Join Early Retirement Today

What's For Breakfast?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:31 AM   #1

What's For Breakfast?

While we're on this food kick, what are your seven most common breakfasts?

For me, there's much less variety in my breakfast meals.* As I wrote these down, I realized that I never make anything other than these six meals.* Here are my standard breakfasts:
  • One slice of toast with ICBINBL*, jelly and a glass of milk.
  • Bowl of cereal (usually Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds)
  • Breakfast smoothie (recipe here)
  • One fried egg on toast with OJ
  • One slice of toast dipped in hot cocoa
  • Pancakes with apple slices in them and real maple syrup (I have this on Sunday morning but only if I weigh less than 163.5 pounds* )

*I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Light
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What's For Breakfast?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If I am lucky, a "Morning Glory",* * otherwise coffee and toast*
Honkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heres a good and easy one.

Get your old slow cooker out.

Put a cup of steel cut oats, or whole oats if you can find them, not the steamed and rolled flat ones.

Add four cups of water, or milk, and if you use water, a half cup to a cup of half and half.

Two cups of dried fruit that you like, I use cranberries and apricots most of the time, dice the larger fruit to berry size if you use them.

A few pinches of salt.

Turn on to Low when you're ready to go to sleep...8-9 hours later when you wake up you'll have perfect smooth creamy hot oatmeal.

Try this once during the day just to make sure your slow cooker doesnt cook too hot/fast, otherwise you'll wake up to burnt oatmeal. The usual regular size crock-pot brand works fine for this...my dad has a small Rival made one that cooks the oatmeal in about 6 hours...if you have one of those and tend to wake up once or twice during the night, flip it on later...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty lazy when it comes to breakfast. Usually a bowl of Total cereal with a banana. Sometimes a slimfast smoothie shake. On weekends I blow it out and have some pancakes and bacon out at the golf club before my round of golf. *
Old 09-28-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

(sigh), more often than not, cofee.

That's why every Sunday after church we stop at a nearby shopping center and get a starbucks and a brueger's bagels "eggo bagel" and sit outside by the fountain, watching the little tyke play. I know, I know, "LBYM!". But the 10 bucks is worth the family time.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Weekdays before w*rk:

1. Bowl of cereal (store brand captain crunch or flakes-n-nuts)
*2. Banana
*3. Bagel w/ cream cheese

* consumed in car on way to work or while at work

Weekends:
**1. Nothing - who gets up before lunch?
2. Pancakes/sausage/eggs/grits
3. "Mexican breakfast" - yogurt, sliced bananas, apples, or whatever, cereal (granola or flakes)

** 95% of weekend breakfasts

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:11 PM   #7

Week days

Oatmeal with chopped walnuts and soymilk
Cream of Wheat with soy milk and light maple syrup
Wheat Bagel with cream cheese

Saturday
Oatmeal with chopped walnuts and soymilk
Fried Egg Sandwich on wheat with cheese
Burrtio made with southwestern eggbeaters, cheese, black beans and salsa wrapped in a tortia.

Sunday is breakfast at parents for all the family that's like a buffet so it could end up being anything from just scrambled eggs to omlets.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Homemade pancakes loaded with blueberries.
Homemade pancakes loaded with pecans.
Cheese/mushroom omelet w/ whole grain toast.
Oatmeal w/brown sugar and raisins.
Total/Wheaties/Cheerios w/ banana.
Two slices whole grain toast w/jelly or peanut butter.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We'll have cereal once or twice a week.* I eat oatmeal straight out of the box with a little cold water and some lo-fat cottage cheese on it (a good balance of carbs and protein that I started eating when I began working out) and she'll have Shredded Wheat or oats (but with milk and some sugar).* Oatmeal works fine as a cold cereal.

Most days it is some sort of eggs (one per person).* An omlette with some cheese, maybe a little ham in it or some fruit and nuts (especially with Stilton), scrambled eggs and toast, fried egg on a waffle, add a little sausage or bacon now and then.* Scrambled eggs with some green chiles and onions rolled up in a flour tortilla is tasty. French toast isn't uncommon either, with a little vanilla added into the eggs.

Occasionally I'll fix a pan of cornbread with a pan of sausage or bacon.

Oh yes, let's not forget the double cap with breakfast.* She gets all the foam.

cheers,
Michael
(still enjoying retirement after 5.5 weeks of it)
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

During the week its pretty much Kashi cereal.

Weekends are usually waffles and thick sliced bacon. Our $5 yard-sale waffle iron died recently and we replaced it with the Waring professional Belgian waffle maker. Worth every penny - makes awesome waffles! The King Arthur Flour cookbook has a great part-whole wheat homemade waffle and pancake mix recipe that I use... just add egg and water when you're ready. The husband usually doctors it up with different things though - last week it was pumpkin waffles. Yum!
FlowGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow. Everyone's breakfasts sound wonderful. I usually eat Shredded Wheat w/ lowfat milk or 2 slices of whole wheat toast w/ peanut butter. Weekends are usually something home cooked (better) like eggs, bacon, or pancakes. I found a recipe for pumpkin pancakes that were really great. This weekend I am making OAP's breakfast burritos. Yum.

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 05:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
During the week its pretty much Kashi cereal.

Weekends are usually waffles and thick sliced bacon.* Our $5 yard-sale waffle iron died recently and we replaced it with the Waring* professional Belgian waffle maker.* Worth every penny - makes awesome waffles!* The King Arthur Flour cookbook has a great part-whole wheat homemade waffle and pancake mix recipe that I use... just add egg and water when you're ready.* The husband usually doctors it up with different things though - last week it was pumpkin waffles.* Yum!
What! No pickle juice?

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:11 PM   #13

My breakfast is very simple. I have either a cold or hot cereal.

The cold cereal consisting of bran flakes, raisins, uncooked rolled oat, sometimes a banana or grapes, non-fat milk (from dry powder)
The cooked cereal is rolled oats, nonfat milk, spice it up with Louisana hot sauce and grated romano cheese. I may add farina and or wheatena. I sometimes include cut up zuchini or other veggies for added flavor. I'll have it with a cup of yogurt. I on occasion even mix in the yogurt. It's really good tasting stuff. I like easy.