What's Up with Gas Prices?

Gonzo

Recycles dryer sheets
Regular gas fell from $3.15 on Sunday to $3.02 today... is it officially the end of summer?

Gonzo

I think oil prices just dropped pretty drastically, because of the truce in the Middle East. Also, I think I heard that BP isn't shutting down as much of their damaged oil field as originally anticipated.

I'm sure it also has something to do with the phase of the moon, alignment of the planets, and who's predicted to win the next Superbowl. ::)

I thought it was strange that with everything going on prices didn't go up again. I fully expected to see it rise once the pipeline news hit but nothing, no change either way, it's still $2.95 in town and close to the interstate it's between $3.02 and $3.05.

Sam's club dropped their price to 2.99....lowest it's been in months.
I was expecting it to be about 3.10.

Don't forget the demand half of the equation. I suspect enough people are actually being careful about their travel that demand is going down (a little).

There are a lot of Suburbans and the like sitting by the side of the road 'For Sale' in rural Whatcom County these days.

Speaking only for myself, I hope oil and gasoline stay high for another few years. My present work depends on it. (Until I retire, that is. Then, maybe, move to Venezuela where Chavez sells gas for 25 cents/gal. :D )

Gas prices down again today... Sunday 3.15... Monday 3.02... Tuesday 2.97... it's header in the right direction!

Gonzo

$2.759 on the way to work this morning. My luck, I bought gas last week for $2879. :'(

The two stations I quoted yesterday morning went down 5 cents each by the time I drove home. I need to check the place in town tonight on the way home.

I wish it'd go up to about $5/gallon so i can laugh at everyone with their SUVs, Hummers, and suburbans.     Its sad it takes high gas prices for people to reconsider squandering nonrenewable resources that contribute to the greenhouse effect.  Also, I think there's just often too many people on the road probably not going anywhere that matters much when they need to learn to combine trips.

I love my 07 Honda Fit btw.   What an awesome car "fit" for an ER minded person!  (My wife drives a VW Jetta diesel which gets 33/44)

Azanon

I'm very excited by the news of the next Prius. They are working on one that plugs into your home electricity and can drive some distance without ever turning the engine on. Average MPG to ballpark 100+! I'm hoping my current cars hold on until that model (3-4 years) comes out.

With DW staying home, we put less than 1000 miles on her car in the last 4 months, my commute is 12 miles, so gas prices have been a spectator sport for us. :-\

Laurence said:
I'm very excited by the news of the next Prius.  They are working on one that plugs into your home electricity and can drive some distance without ever turning the engine on.  Average MPG to ballpark 100+!  I'm hoping my current cars hold on until that model (3-4 years) comes out.
Dude, there's a guy practically in your ZIP code who's already done that.  Hackers have been boosting their batteries and tweaking the engine-control software... sounds like fun!

http://economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=7001862

Yeah, I knew about that, but I'd like a warranty with my bleeding edge technology, please! :p

Andre1969 said:
I think oil prices just dropped pretty drastically, because of the truce in the Middle East. Also, I think I heard that BP isn't shutting down as much of their damaged oil field as originally anticipated.

I'm sure it also has something to do with the phase of the moon, alignment of the planets, and who's predicted to win the next Superbowl. ::)

Prices in large metropolitan areas (where EPA mandates 10% ethanol content) dropped because the ethanol supplies have risen and the price dropped. It made a little difference in those areas.

Gonzo said:
Gas prices down again today... 2.95

Gonzo

Wow! Makes me just want to go out for a little drive! :D

One year ago exactly gas in this area was 2.76 per gallon. It is now 2.835.

For a little while it went up to 2.99 or 3.01... but now, it's only 7+cents higher than when we left for Asia (!)

All the hoopla and stuff aside, that's not too bad for a year's difference, eh?

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

What, gas prices going down? By the the so-called "law" of supply and demand? Without any congressional action to reign in the monster big oiligopomonarchy trusts? Impossible! :D

DW and I just got back from dancing at a little bar about 20 miles from home. We passed gas prices that varried from $3.109 to $2.719 per gallon. Within a couple of days they will all be at dramatically different prices and the lowest cost stations this evening may be the highest. :-\

I think the Media have a responsibility in this situation as well. As we can see, the prices go up and down, depending on many things including the 'summer driving season' -- and the media seems to like to get everyone all worked up with catastrophic phrasing.

Why not speak in terms of whether the prices are outpacing inflation, or whether it is 'normal' for the summer driving season to see these increases, etc.? Why is it always such a fear-full encapsulation?

Ratings?

Best,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

CNN news recently said the highest gas prices in the country are in Chicago.
On Maui we're paying $3.61 for regular.

The price of crude is back near 70, equate with 2.75 a gallon.

They are still charging a bit much, but then again I ran past a bojangles here in NC today and there were 16 yes 16 cars in the drive up window lane, it went around the darn building and 30 mins after I looped around there were still 12 on line and the guys that were in the back of the line were still in line!!!

How efin dumb is it to idle for over 30 mins to get a darn biscuit!?

Stupid american drivers!

Back
Top Bottom