What's your Poison (Liquor) of Choice these days??

I remember when I was a kid my friend Wally would only drink the cheapest stuff around. Weiderman beer. We used to call him Wally Weiderman.

Tequila cookies are good!

TEQUILA COOKIES
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup of granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 cups of dried fruit, such as dried cranberries or raisins
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila (silver or gold, as desired)

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK, try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Pick the frigging fruit off floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one tablepoon egg. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher

**** CHERRY MISTMAS ****

To me, B&B is the nectar of the gods....

I remember when I was a kid my friend Wally would only drink the cheapest stuff around. Weiderman beer. We used to call him Wally Weiderman.

The George Wiedemann Breing Company, Newport KY. I attribute not a few of my bad habits to having been weaned directly from the breast onto Wiedemann's. Teenage growth was supported mainly by Wiedemann's and pork rinds. Better than champagne and caviar. :)

IMO, none finer. Hated to see it go.

Ha

I love Campari

It's a red Italian liquor that is very bitter. It's an aperitif apparently, but I drink it anytime. Great on its own or with a bit of OJ and lemon juice. I have yet to meet anyone who actually likes this drink as much as me (or likes it at all). Very popular in Italy though.

I am with you. I love Campari and soda. Especialy refreshing in the summertime sitting on a siedwalk cafe.

Other than that I love red wine, especially italian cabs and argentinian malbecs. Duvel is my favorite beer.

Duvel is my favorite beer.

I love Duvel! I have a Duvel bottle opener keychain, four Duvel beer glasses, and some cold Duvel ready for X-mas.........:)

Frank and I don't drink because we have each had bad experiences with alcoholics in the past. Plus, he doesn't like the stuff. I do, but not enough to take the risk (bad genes in that regard).

If you do NOT like the taste of an alcoholic beverage - don't drink.
If you like the taste of an alcoholic beverage - drink.
If you GREATLY like the taste of an alcoholic beverage - don't drink.

I don't drink beer or liquor of any kind .

That is a shame. You wake in the morning knowing that is the best you are going to feel all day. (Just kidding.) :D

My preference is for a good bourbon on the rocks or a good bitters for a brew.

If you do NOT like the taste of an alcoholic beverage - don't drink.

Last week there was an article in the WSJ about scotch in the $300-$1000 range. The author talked about Laphroaig a "challenging" whisky with a “signature taste of seaweed soaked in iodine” and “phenolic, tarry and medicinal” taste. He then went on to describe how, after much hard work, he learned to like it! The idea of spending $300 or so, and then working hard to like it!

Last week there was an article in the WSJ about scotch in the $300-$1000 range. The author talked about Laphroaig a "challenging" whisky with a “signature taste of seaweed soaked in iodine” and “phenolic, tarry and medicinal” taste. He then went on to describe how, after much hard work, he learned to like it! The idea of spending $300 or so, and then working hard to like it!

I thought i should be more discriminating in my tastes and that scotch would be an appropriate drink. Bought like 4 different single malts at one time so i could taste test and sure enough i could tell the difference between them - one had a very distinct odor of burning tires. After grinding my way through them (not too bad once i decided that it was ok to make Rusty Nails) i went back to Canadian and Pepsi. I gots no culture. Don't even care for fine cigars.

At $300 -$1,000 a bottle I would instantly become a "tee-totaler". I prefer good and inexpensive (often difficult to have both). Thankfully I do not have sophisticated taste buds.

That's about my fave Canuck whiskey. A few years ago while on a business trip to Toronto and wondering what to do with my remaining CAD, I happened across a bottle of Crown Royal Reserve in the duty free shop. Amazing stuff.

This 'un's pretty old but I gotta agree, that Crown Royal Reserve's some purty good stuff. Being able to pick it up at the military package store for $30 for a 750 ml isn't too bad either...:)

Nothing fancy here tonight. A little Old Forester with a splash of coke. I like a tame bourbon and this comes at a reasonable price tag. An early retiree on a budget. ;)

Ah, nothing quite like a nice Charles Shaw Merlot. Perfectly drinkable, and at a reasonable price. :)

A little coffee flavored Patron.

Outside of a margarita at Chili's once, I don't believe I've tried Patron. It's pretty expensive, to me anyway. I saw it on the shelf this evening for $49.50...I believe it was a 750 ml bottle, but not for sure. I did pick up a 1L bottle of Cuervo Gold, and a 750ml of the Crown Royal Reserve. Maybe I'll try the Patron next time...but it will be awhile since a bottle of anything lasts me a good while. I figure the wife & I will have a margarita or two while I'm off work between yesterday and January 3rd. She doesn't drink anything other than a margarita now & then, so we're pretty much set for a little while at least.

Outside of a margarita at Chili's once, I don't believe I've tried Patron. It's pretty expensive, to me anyway. I saw it on the shelf this evening for $49.50...I believe it was a 750 ml bottle, but not for sure. I did pick up a 1L bottle of Cuervo Gold, and a 750ml of the Crown Royal Reserve. Maybe I'll try the Patron next time...but it will be awhile since a bottle of anything lasts me a good while. I figure the wife & I will have a margarita or two while I'm off work between yesterday and January 3rd. She doesn't drink anything other than a margarita now & then, so we're pretty much set for a little while at least.
The Patron is a little expensive but a 750 ml bottle will last me many months and the coffee flavored is so good it's worth it.

My tastes were pretty frugal until I took a trip to Scotland a few years ago and was introduced to the world of single malt scotch. I now tour the country, vicariously, through various single malts. Each area has its tastes. My favorite now is Laugavulin 16. I try to stretch a bottle for about six months. It goes perfectly with a very dark chocolate in front of a fire or while watching your favorite old movie. It's about the only indulgence I allow myself.

Seeing how alcohol ruins lives, I follow some rules for drinking:

1. Intentionally drink things I like, no drinking just to get drunk, no shots
2. No more than 2 drinks in an evening
3. Drink at most every other day, ideally more like once a week
4. Always measure
5. Always take the opportunity to try something new

I learned to appreciate sipping small batch and single barrel bourbon in my early 20's, so I could be a manly drinker. I hated beer and didn't want to be the guy ordering appletinis or fruity pink drinks. I found $25-35 for a 750ml bottle is the range where more money stops getting anything better. Knob Creek, Makers, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, etc. - it's all good. I tried a bottle of Wild Turkey kentucky spirit for $50, but it wasn't any better than the cheaper stuff.

I since learned I don't hate beer, I hate the cheap pilsners people in their early 20's drink. Plenty of great beer out there. I have recently been enjoying a beer brewed by New Glarus that tastes like apples! I bought a case of bourbon stout about 2 years ago I am still working through. At 3 drinks worth of alcohol in one $5 bottle of beer, it takes a special reason to break one out.

I also learned that I should have cultivated a taste for single malt scotch, instead of bourbon. While both are manly, Scotch is affluent and manly! When I finally work through the selection of bourbon I have, I plan on going this route. It takes me at least 6 months to consume a 750ml bottle though, so this will be slow going. It's like a 5 year plan for drinking! I do have a book on whisky that will guide me through. I wish the finer drinks came in smaller bottles. It's annoying to spend $50 on something that ends up as mixer.

I have very little experience appreciating wine. My wife doesn't drink, and I have a hard time finishing the 6 drinks in a bottle before it will go bad. I have recently been making a point to at least try the different types, so I have the ability to pick something based on the name. The names are like a secret code that do nothing to convey what is in the bottle. I find that very annoying.

I never count how many drinks I have in a week, but guess that it is 10 or less, because there are many days I do not have a beer or a glass of wine.

I drink beer, wine, hard liquor, whatever I happen to think of when I feel like having some. For hard liquor, people here know I am partial to French brandy or Cognac, but I also drink whiskey and gin. Tequila, I can have in a margarita, but not a dry shot as I do not like its flavor.

In a recent RV trip through Idaho, I made a point to visit its wine country. I was happy to discover a distillery there, called Koenig. Bought several bottles of their different fruit brandies for myself and my siblings as gifts. Their huckleberry-flavored vodka is also good; it was explained to me that the sweetness "taste" comes from the smell of the berry, and there is no sugar in this distilled eau de vie. Our senses play trick on us!

brandyapricot.jpg

brandycherry.jpg

The next time my RV takes me through Oregon, I will make sure to visit a pear brandy distillery there. I have a bottle like this in my booze cabinet, but want to support domestic producers.

5324.jpg

Last edited:
Merry Christmas, all! If you are drinking today (or any day), don't forget to have a designated driver.

Just went out to my cabinet to check. My pear bottle is labeled "La Prisonnière by Jean Danflou" (Prisonnière means a woman prisoner), so it is French, and not German made.

I have had it for many years, and one has to keep the "prisoner" submerged in alcohol all the time. Have been topping it off with another brand of pear brandy (it is less expensive without the captive fruit) but sadly the taste is not the same as the original, which I like better. Should have sought out the same brand for refill, but then I am not a meticulous drinker.

Back
Top Bottom