Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Out of frustration - when my old one doesn't work anymore

Votes: 47 45.2%
  • I run my old computer to the ground...try to keep it forever

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • I don't know...usually an impulse purchase

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
I use this and it works like a charm. USB Hubs - CPH720P | CyberPower Systems, Inc.

I think not upgrading your MS SW is the single most important thing you can do to extend the usable life of your current computer.

I got my USB card to plug into my laptop. Feels good to be back up and functioning again. The simple pleasures of using a mouse instead of having to rely on a touch pad and having working USB ports.

My hard drive doesn't work on my new USB port (I think it's a power issue). Luckily, it still seems to work on one of my old ports (knock on wood). Don't know exactly what's not working, what happened (static the cuprit?). At least my laptop functions now..it's still alive :D

I usually upgrade based on technology... either a new operating system is needed to be compatible with new software or processor speed/memory upgradeability.

I got my USB card to plug into my laptop. Feels good to be back up and functioning again. The simple pleasures of using a mouse instead of having to rely on a touch pad and having working USB ports.

My hard drive doesn't work on my new USB port (I think it's a power issue). Luckily, it still seems to work on one of my old ports (knock on wood). Don't know exactly what's not working, what happened (static the cuprit?). At least my laptop functions now..it's still alive :D
External drive? I had a similar power problem with a backup drive I bought. Tech support confirmed that it was a product power issue and they sent at no charge a separate power cable. Their newer models all have USB power cables (need 2 slots) and separate DC power adapters.

Yes. An external USB powered drive. Western Digital brand.

There is a jack for an optional 5V power.

Seems that the drive likes the USB port in the back of my laptop. The USB ports in of my new laptop card work fine for the lowered powered devices (mice, etc.).

Easysurfer, it looks like the USB cable for the clickfree backup unit I have - the original USB cable. It didn't work, even when I disconnected all other USB devices and plugged both into my laptop.

Clearly the problem is my laptop USB connectors, as this "two headed USB cable" works with others computers. Even so, I'm not sure how well they work with USB expansion systems like the one I linked to earlier.

There is only so much you can package into a laptop.

Thanks for the info. The WD hard drive connected to my laptop quick being recognized again this morning. If I uninstall/reinstall the usb drivers to those ports, it'll get recognized again, only temporarily.

All the issues on my laptop just started after my experience with static charge. The HD had worked fine using those ports in the back.

My next idea (workaround) might to to get a large enough flash drive and use that on my USB card and not even use the HD. I'll have to look at my data requirements first.

Thanks for the info. The WD hard drive connected to my laptop quick being recognized again this morning. If I uninstall/reinstall the usb drivers to those ports, it'll get recognized again, only temporarily.

All the issues on my laptop just started after my experience with static charge. The HD had worked fine using those ports in the back.

My next idea (workaround) might to to get a large enough flash drive and use that on my USB card and not even use the HD. I'll have to look at my data requirements first.

This is a long shot, but I've heard of some laptop problems being cured by shutting down and removing the battery and all power. Attempt to turn it on with all power removed (this might draw down any residual energy stored in caps). Leave it sit for a few hours or overnight. Then put the battery back and try.

Sometimes this resets stuff that won't get reset in any other way.

-ERD50

I am dying to try Windows 7, but my Vista computers are chugging along just fine, for now. :(

If my laptop does not crater in the next year or two, maybe I'll think of some excuse to give it to a friend and buy a newer Windows 7 machine (unless a newer operating system is out by that time).
Windows 7 is what Vista WISHES it could be when it GROWS UP.......:greetings10:

My laptop may not have cratered yet, but I did - - after reading this thread I just couldn't stop thinking about getting a new Dell Windows 7 laptop, and on an impulse I decided to take advantage of the Black Friday specials. It should arrive in a week.

Maybe I will be able to justify it to myself by then. This was definitely a want, and not a need. But it fits into my SWR withdrawal for this year.
:blush: :whistle:

Last edited:
I got a new computer this week. My last one (laptop) was stolen from our room while vacationing in Mexico.

I got a new computer this week. My last one (laptop) was stolen from our room while vacationing in Mexico.

Now, see? That's a GREAT justification for buying a new laptop. All I have is "but, but, but... Windows 7 is cool, my old laptop is no longer shiny and new, and I want a Dell!" :LOL:

Now, see? That's a GREAT justification for buying a new laptop. All I have is "but, but, but... Windows 7 is cool, my old laptop is no longer shiny and new, and I want a Dell!" :LOL:

If it is not THAT old, an upgrade is really the way to go.

For instance: Windows 7 Home Premium Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium OEM Microsoft Windows 7

For $115 and a few minutes of your time, you can be up-to-date. We did this with two laptops that were about three years old with no problems.

I just got my DW a new Mac Air. Wow very neat. I find I am using my IPAD more and more and my old lap top(Fujitsu) less and less. Apple has really changed the game over the past couple of years. Very impressive.

I got in on the Dell Black Friday sale, so I did save a little. Delivery of my new Dell Inspiron laptop is scheduled for next Thursday. :D :dance:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom