Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have lived in central Florida for 20+ years. There is nothing good about it. Nothing to see here. We are full. Thank you for your interest....now please go away.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 05:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I have lived in central Florida for 20+ years. There is nothing good about it. Nothing to see here. We are full. Thank you for your interest....now please go away.
It’s no better in SW Florida either.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:07 AM   #43

I have an older cousin who retired a long time ago. He's a big salt water fisherman who loved Florida in the winters but just could not stand it in summer. So he winters in FL and lives in NJ the other half of the year.
I spent a week in FL in May once and that was already too hot for me!
Old 04-18-2021, 06:27 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Weather and access to Quality Healthcare are the highest on our list. Florida satisfies both of these, especially healthcare, it really is top notch, as long as you do not live in podunk Fla.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
Put me in the camp of having absolutely no interest in Florida, It's hot and humid, crowded, and flat. I want the exact opposite on all of these.
Those and bugs, alligators, storms, floods, sink holes and the dreaded Florida Man/Woman.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:45 PM   #46

Quote:
I can say the same for West Virginia. Plus we get these terrible snow blizzards and you can freeze off um, important body parts.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

The problem being that Florida has only two types of area: Podunk, and Insanely Overcrowded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Weather and access to Quality Healthcare are the highest on our list. Florida satisfies both of these, especially healthcare, it really is top notch, as long as you do not live in podunk Fla.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Those and bugs, alligators, storms, floods, sink holes and the dreaded Florida Man/Woman.
Yeah no more retirees.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The problem being that Florida has only two types of area: Podunk, and Insanely Overcrowded.
Depends where you are, we are not so bad up here.

I would say Cheap and Expensive more describes it. Unless you are in South Florida that is, now THAT is crowded.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #50

I have two BIL's planning or in process of moving to Florida. One just put his house in PA under contract and his new build home in FLA will be done in less than 2 months. The other has 5 years till he retires... but the plan is to move down there.

I, personally, see no reason to give up BETTER weather (no humidity, fewer bugs, no hurricanes) when I have a paid off house 2 miles from the Pacific Ocean. It might be quite different if I were struggling under a SoCal mortgage.

As others have mentioned - retirement states tend to be based on where you are moving from. I know lots of people who move to Arizona from the western states. But Arizona is another non-starter for a year round home - WAY too hot in the summer. I have family there and will only visit from late October through April. (Although cousins just bought a second house at elevation in Northern AZ... so maybe we'll visit there outside that window)

I'll stay in my Xanadu here in San Diego... I'm like Goldilocks - not too hot, not too cold, not too humid... perfect.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

They’re not, there are 7 states with greater inflows v outflows - AZ, ID, NV, ME, NC, SC, VT then FL at #8.

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/top-1...omic-measures/

We lived in FL for 3 years, we’d never go back to the blue hair state...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 04-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Yeah, we are about a 90-minute drive west of you, and I feel the same way..........nothing to do or see, so please look elsewhere, thank you.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #53

Nothing new about moving to Florida. I remember my grandmother's friends moving to Florida when I was about 12 - and my parents discussing it as a possible retirement destination.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #54
Confused about dryer sheets

After 17 moves during our working career we retired to central Florida 9 years ago. It is my favorite place of anywhere. We lived in several places in NY, Pa and California. New Hampshire, Arizona, rural Tennessee and so on, yet Florida is my favorite.

The large retirement community where we live is full of active people. Every day during the pandemic I walked and rode my bike, as soon as the pools opened I swam every day. We have a large enclosed lanai where we could read and get fresh air. People met outside spaced to talk, picnic and socialize.

Now that things are getting more normal there are nice beach trips, kayaking and tubing. Bike riding on numerous rails to trails. Traffic is awful in some areas, but rarely too bad here. We often RV for the summer months, as well as to to different areas in Florida to the coasts.

Not perfect but close to it for us. I love it.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

I was stationed at Orlando AFB in the summer of 1965 before I went overseas. I remember bugs everywhere, wicked heat and humidity, and plenty of open spaces. The last time I was in Orlando (a few years ago), all I saw was concrete, buildings and traffic. I didn't recognize anything from my past time there.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:00 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potterquilter View Post
After 17 moves during our working career we retired to central Florida 9 years ago.

The large retirement community where we live is full of active people.
Large Retirement community in Central Florida? Is it The Villages, as that is more North than Central?
Old 04-19-2021, 05:38 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
After 35 years in Florida I'm looking to get out soon. Although that won't free up much room for all the people moving down, I'm happy to let someone have my spot.
You have no fears of this Medic moving there.. LOL
Old 04-19-2021, 05:42 AM   #58

I would hate summers there, and I have hurricane-a-phobia.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:19 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

My family has wintered in Fort Lauderdale since the 1940s.

It's not about the weather per se, but the overall lifestyle itself.

There's just something about sitting on an outdoor patio of an expensive restaurant along the Intracoastal, watching a huge yacht drift by (with bikini'd girls sunning themselves) and then getting a call from your neighbor in Boston b*tching about it being 9 degrees and a foot of snow and how he slipped on some ice, yada yada.

And, no. I can't say that the bugs are any worse than what we have in Boston on a hot summer night...at least where we live, I haven't seen a mosquito in maybe 10 years. Sand fleas, yes, roaches, yes but you spray every month for them and, again we haven't had one in our house ever.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

The hurricanes are a menace, and no mistake. No way to sugarcoat it.

As for the seven-month summers, everyone can make up his own mind about whether the other 5 months of spring and fall make up for it. Personally I dislike Florida summers with their endless 88-92 degrees F., but they are less awful (if far longer) than a Maryland midsummer with its 100 degrees temperature and 98 degrees humidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I would hate summers there, and I have hurricane-a-phobia.
Closed Thread