Join Early Retirement Today

What's a professor earn?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

What's a professor earn?

An article from Pacific Business News says that a $1M donation to UH will endow two permanent professorships.

Yet drawing 5%, the IRS charitable foundation guidelines, from $1M is only $50K/year. It's hard to believe that it'll support one professor's salary, let alone two. The article claims that UH's Manoa College of Business is ranked among the nation's top 20 graduate schools for international business by U.S. News World Report, so presumably this isn't a diploma mill scam.

Am I missing something about endowments, or are professors paid a lot less than I think?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What's a professor earn?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to hold an endowed chair. The money did not pay my salary, but I did get to put the fact of the endowment on my CV. The money was more a slush fund to be used for post-docs, knick-knacks, paddy-whacks. I still had to write and get grants for my salary, the salaries of my subordinates, and the stuff we consumed.

So the endowment can be used to attract faculty who can get the rest of own money. It's a safety net.

OTOH, after being in Hawaii for the past 9 days and hearing about UH, I'd guess that professors at UH go there for the surfing and not for the endowment, prestige or work.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I used to hold an endowed chair.* The money did not pay my salary, but I did get to put the fact of the endowment on my CV.* *The money was more a slush fund to be used for post-docs, knick-knacks, paddy-whacks.* I still had to write and get grants for my salary, the salaries of my subordinates, and the stuff we consumed.
Spot checking a few endowed professorships on the Web, it looks like in some cases the total cost can be less $10K, presumably at more obscure schools.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Nords--

Yes, professors are paid a lot less than you think. But so are public and private school teachers.

The professorate has a rank system similar to the military:

It can begin with a low paying Instructorship; Assistant Professor; Associate Professor and, finally, a Full Professor. With each advance in rank comes an increase in pay. Most teaching professors are on a 9 month contract and with luck, they get to teach in the summer as well.

Quite a few states still have tenure protection for independent thinking professors--and due process must be followed before they can be fired.

It can be a nice life--but it can also be very demanding and stressful with high expectations to publish, do research and..oh yes, teach!!!! (Hey, what can I say? I'm an absent minded professor and I lose my train of thought)

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I just read an ad for an assistant professor at the University of Minnesota for a person to teach in their paralegal program. Salary was $50,000.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I know a lot of the engineering profs at the local state College of Engineering get low six figures for the 30-somethings and 40-somethings with 10+ years experience. Then they occasionally consult on the side for $130+/hr. But they work hard and frequently long hours at their research tasks. Oh yeah, and teach too.

I know the "visiting lecturers" get paid less than high school teachers (at least in the humanities). One of my "visiting lecturer" profs told me she got poached to go to the local high school and teach for A LOT more money.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #7

I've been in touch with a former professor who I've kept in touch with since college. I though for a split second about going for a finance PhD

I attended a 4th tier state school and he said that with a PhD in Finance you will start at around $100K - $120K for 9 months work. Accounting pays a little more because of the shortage

Liberal arts can be ONE THIRD OF THAT!!
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

A while back, one of the state universities was offering an adjunct position in my field .. one class, met 3 times a week, for a semester. Paid about $2,000.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

For the osaka area, here are some private university averages from 1998. Public universities would be about a third less.

35 year old Associate Professors, married with two children.
School Average $101,504

50 year old Professors, married with two children
School Average $126,470

Adjuncts get about $100 per 1.5hr class.

http://www.debito.org/PALEautumn99.html#salaryscales
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes the side jobs can be pretty lucrative, though. My finance and accounting profs at NYU's MBA program have to beat off consulting offers with a stick. I know one prof was getting $600 an hour for his gigs.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #11

$50K for a professor in Business Admin at a major university seems low. A full professor in Business Adminstration or Enginerring can easily command a 6-figure salary at a major university plus consulting fee.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Assistant Professors make $40-80K* Associate Profs somewhat more, $60-90K.* Full Professors have hit the big time with salaries above $100K pretty typical.

http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/upa/peers/c...rs/profsal.htm
More tables available here: http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/UPA/peers/c...eers/frame.htm

I think the averages are pulled down by folks teaching some of the humanities like languages, sociology, philosophy, etc, where research grants have less impact.* The salaries are higher for engineering and science professors.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
The salaries are higher for engineering and science professors.
So do medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, law, math, computer science, Finance.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #14

palm beach post july 29, 2006 article http://tinyurl.com/rssbf

Quote:
While public school teachers, firefighters and police officers have been the focus of concern in finding affordable housing in South Florida, universities are beginning to worry about recruiting experienced professors when the average faculty salary last year was $62,582.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Dont professors earn about a henway?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wait for it...

Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Shhhhh....you'll disturb the henway...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess it's too late to post, "A place to store a cremated professor."
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Dont professors earn about a henway?
I don't follow. Can you describe the aspects and features of a henway, please? What is it, some foreign currency type?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I don't follow. Can you describe the aspects and features of a henway, please? What is it, some foreign currency type?
Yes, CFB. What's a... What does this concept of "henway" involve? A British term, perhaps?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote