What's with everyone running to Florida??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lived in central Florida for 20+ years. There is nothing good about it. Nothing to see here. We are full. Thank you for your interest....now please go away.

Yeah, we are about a 90-minute drive west of you, and I feel the same way..........nothing to do or see, so please look elsewhere, thank you.

Nothing new about moving to Florida. I remember my grandmother's friends moving to Florida when I was about 12 - and my parents discussing it as a possible retirement destination.

After 17 moves during our working career we retired to central Florida 9 years ago. It is my favorite place of anywhere. We lived in several places in NY, Pa and California. New Hampshire, Arizona, rural Tennessee and so on, yet Florida is my favorite.

The large retirement community where we live is full of active people. Every day during the pandemic I walked and rode my bike, as soon as the pools opened I swam every day. We have a large enclosed lanai where we could read and get fresh air. People met outside spaced to talk, picnic and socialize.

Now that things are getting more normal there are nice beach trips, kayaking and tubing. Bike riding on numerous rails to trails. Traffic is awful in some areas, but rarely too bad here. We often RV for the summer months, as well as to to different areas in Florida to the coasts.

Not perfect but close to it for us. I love it.

I was stationed at Orlando AFB in the summer of 1965 before I went overseas. I remember bugs everywhere, wicked heat and humidity, and plenty of open spaces. The last time I was in Orlando (a few years ago), all I saw was concrete, buildings and traffic. I didn't recognize anything from my past time there.

After 17 moves during our working career we retired to central Florida 9 years ago.

The large retirement community where we live is full of active people.

Large Retirement community in Central Florida? Is it The Villages, as that is more North than Central?

After 35 years in Florida I'm looking to get out soon. Although that won't free up much room for all the people moving down, I'm happy to let someone have my spot. :D

You have no fears of this Medic moving there.. LOL

I would hate summers there, and I have hurricane-a-phobia.

My family has wintered in Fort Lauderdale since the 1940s.

It's not about the weather per se, but the overall lifestyle itself.

There's just something about sitting on an outdoor patio of an expensive restaurant along the Intracoastal, watching a huge yacht drift by (with bikini'd girls sunning themselves) and then getting a call from your neighbor in Boston b*tching about it being 9 degrees and a foot of snow and how he slipped on some ice, yada yada.

And, no. I can't say that the bugs are any worse than what we have in Boston on a hot summer night...at least where we live, I haven't seen a mosquito in maybe 10 years. Sand fleas, yes, roaches, yes but you spray every month for them and, again we haven't had one in our house ever.

Last edited:
The hurricanes are a menace, and no mistake. No way to sugarcoat it.

As for the seven-month summers, everyone can make up his own mind about whether the other 5 months of spring and fall make up for it. Personally I dislike Florida summers with their endless 88-92 degrees F., but they are less awful (if far longer) than a Maryland midsummer with its 100 degrees temperature and 98 degrees humidity.

I would hate summers there, and I have hurricane-a-phobia.

Florida must have some charm, I just heard on the radio that there are 800+ folks moving to Florida Daily. I find that hard to believe but there you are. I have no idea where they are living as there is only 1 home for sale in our 600 home gated CC community than that is way over 1m.

Large Retirement community in Central Florida? Is it The Villages, as that is more North than Central?

Yes. I’m prepared to hear all the usual garbage and lies about all the STD’s, I would never live there because I heard ... so on. This place is full of volunteers, athletes, artists, church people, crafters, game players historians and so on, living a great life and helping others. You just hear about the few crazies, drunks and so on. But it is your choice if while living here if you don’t want to participate and to stay home, watch Cable news and wring your hands about the drama they try to cook up, or be a grump. The very large majority live their best life.

I’m not sure if we are classified as central or northern, but the southern expansion here (18 foundations poured a day and houses being snapped up like hot cakes) shows the immense popularity. I know very few people who moved here and said it was a mistake. My grandkids come several times a year and love love love it. As do I.

Yes. I’m prepared to hear all the usual garbage and lies about all the STD’s, I would never live there because I heard ... so on. This place is full of volunteers, athletes, artists, church people, crafters, game players historians and so on, living a great life and helping others. You just hear about the few crazies, drunks and so on. But it is your choice if while living here if you don’t want to participate and to stay home, watch Cable news and wring your hands about the drama they try to cook up, or be a grump. The very large majority live their best life.

I’m not sure if we are classified as central or northern, but the southern expansion here (18 foundations poured a day and houses being snapped up like hot cakes) shows the immense popularity. I know very few people who moved here and said it was a mistake. My grandkids come several times a year and love love love it. As do I.

No worries, personally I have no idea what it is like. Only seen the TV documentary on it. We prefer the Coastal towns to central Florida. Everyone I have spoken too when touring that lives there loves it. Great that you found your spot.

Welcome to Florida's friendliest hometown from a fellow Villager. We have been here two years and love it.

Originally Posted by Silver
I have lived in central Florida for 20+ years. There is nothing good about it. Nothing to see here. We are full. Thank you for your interest....now please go away.
It’s no better in SW Florida either.

I see what you are doing there!
The Florida Panhandle is full too!
We'll call you if we get a vacancy.

Somehow, I always thought the village residents themselves were responsible for the STD rumors and so on. Some of them may have wanted to be perceived as swingers, rather than fuddy-duddies. The rumors persist in the wider world, because they make people laugh. I doubt it does much to keep people from moving to the villages.

Yes. I’m prepared to hear all the usual garbage and lies about all the STD’s,
I.

On the other hand, NC is a great state and we welcome all the retirees moving in so long as they bring plenty of $$.;)

I was stationed at Orlando AFB in the summer of 1965 before I went overseas. I remember bugs everywhere, wicked heat and humidity, and plenty of open spaces. The last time I was in Orlando (a few years ago), all I saw was concrete, buildings and traffic. I didn't recognize anything from my past time there.

I was also stationed in Orlando for 6 months when I was in the Navy, and I have the same memories. I'll stick with Connecticut, thanks. Although if I were forced to move to Florida, I would pick Islamorada, down in the Keys.

Last edited:
I was also stationed in Orlando for 6 months when I was in the Navy, and I have the same memories. I'll stick with Connecticut, thanks. Although if I were forced to move to Florida, I would pick Islamorada, down in the Keys.

I haven't been to the Keys since my honeymoon in 1975. I loved Key West at that time, though! History, ocean, sunsets, great diving... if I were forced to move to Florida, I would consider Key West if it has not changed. I guess the likelihood of that is about zero. Nah, I wouldn't move there.

Hoping one of our kids gets NAS Jacksonville once they're finished with training.

I've tried to analyze the original question. OP mentions warm weather and low taxes as if that's not enough. What's NOT to love? I'd think that would cover any where from a quarter to three quarters of most of our desires. It does leave out the "bad" stuff like bugs, traffic and hot weather. Unless you're right on the coast, there's virtually no "scenery" in my opinion. So, yeah, most of it's like most of the midwest but warmer and less expensive. I could see moving for that.

We did look at FL and might have considered it except we didn't have to settle for as many "bad" things when we chose Hawaii. Plenty of bad stuff here - especially traffic and HCOL. But the scenery almost everywhere is amazing and it's rarely AZ or FL hot. HI also requires another level of cultural adaptation. I think we thrive on it but some folks don't. In fact, few folks we know who moved here after we did are still here. It's simply not for everyone. Maybe that's the FL draw. If you get past the heat in summer, bugs most of the time, you can probably adapt to Florida. No, it's not "home" but it's not that different than, say, farm land in the great midwest. Then you add in the warm winters and no state tax - I ALMOST think the question answers itself - almost. YMMV

No worries, personally I have no idea what it is like. Only seen the TV documentary on it. We prefer the Coastal towns to central Florida. Everyone I have spoken too when touring that lives there loves it. Great that you found your spot.

We considered several coastal towns too. This was our best fit. I like Venice in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom