What's engine starter spray/should we get some?

From Cecil Adams, the Mr. Knowitall at The Straight Dope:

The Straight Dope: Why does gasoline go stale so quickly?

Thanks, pretty good article.

So it seems that part of the problem is what I'd expect - the most volatile components evaporate off, and you need those for easy starting. So that's where the ether spray comes to the rescue.

If it sits unused, however, its more volatile components waft away, leading to poorer engine performance. ... though your car might start a little harder, it'll still run (assuming it ran before), and there's little risk in burning the fuel if this is all that's gone wrong.

The second he mentions is oxidation:

... some of the hydrocarbons in the fuel react with oxygen to produce new compounds, ... When oxidation becomes a problem, you'll know it without lab tests — the gasoline gives off a sour odor. If you pour some into a glass container, you'll see it's turned dark, and you might find small, solid particles of gum. Using oxidized gasoline is a bad idea, since the gum can clog your fuel filter, create deposits in your fuel system (especially the injectors), and generally hurt performance.

Since I've never seen these symptoms, I'll assume my gas is not getting oxidized in the time I store it. Makes sense, I keep the tank nearly full and it is stored in a cool/cold garage. Oxidation reactions typically increase with temperature, at least when it comes to beer - this is something home brewers concern themselves with, handling beer in small batches makes the O2 exposure more of an issue, and oxidation gives beer a stale/cardboard taste. It's not uncommon to find, and storage temperature have a big influence.

I think I'll continue my process, and not worry. Not saying it's right for others, their conditions may be different.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom