Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 09:04 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When my kids were young, I often said that if they ended up moving far away I would retire to Florida. Both kids are still nearby here in NJ, and with grandkids, so there's no way I'd leave anyway. But in my late 40's I became a runner, and for the first time in my life I did not "hibernate" in the colder weather. So now weather is not a reason for me to want to relocate - I genuinely like the change in seasons.
Please don't tell the police:
https://quotefancy.com/quote/976511/...xty-and-that-s
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

After 35 years in Florida I'm looking to get out soon. Although that won't free up much room for all the people moving down, I'm happy to let someone have my spot.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

attended a conference in Florida in December several years ago. The warmth during that time of year was nice but the humidity was not.
DH and I have no desire to relocate. Our entire family, kids, siblings and all, are all within a 30-45 minute drive.
But to those who do, go for it!
Old 04-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
I am curious. I don't get it. It seems like the knee-jerk reaction of older retirees is to move to Florida.

Nothing against Florida but ... there are other states in the Union.

I talked with a friend of mine who just moved to Florida and asked him.
He couldn't give me a straight answer, besides warm weather and lower taxes.
Left his family, and all the friends he knew, behind.
Really??

Anyway, weather is low on my list of reasons to move somewhere.
Weather was high on our list. We snowbird so the biggest benefit is perpetual summer... no state income tax, close proximity to great beaches and relatively low cost of living are the cherries on top.

My criteria for a winter location was that I could wear shorts and see palm trees. Considered Brownsville, TX area similar lattitude and weather but too near to Mexico for my liking and too far from NE. Also considered San Diego, but too expensive and also too far from NE. But Florida won.

However, we didn't leave friends and family behind... a lot of our friends from home live in the same neighborhood down here... in fact, we see each other more down here than when we're up north.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-17-2021, 10:43 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

That's another reason I like to live here in CA, no need to move to FL.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Not EVERYONE runs away in winter to Florida...
I will admit to missing snowmobiling and skiing. We had a week ski trip to Colorado planned for February until DW hurt her 65-year old knee.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

South Florida - Palm Beach, Broward, Dade counties - is almost completely developed, although it wasn't so when I attended college (lived with parents). In the early 2000's, I did a little scouting around my old haunts and realized it was not for us.

So when we moved to FL (which had always been my intent) we chose a location several counties north. Same winter weather, fewer people. Now, the issue is the limitation of our choices for services of every type. Every business owner complains of not being able to find or keep decent employees.

I agree about the beauty of western NC. We even looked seriously there, but for various reasons decided not to live there year-round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
My mother had a condo in Palm Beach Florida and I use to visit her but I hated it--way too crowded and hot for my taste. .
Old 04-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
We're about 3 hours north of you and feel the same way, though few of the Virginia mountains are high enough to deliver truly comfortable summer weather.
Yes to get to cooler summer weather you need to be a 5000 feet elevation or above. That is why we have a place at Banner Elk NC
Old 04-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #29

Put me in the camp of having absolutely no interest in Florida, It's hot and humid, crowded, and flat. I want the exact opposite on all of these.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:23 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had enough. My friends live in an oceanside condo in Golf Shores in the winter. It was her father's place.

I stopped to visit with them for a few days.

He said, he gets tired of hearing the ocean waves. We both looked at each other, and started to laugh.

JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
That looks awful. How can you stand it? Day after day, looking at that
Old 04-17-2021, 03:36 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We thought about trading Oregon life for Florida, so we spent a couple weeks of February based in Venice Beach. Really liked going the gulf and not emerging covered in goosebumps. Really liked the fish meals, and I'm not a big seafood fan. Thought finding fossilized shark teeth was neat. Attracted by the lack of state tax. People are pretty much people, even the New Jersey transplants that seemed prevalent. HATED the flat landscape and the smell of rot/old steeping grey water that seemed common.

We bounce between Oregon and SoCal, La Quinta. Too darn hot here in summer and the taxes are high - but wearing a T-shirt for a walk in the winter sunshine and living in a bowl of mountains is pretty great. Oregon is lacking in a visible sun during the winter and spring and also has high taxes - but the hills and glorious greenery and fir forests in the summer and fall are wonderful. Keep looking for a perfect single place that has few people but plenty of stores and medical care, great weather year round, vistas that impress, and cheap taxes. Haven't found that yet.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We had some land on Sanibel Island (where I would live if I did Florida). Just sold it.

