Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
I hear you!

BTW, I got back into this forum thanks the nice weekly newsletters listing current threads, which started showing up in my email. Don't know if that was a new feature, but I like it and this group.
Yes, the admins added the newsletter recently.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 08:38 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
I hear you!

BTW, I got back into this forum thanks the nice weekly newsletters listing current threads, which started showing up in my email. Don't know if that was a new feature, but I like it and this group.

Aww...powers that be... I unsubscribed. Can u put me back on?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Aww...powers that be... I unsubscribed. Can u put me back on?

On the ER.org home page, on the bar in the top section, you can go to "Quick Links">> "Edit Options" and check the box(es) you want.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
On the ER.org home page, on the bar in the top section, you can go to "Quick Links">> "Edit Options" and check the box(es) you want.

omni
Son Of A Gun !!!!!!!!....

over a decade on this forum and I've never seen that edit preferences stuff hidden away there !!! .....

can you believe people have been thanking me for posts and I never got notice and therefore have been rudely not replying to them ?!!

can you believe i've said anything worthy of thanks... ha
Old 08-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I think that those of us at the tail end of the boomers (I was born in '62), for the most part are among the last of the DIY crowd. A lot of people my age still pride themselves on their DIY and handyman skills, but it doesn't seem that many younger people share that philosophy.

Part of it is that younger people grew up with more complicated products that aren't DIY friendly...cars are just one example. You can't fix something on your car with a few wrenches and a screwdriver any more, and most other products have some sort of electronic technology that when it fails, it can't be repaired. People grew up never having the opportunity to fix anything and so never learned how.

Humans build the cars and components and humans fix them. It's just getting the techniques, tools and skills. I still fix our family's autos and seem to be able to do most everything. IC engines still have valves, pistons, crankshafts, cylinder heads, etc. The electronics are either sensors (emission control use) or circuit boards. Brake systems have become less complicated with disc and caliper design.

On small appliances and other solid state devices, one can generally troubleshoot problems and find parts and circuit boards to do repairs. Utube has tons of videos on repairing stuff.

It's not a hard as you think and all it takes is some personal effort.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #86
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
the key to happiness is low expectations.

IMG_2373.JPG
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I am a boomer. But I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Connie Francis, Dalida, etc..., and not the Beatles. Generally, my kind of music was the hits when I was still an infant or in grade school.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

i was born in 1954 , discovered Alice Cooper , Led Zeppelin and adrenaline as a teen , rediscovered heavy metal in 1991 in Hong Kong ( of all places )

i was happy to anywhere those goddamn Hippies weren't

i was briefly 'fashionable ' during the grunge period but like all fashions the herd moved on ( and i didn't bother )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Humans build the cars and components and humans fix them. It's just getting the techniques, tools and skills. I still fix our family's autos and seem to be able to do most everything. IC engines still have valves, pistons, crankshafts, cylinder heads, etc. The electronics are either sensors (emission control use) or circuit boards. Brake systems have become less complicated with disc and caliper design.
A lot of "fixing" nowadays is just swapping parts.

I don't have anywhere to work on my vehicles, but thanks to online resources I can usually figure out the problem, order the parts, and have my independent mechanic install them.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy the conversation about the different generations, but to be honest I find it difficult to really accept the basic premise. As a landlord I see all kinds of people, and do my best to anticipate/predict their habits. If I chose to rely on whether they're boomer, x'er, millie, my track record would be pretty poor. (and it's not all that great as it is!)

I guess I'm an outlier myself - ER'd with nothing in the stock market, my investments are all real estate and notes payable.

Seems to me that most of the differences in the generations can be explained by external factors, such as pensions fading into the sunset now that 401k is available. If iphones were available 50 years ago, wouldn't those folks be just as prone to the habits of folks we see now with their phones?
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Generational talk is mostly in fun. "you kids today, back in my day..."

At the same time, we share things and that makes it cool. We also share generational issues. For that, I think it is helpful. Of course, there are shades of experience and nothing is ever absolute.

My parents generation (Greatest) grew up without TV, yet lived much of their lives with it. Boomers always knew TV, starting with B&W. Gen X grew up with color TV. Millenials started with TV, but threw them away for devices. iGen will say "what is TV?" That's fun stuff.

Pensions and retirement strategies are a different matter. For Gen-X, our issue is the switcharoo. For millennials, no switcharoo, so hopefully they are planning from the start. For iGen, I suspect it will be a new political system. Just guessing.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote