What's a Triumph Spitfire worth?

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Hi Nords. Re. "MG sports car", I'd take it as long as there were at least some salvageable parts. JG
Hey Nords, where is this MG ? I actually own two MGs. If this guy is giving this car away, it's almost certainly a later model midget. These cars aren't worth very much to start with, and rust extremely badly (read, "in half") quickly when driven in snow belt areas. The drivetrain is worth a couple bucks, but truthfully, the whole car probably isn't worth more than $200-$300 if some of the parts are good. -Pan-
OK, I didn't mean to raise any false hopes and plese forgive me if I mixed up my vehicle vocabulary earlier, but here's the data:

It's a 1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500, manufactured just before they changed their commission numbers to VINs. If someone knows how to look it up, this car is FM 102366 UC. Reportedly there were 95,829 of them produced between 1972-9 but all the websites I found only wanted to discuss VINs.

The good news is that the car has a bright shiny new paint job-- deep dark Navy blue. Kinda flashy around these islands but hard to see at night.

The "other" news is that the car's convertible top isn't leakproof. In fact the cockpit cover doesn't even seem to fit over the bucket seats, so one or the other must not be original equipment. In the last month we've had about six inches of rain, most of which has fallen inside the cockpit and drained out the rusty "floorboard" holes. Not that it's a total loss, since most of the panels (dash covers, door moldings, rear deck) have been removed and scattered between the seats and the trunk. And there's a plastic quart container filled with assorted nuts, bolts, diaphragms (the mechanical kind, not the contraceptive version), and miscellaneous trim parts.

I've seen the car go down the street under power so the engine appears to run, although there's a suspiciously open exhaust-manifold pipe stub that may be lacking a hose. The crankcase gasket needs replacing-- and what a charming design it is to see a fuel filter hanging way out at the edge of the engine compartment like that. That's just from a casual 15-minute inspection and I'm sure there are more surprises to be discovered.

The car was being restored by an evangelist who's moved to the Mainland to boost his musical/preaching career. I think he gave it to the church, which is probably trying to decide what the heck to do with it. The registration & safety inspection are expired, which will cost a Hawaii resident several hundred bucks just to make it street legal again. I doubt anyone in the church is interested in touching it but I haven't asked yet.

If this is a bargain, then I'm ready to swoop and to split the proceeds with someone. Anyone?

Almost anything is a "bargain" at some price.

I like Triumphs. Owned a 1962 TR-4. My brother
had a Spitfire. At the time I bought a junker from a salvage
yard to strip off the salvageable parts and parked it inside
our one car garage. My spouse wasn't too enthused
about that. :)

JG

Why not take a quick look on ebay for the year and model and see what you come up with for price? I doubt they are worth that much in the best of condition. DH builds and restores vintage British racecars for a living, so I've seen a lot of Triumphs.

Now if you found an Aston Martin...

Just remember that the only reason why the brits dont make computers is because they havent figured out how to make them leak oil yet... ;)

Just remember that the only reason why the Americans didn't invent the computer is because they couldn't figured out how to many cupholders it needed... ;)

End of the thread.

Well, it's outta here. The church gave it to an airline sheet-metal mechanic with a buddy in the upholstery shop. Sounds like he's eager to devote all the restoration time & TLC that it's going to need.

The car started right up (with a jumper) and promptly began leaking fluids from every gasket... but it drove away under its own power.

Back
Top Bottom