I am thinking in a few years maybe we'll start doing a month somewhere in the Caribbean so we can sail and drink rum. Florida is just to much of a monoculture for me.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We thought about trading Oregon life for Florida, so we spent a couple weeks of February based in Venice Beach. Really liked going the gulf and not emerging covered in goosebumps. Really liked the fish meals, and I'm not a big seafood fan. Thought finding fossilized shark teeth was neat. Attracted by the lack of state tax. People are pretty much people, even the New Jersey transplants that seemed prevalent. HATED the flat landscape and the smell of rot/old steeping grey water that seemed common.

We bounce between Oregon and SoCal, La Quinta. Too darn hot here in summer and the taxes are high - but wearing a T-shirt for a walk in the winter sunshine and living in a bowl of mountains is pretty great. Oregon is lacking in a visible sun during the winter and spring and also has high taxes - but the hills and glorious greenery and fir forests in the summer and fall are wonderful. Keep looking for a perfect single place that has few people but plenty of stores and medical care, great weather year round, vistas that impress, and cheap taxes. Haven't found that yet.
Look at the area around Asheville NC, not in the city limits, but somewhere a short drive from Asheville like Weaverville or Black Mountain. Ashville has a very good hospital. NC does have income tax but the real estate taxes are low. Nice 4 season weather. Wonderful green mountains and waterfalls and lots of sunny days. It would be worth a trip if you have never visited.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We thought about trading Oregon life for Florida, so we spent a couple weeks of February based in Venice Beach. ... HATED the flat landscape and the smell of rot/old steeping grey water that seemed common.
That's nothing - try red tide for a real treat. The quality of life for folks who live near the coast can be seriously impaired or even ruined by red tide for months on end. This is yet another risk factor to consider when thinking about your Florida dream home.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #35

I never had any desire to move to FL. Too crowded (I hate crowds) and too hot in the summer. My younger sister lived about a half-hour north of Miami for eight years or so and described the weather as "D.C. in August for ten months of the year" so I want nothing to do with that. My original plan was for one of the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama, or around there. Basically the only ice I want to ever see will be in my drink. Yes I know that occasionally they do get snow but a "blizzard" down there is two inches and it's gone in two days. That I can handle.

DW had other plans that did not include moving that far from family, and not wanting to create that kind of rift, and really it's only cold for two or three months of the year here so I can deal with it.

Still, I have a dream: "House for sale. Snow blower conveys. Ha ha ha!"
Old 04-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Yes to get to cooler summer weather you need to be a 5000 feet elevation or above. That is why we have a place at Banner Elk NC
The area in the Virginia mountains that I visit most often is at about 3200 feet, and it can still get quite hot.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Well we love FLA with all the heat and everything else. My DGF gets cold at 60, so there is that.
It works for us in retirement and don't see moving out of state.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Well I heard a new term this week, halfback, so all the NY/NJ peeps that move to Florida but then realize its not for them, so they land in NC (ie. halfway back).
Not just NC. I'm a southern boy and live in SC on a beautiful lake near the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. Went to a meet and greet last week for newcomers. About 90% were from New York or New Jersey and half of them were halfbacks from Florida.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #39

Real Estate at 22 cents on the dollar from the 2007 peak back in 2011 was incentive enough for us to buy in Palm Beach County. Who we move there permanently from Southern California? No way. The beaches are great and the Palm Beach area is certainly nice. Until international travel resumes, we will be visiting our condo more often.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:37 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I have been to Florida briefly maybe 5-10 times, on vacation or on work trips. I think it is very appealing. I love the sunshine, the warm weather, the beaches, the natural beauty, and the casual lifestyle in Florida.

However, it has one HUGE disadvantage that will keep me from ever moving there. That disadvantage is, that Frank doesn't want to live there. So, don't hold your breath. I would never leave him just to move to another state. LOL That would be silly.

Honestly I don't care because we are very happy here in Louisiana.
Closed Thread