What's your Poison (Liquor) of Choice these days??

Libations:confused:

I agree with FinanceDude, Tanqueray and Tonic, especially on a cruise. My DW and I WILL be drinking these when the Celebrity Millennium leaves Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday!

We're also taking on a couple of nice red wines (French, Argentinian, etc.).

My DW is also a Belgian beer lover!

Ciao!O0

Soooo many poisons to choose from - and it all depends on the meal, the social setting, and sometimes the season.

Wine preferences: sauvignon blanc, malbec blends
Beer preferences: Guiness, stouts, Hefeweitzens (Chimay is another fantastic Belgium product)

Mixed drinks: well, often whatever the house special is! (freshly made hurricanes in New Orleans were good - but the pre-mixed ones from the big vats, ewwww!) Had a fantastic Apple & Thyme Martini last night: fresh seasonal bonza apples shaken with homemade thyme syrup and plymouth gin, lifted with apple liquer, and then finely balanced and shaken with freshly squeezed lemon juice - served straight up. MMMMMMM!!

Mostly red wine or sam adams seasonals, but Balvenie 12yr scotch (w/ splash of water) for special occasions.

Aberguten: 2 fingers of brandy, a splash of peppermint schnaps floating on top. Sounds awful, but it sure tasted good that night in Northern Wisconsin camping. Kept the mosquitos away.

I'm with RunningBum and 72s.... I keep a gallon of diet ice green tea in the ice box at all times. I also like a Tangueray and tonic and have a glass of wine or two with dinner.

Did I mention that TeeRuh (t.r.) stands for Tangueray? A name given to me by friends at the neighborhood pub. I'm pretty much a beer drinker but per these nere-do-wells when I switch to Tangueray and Tonic things get "lively". No idea ...At home I sometimes like an Irish Whiskey (Clontiff) or Dewar's. (both with a splash of water.)t.r.

Beer, obviously. Mostly homebrew. Always amazed at what beer costs when I buy it in the store.

Also enjoy whiskey, especially small batch bourbon, single malt scotch, some of the canadians. Aged rum is nice, especially rhum agricole. A fan of tequila, as well, although I mostly stick to the silver variety. Hard to go wrong with good brandy either.

Beer, obviously. Mostly homebrew. Always amazed at what beer costs when I buy it in the store.

Also enjoy whiskey, especially small batch bourbon, single malt scotch, some of the canadians. Aged rum is nice, especially rhum agricole. A fan of tequila, as well, although I mostly stick to the silver variety. Hard to go wrong with good brandy either.

Woulda been easier to say you don't like vodka ;).

Aberguten: 2 fingers of brandy, a splash of peppermint schnaps floating on top. Sounds awful, but it sure tasted good that night in Northern Wisconsin camping. Kept the mosquitos away.

Yukon Jack + peppermint schnaps = Old Snowshoe
(Went to college on the NY/Canadian border)

Worked the retail liquor industry 16 years before I retired. Used to drink Jim Beam and coke. After retirement, switched to diet coke to avoid weight gain, but the Jim Beam started tasting too sweet with the diet coke. Was at the liquor store one day and they had 1.75L of Old Crow on sale for $11.99--bought one on a lark and liked it--so now it's Old Crow & diet coke. Occasionally do Gilby's Gin, but only like it with the diet 'Twist Off' lemon/lime soda that Walmart sells. When it's wine time, gotta be Cabernet Sauvignon (tried Charles Shaw for a while, but have upgraded since then). In response to Cute Fuzzy Bunny's post# 23, I was always told never to drink anything you can see through.

Last edited:
German wines

blended whiskey (cheaper the better) and 7UP/Sprite/Twist/Coke

Like Payin I have found the cheaper stuff seems to mix well.

A pint of Guinness paired up with a shot of Jameson to sip.

mmmmm......Delicious!

Maker's Mark on the rocks is my standard. So take heart Rich, there are young folks that love bourbon.

Hendricks Gin with a splash of tonic

I'm trying to cut back on the beer, it's put an extra 10lbs on me already

An Irish carbomb would be a half shot of Jameson and a half shot of Baileys dropped into a pint of Guinness and chugged.

Mmmm - these are suprisingly good! ( I limit these to St. Patrick's Day!)

No. An Irish carbomb would be a half shot of Jameson and a half shot of Baileys dropped into a pint of Guinness and chugged.

I prefer to sip my beer and liquor.

Baileys...........mmmmmmmm:D

Favorite Bailey's story:

I went on a Northwoods fishing trip with friends from Atlanta, in early May. All week long the weather guys had been warning about a cold front while the temp was in the 50's.

When we woke up on morning number 2, it was 26 degrees, and the wind chill made it 17. Something was needed, so when we got to the place where the boats were, I suggested a "hot toddie". It was agreed upon..:)

This bar had the big old pottery mugs for coffee, so I asked the bartender how much to fill up 4 of those with half Baileys and half coffee. He said he didn't know, and charged me $10, so I gave him a $5 tip........:)

The boys drank those like a baby drinks milk, and then we ordered another round.......:)

I witnessed crazy things about an hour later, like guys taking their coats off in the 20 degree air. However, it was universally agreed that Bailey's and coffee is a fine way to take the chill out..............

Back
Top Bottom