Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When do you get a new computer?
When the price is right 3 2.88%
When I need to keep up with current to technology 19 18.27%
Out of frustration - when my old one doesn't work anymore 47 45.19%
I run my old computer to the ground...try to keep it forever 30 28.85%
I don't know...usually an impulse purchase 5 4.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

When do you get a new computer?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When do you get a new computer?

I'm fooling around trying to get my laptop and it's USB connection to work right:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ice-52976.html

I thought it might the a zapped mouse, then a USB hub, then maybe the usb drivers, now I think it's back to the mouse. In the meantime I hear myself saying, "I need a new laptop..."

So, that lead me to this poll. When do you usually get a new computer?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can't vote, I get one when DW want's it. We just got an Apple Desk Top, pretty cool.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the reply. I knew I should have added a 6th selection.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When of the three I usually keep running craps out beyond repair. Then Ebay for something not too new. My newest one is about 10 years old Dell. 2 running XPpro, one Win2Kpro. DW's Dell is around 8 yrs old.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I usually replace my computers out of frustration. My 3.5-year old computer is starting to frustrate me. Things are slowly falling apart (DVD Drive gone, sound card buggy, fans getting noisy, one RAM stick not working anymore, etc...). Not frustrating enough for me to get a new computer just yet, but getting there.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I never have though about it, but I seem to do with my computers/printers what I do with my vehicles~maintain them so that they last as long as possible and when they die, donate the remains to charity. Example~ my printer is a 1995 model but computer is only a 2005 edition.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My current computer is a Toshiba Tecra laptop, vintage 2003. I upgraded the hard drive 4 years ago. I usually buy the best business computer I can afford, because they are more resilient. This baby has traveled all over north America, Europe and even to the Middle East with me. Everything is still working fine despite a few dents and scratches.

In the near future I am going to consider adding a tablet, not to replace my laptop, but to complement it and make traveling more convenient. Just waiting for more competition in the tablet market.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Bought next to last PC and monitor late 2002. Replaced current PC in 2008, same monitor. I replace when the last one is not longer functional...about 5 years, hope to extend that in the years ahead.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I voted for the "Current Technology" choice. However, the new doesn't just replace the old one. I generally keep a computer until one of two things happen:

1. Hardware failure becomes an issue -- for instance, parts no longer available.

2. I run out of desk/office space because of the above "Current Technology" issue.

Currently, I have two Windows XP machines (oldest about eight years), one Windows Vista machine (about five years), and a Windows 7 Laptop (maybe two years old).

I am beginning to search for a replacement for the Windows Vista machine (Dual core 2.4 Ghz with 4 GB memory and dual HD -- 160 GB and 250 GB). I built this one myself and will, most likely, do the same for the replacement.
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #10

It depends on the cost of the issue. If your PC has a problem and costs more than 50% to repair vs. cost of a new PC, then it makes sense to just buy a new one. Then you can always salvage the usable parts to sell or keep as a spare or to tinker with on another project.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

When friends are giving away project computers or when Dell gives away free monitors with a PC purchase...

Next up in Simplyfing Saturday for me, though, is cleaning off our six-year-old Mac Mini and getting rid of it and all the accompanying KVM equipment. Maybe the Mac Computer Museum is looking for one of the original PowerPC models.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I am dying to try Windows 7, but my Vista computers are chugging along just fine, for now.

If my laptop does not crater in the next year or two, maybe I'll think of some excuse to give it to a friend and buy a newer Windows 7 machine (unless a newer operating system is out by that time).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I voted for out of frustration. But I suppose, I try to run it to the ground, then out of frustration, I'll get a computer when things totally konk out.

My previous laptop (HP Pavillion), stopped functioning properly (funny, I forgot what had stopped working) and in trying to repair it, I ended up taking in apart. Being a laptop, once taken apart isn't as easy to put back together as a desktop In otherwords, I had to pitch it as all was left was just parts.

I ending up getting a used Dell Latitude D600 which is the one I have now, but is a bit on the fritz at the moment.

I'm almost tempted to get a min-tower (micro case) instead of a used laptop.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #14

Computers seem to last about three years for me. Either something goes drastically wrong with it, or it just starts feeling so slow that I'm frustrated with its response time.

The main machine is an iMac desktop, but I also have a laptop, and one is always considerably newer than the other, so I always have a spare when needed.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

For me, it is simply technology. I've given in to the fact that computers just need to be replaced at least every 5 or 6 years. This may plateau, but for now it seems about right.

My pet peeve is that it is such a hassle to move all your programs and settings from old to new. In a better world, the hard drive from old would just plug into a slot on the new computer and all programs and files would automatically migrate to the new computer seamlessly.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted When the price is right but it could easily be frustration or not working. Currently have Dell precision 530 that I bought about four years ago when it was two years old. Dual xeon processors
2GB RDRAM. Linux running on the SCSI Drive XP on a 160 GB and another 160 GB for data backup with two external backup drives. Drives are getting on newest is about 5 years. It may be time to treat myself to a new box with two TB drives and a solid state drive to boot from. Replaced monitor last spring after 10 years.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
For me, it is simply technology. I've given in to the fact that computers just need to be replaced at least every 5 or 6 years. This may plateau, but for now it seems about right.

My pet peeve is that it is such a hassle to move all your programs and settings from old to new. In a better world, the hard drive from old would just plug into a slot on the new computer and all programs and files would automatically migrate to the new computer seamlessly.
A computer technologist can create a "ghost drive" of your old computer and load it onto your new one. I've had that done but I'll bet there are many forum members who know how to do it themselves.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
A computer technologist can create a "ghost drive" of your old computer and load it onto your new one. I've had that done but I'll bet there are many forum members who know how to do it themselves.
Yes, this can be easily done and there are many programs that make it a "piece of cake." However, it is not that simple. Anti-priracy considerations prevent that as a viable solution.
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:37 PM   #19

My son and I build a new one every few years. We both game on them so once the games become too burdensome we upgrade. We don't try to be on the forefront of technology/games so are able to build reasonably priced computers using one generation behind hardware. This means it is a) cheaper, b) plenty of time for reviews to separate the good components from the bad and c) drivers and glitches are fixed.

DD
Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #20

The third choice for me. My MacBook went kaput in August after 4 years. Fortunately my son was due for a visit in a couple of days so I waited it out to consult him. He ordered a new hard drive and installed it for me and my computer is as good as new.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote