (Soon I hope)
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
"Stay away from teachers, engineers, doctors, and lawyers as clients for your first 5 years. They don't like brokers, will second guess everything you do, and they think they know everything"
MB in Europe (straight out of school, no chance to party)
MD based on research
MBA in midcareer because I got interested in healthcare management
Got hooked on finance.....
Canadian Securities Course just for fun
Discovered I really enjoyed the Dismal Science, which isn't dismal at all....
Plans for next life: become financial guru!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #80

Hey Goon, I don't know about you but I'm getting smarter just hanging around here.

I must have more than a HS education after reading this forum for 2 1/2 years.