Join Early Retirement Today

What's in a number?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Administrator

What's in a number?

I guess the cell phone number 0888 888 888 was popular among crooks because it looks a bit like 0$$$ $$$ $$$

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-10-years.html

All 3 crooks that had the number died under suspicious circumstances or were murdered.

Quote:
A mobile phone company has suspended the number 0888 888 888 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 0888 888 888 end_of_the_skype_highlighting – after every single person assigned to it died in the last 10 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

every person reading this thread will eventually die too, does that mean the board is shutting down? LOLOLOL ROFL

Being born is the #1 cause of death, a seldom repeated fact in most cause of death studies LOL
Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Obviously for those three, 8 is NOT their lucky number!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Eek!! I wouldn't want a number with a history like that, either.

My cell phone number is one digit off from the number of a local rap/hiphop radio station. That's bad enough.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

The older I get the more I like easy to remember numbers and that one is real easy.

I have an 800 # for my business that has recently become crossed with an 800 # for Humana. Now I'm regularly getting calls from people wanting to discuss their EOB's. When I ask what number they were dialing it's not even close to my number but somehow the two numbers are obviously crossed out in cyberspace somewhere. Call my local telephone company and they say it's a long distance issue. Call my long distance provider and they say to talk to Humana's provider. Sometimes I miss the good old days when you could just call AT&T because everything phone related was their problem.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Our number was last used by a physical therapy center. We get calls all the time asking for therapy for various body parts.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Our number was last used by a physical therapy center. We get calls all the time asking for therapy for various body parts.
Be thankful it wasn't a massage parlor...

We once had a number one digit off that of very popular burger joint a few miles down the road. We got surprisingly good at taking to go orders...
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

The one Operating Room I worked in we had a phone number one digit off a pizza place so depending on our mood we would take orders .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Be thankful it wasn't a massage parlor.
"Total body rub with happy ending" is a physical therapy technique, right?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Or so a number of ladies have sworn to me.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Or so a number of ladies have sworn to me.
Under oath?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Under oath?
Officer, I swear to Gaaawwd....

What's that old saying about no atheists in foxholes? It applies to jails quite similarly.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was evil enough to prank with the poor people who can't dial a telephone number.

A former coworker used to get out the criss-cross telephone directory and randomly select some victim from the trashiest areas of town. This was in the days before modular telephone cords were predominant. After convincing them that they had won a free extra 6' of telephone line in the Southwestern Bell monthly customer appreciation drawing, he would tell them that they were on the honor system to pull out no more than 6' of line when they heard him "release the brake" on his end. He held a stapler up next to the mouthpiece and said "Okay, when you hear the brake click off, you go ahead an gently pull just 6' and no more." Every one of them must have had both hands wrapped on the line and a foot braced against the wall ready to pull like crazy when that brake came off. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when they tried to explain to the real telephone company why they decided to rip their phone line out of the wall.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Old 05-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #14

A car collision repair center had a telephone number one digit different from a funeral home, so some people were aghast when their calls were answered "body shop".
Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
A former coworker used to get out the criss-cross telephone directory and randomly select some victim from the trashiest areas of town. This was in the days before modular telephone cords were predominant. After convincing them that they had won a free extra 6' of telephone line in the Southwestern Bell monthly customer appreciation drawing, he would tell them that they were on the honor system to pull out no more than 6' of line when they heard him "release the brake" on his end. He held a stapler up next to the mouthpiece and said "Okay, when you hear the brake click off, you go ahead an gently pull just 6' and no more." Every one of them must have had both hands wrapped on the line and a foot braced against the wall ready to pull like crazy when that brake came off. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when they tried to explain to the real telephone company why they decided to rip their phone line out of the wall.
Yikes! And you guys walked around with guns all day?

Ha
Old 05-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yikes! And you guys walked around with guns all day?
That was pretty mild in those days. I came on as part of the "new generation" that was supposed to drag the agency into the 20th century, but the old generation had to be drug along kicking and screaming the entire way. When I started the academy in late 1979, it was, as some author later said, "the national poster child for aberrant police behavior." Some of the stuff I saw during the transition period was interesting.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes when I see PD force in numbers being applied it seems like the PD is just a sanctioned gang. Sort of feel the same way about financially strapped state governments coming up with the brilliant solution to their budget woes: "let's legalize (and tax) pot"! Wonder how Frank Freak would feel as he sits in jail for selling dope to fund his family if the state gets into drug sales...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Wonder how Frank Freak would feel as he sits in jail for selling dope to fund his family if the state gets into drug sales...
Probably not much different than Zeke the Moonshiner who went to jail for selling untaxed alcohol. Especially if it is in one of the twenty-odd states where alcohol is actually sold by the state itself.