Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Most popular reason
Old 07-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Most popular reason

When I borrowed dad's car in high school...

we had a flat tire and got stranded.

So I pumped...

and then Becky pumped....

And then, we fixed the flat !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
BTW, once the car is running you can take the battery out and throw it away, the car is running on the alternator.
Unless the car has a generator....
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
The driver's car ran out of gas out in the middle of corn country. I told him to whip the car from side to side and any remaining fuel might reach the pick up point...
Your story made me recall a similar situation, except with a MC on a farm road (nobody around) when I was stationed in West Texas back in 67-68.

While pushing the bike toward the base, a few miles away (I did not want to just leave it there and walk for gas), I had it tilted on the side as I pushed it - more so as I got tired.

Just for the heck of it, I tried the kick starter and got it to run for a few hundred yards till it stopped. Got off, tilted the bike (e.g. gas tank) and it started to run (for another few hundred yards).

Made it back to the base main gate at the same time this "trick" no longer worked. I was literally "running on fumes" at that point, and the trip past the main gate to the gas pump was two blocks - downhill (something rare, in West Texas ). I coasted in for a fill...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would say dead battery was the most often reason that I got stuck.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having driven "beaters" as work cars, I've had some colorful examples. My favorite wasn't mine. Riding in a car pool, a co-worker had his car stall and refuse to start. After the battery was drained, he jumped out of the car, slammed the door, and yelled, "Anybody want to give ten bucks for this POS?" A teenager looked with eyes wide and said, "If you're serious, I will". Two minutes later, we were walking and a surprised kid was appreciating his signed title and new car.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post

BTW, once the car is running you can take the battery out and throw it away, the car is running on the alternator.

I doubt this is true anymore (if it ever was). The battery acts as a load regulator - I'm not sure the voltage would stay even enough for all the electronic gizmos the engine needs w/o something there to keep them in check.

In fact, now I recall I had a bad battery just a few years back. It seemed to intermittently go completely open. I managed to jump it to get it started, but the engine kept dying on me before I could go 50 feet. Parked it and came back the next morning and swapped a new battery in there and all was good.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
Unless the car has a generator....
Yes that is correct but generators went out back in the 50's though I suspect some American cars may have used generators in the early 60's. Now British cars....well that's a whole nuther story.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #28

Yep, I have an early 60's British car (or an older American one) with a generator and the battery is superfluous if the car is running. Not true if you have an alternator.