Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Okay, so I tinkered with the resolution settings around a bit and decided to not get a new monitor - at least for now.
As was mentioned, just getting a larger screen area may not make things more readable, it depends on the pixels available to work with.

In addition to adjusting the resolution, you can tweak the text/font sizes and component appearances

In win7, use the "ease of access center" to adjust the display for easier reading.

In XP, go to display properties, advanced, and you adjust a lot of the individual windows components appearance.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's not true. Some of the large standalone computer monitors I mentioned earlier have precisely the same, or greater, resolution, than the laptops we connect to them.
I don't know of any with 2880 pixels across.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
As was mentioned, just getting a larger screen area may not make things more readable, it depends on the pixels available to work with.

In addition to adjusting the resolution, you can tweak the text/font sizes and component appearances

In win7, use the "ease of access center" to adjust the display for easier reading.

In XP, go to display properties, advanced, and you adjust a lot of the individual windows components appearance.
That's probably the easier solution for most folks rather than getting a larger monitor that you have to sit farther and farther back from to see the whole page.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The Apple Thunderbolt Display is amazing. It has 27" of retina display resolution and I almost bought it for DW when we got her MacBook. The official reason I didn't: a bit too expensive when the high resolutions wasn't needed. The real reason: I'd most likely steal take it from her for my own use.
It's pretty. But it has less pixels across than my 15.4 inch laptop even though it's almost twice as large, so images don't look nearly as sharp as on my laptop, which is why we never got one for photo editing.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

I run dual monitors, a 19 and 24
Tom
Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I believe the 13" MacBook Pro retina display has even higher pixel density than your 15"
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I am using 29 or 31" at slightly more than arms length.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

What's a Good Sized Monitor?

This seems to me like asking "What's a Good Sized Shoe?"

It depends on your needs. As others have said, there's more to a monitor than just size. Native resolution, non-glare or not, viewing angle, and a zillion other specs.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I believe the 13" MacBook Pro retina display has even higher pixel density than your 15"
But the 15" has more pixels total. I think that is what is important to audreyh1.

Quote:
A spectacular 2560-by-1600 resolution on the 13‑inch MacBook Pro and an equally impressive 2880-by-1800 resolution on the 15‑inch MacBook Pro let you see more of your high-resolution images with pixel-for-pixel accuracy.
and that 27" display has fewer pixels than either: 2560-by-1440 resolution.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What's a Good Sized Monitor?

This seems to me like asking "What's a Good Sized Shoe?"

It depends on your needs. As others have said, there's more to a monitor than just size. Native resolution, non-glare or not, viewing angle, and a zillion other specs.

-ERD50
My eyes are happy with the solution I decided upon.

Just like a comfortable shoe..well for now at least.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Beaten by the iPad Retina at 264 pixels per inch, and the iPad mini Retina, iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 at whopping 326 pixels per inch!!!!

But yes, the 2880 pixels wide in the 15 inch is better for photo editing even though the pixel density is "only" 220 pixels per inch. Still twice the normal laptop.

Once you get used to these "Retina" displays, everything else looks soft.

I wear reading glasses, and have for years. But I still really appreciate the sharpness of a Retina screen. IMO it makes reading a LOT easier.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #52

Get the Dell 30" at 2560x1600 if your graphics card will support it.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:20 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Samsung recently released a 28" monitor with resolution 3840 x 2160.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It depends on your needs.
Indeed. And that depends on the circumstance. When I'm working, I could be building a new release in one window, fixing a bug in another window, testing that fix in another window, and monitoring email in another window. After retirement, I won't have such needs, so probably won't need such big screens to allow me to monitor the several things I'm doing in parallel.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote