Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When Eating Out, Do You Tip On The Bill Pre or Post Tax?
I tip on the bill before taxes are added in. 61 41.50%
I tip on the bill after taxes are added in. 76 51.70%
other 10 6.80%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Come to think about it, I've been lazy and generally double the tax as the tip. So, I really don't calculate based on before or after the tax added in.
Same here. We've got 9% sales tax (LA county) so that's 18% tip pre-tax. I increase it to 20% for good service. I do tip $5 minimum for less pricey restaurants or if I only have a small meal. I rarely eat out though (always brown bag my lunches).
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From Rodi's link:
Quote:
while 22% tipped a flat amount no matter what the bill, and the gratuity left averaged $4.67.
That's very interesting as I've never known anyone to tip this way, but perhaps those who do this just don't admit it, never do it with others present, or are in a completely different demographic.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

My problem is at fancy restaurants where the servers are snooty and think they're doing you a great favor by serving you. They are certainly skilled (have the spiel down for what the specials are with fancy wording to describe the dishes), but many times that's the last time they spend any considerable time serving us. Others do robotic and impersonal delivery from the kitchen and water refills. I get much better, more personalized, higher concern for my satisfaction at my informal local $10 per meal place, so I have a hard time justifying even 15%, pre tax at the expensive places.....
+1. We've had this a few times, and yes, we adjust tip down considerably, don't come back, and DW leaves an even more detailed trip advisor review than usual. Luckily, it has been rare for us. (Last one that comes readily to mind was Commander's Palace in NOLA about 4 years ago.) Either we have been lucky, and/or DW's extensive due diligence on restaurants (whatever the price range) has been worth it.

Will be interesting when we retire and have more time to go out to eat; probably will have more duds when we step up to a restaurant meal every week.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

We rarely go out to eat anymore, preferring to do our own thing. The single exception is our Chinese/Mongolian restaurant, which is incredible, with sushi, stir fry, 50 entrees, 20 fresh fruits and veggies, and 40 different desserts.
All of that and the total meal price for two, including tax, is now $12.56. I never leave less than $5. When we bring friends and family, we get a separate room. Always leave 30%... 'cuz we like the people and like to show appreciation for the food and the services. Always an extra $1 for the sushi chef, even though I only take a few pieces.
Any other restaurants... 20+%.
If we ate out more often, it would be different.
Minimum Wage?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Minimum Wage?

Is the minimum wage for restaurant staff $2.13 per hour in most states?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Oh, ouch. That's not right. Wait staff should earn at least minimum wage with the tips being just bonus.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just went to In-Out Burger in Rohnert Park, CA. There was a posting for jobs on the front door as you walked in. It was for $12/hour plus advancement opportunities.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
Oh, ouch. That's not right. Wait staff should earn at least minimum wage with the tips being just bonus.

Quote:
The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any pay period, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.
If tips do not bring the employee up to the minimum wage then the employer is required to make them whole.... so in essence at least a portion of tips effectively goes to the employer in that they can pay the server a lower wage... at least for those on the bottom of the ladder.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Just went to In-Out Burger in Rohnert Park, CA. There was a posting for jobs on the front door as you walked in. It was for $12/hour plus advancement opportunities.
But they don't receive tips do they? Never been to an In-Out but I assume it is a fancy McDonalds and I don't tip there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But they don't receive tips do they? Never been to an In-Out but I assume it is a fancy McDonalds and I don't tip there.
I was just guessing that a waiter for table service around here will get more then this and then there are the tips. I notice the staff has low turnover at restaurants we go to so I am guessing (again) that things are working out well for them. Here is a link that shows the minimum wage by state and California is at $10: U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees

Note, I am not using this as an excuse to tip low.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #51

I usually tip 20% pre tax. I am tipping for service not tipping for being taxed. I do like the idea of using the tax for a quick calculation of the tip and then adjusting upward. I also pay cash and not a credit card for three reasons. I want to avoid problems with the card leaving my control and the possibility of identity theft that happens all too often, the possibility of tip adjustment on the bill after I leave as was mentioned earlier, and to make sure the server actually gets the tip and not the restaurant.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #52

20% on total bill rounded up. Most wait staff work very hard. I view it as a way to pass it forward a bit.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #53

Quote:
This varies by state - here in CA the minimum wage is higher than the federal min. wage. Wait staff gets minimum wage PLUS tips.
You can check out state by state here.
U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees

In & Out is in CA - so the $12/hour is higher than the minimum wage. But no one tips at In & Out - it's fastfood/counter service.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

In'N'Out does things right - they have cheerful competent staff and while they are fast food they are top of the game as far as staffing goes. No tipping.

I try to tip in cash to be sure I'm tipping the waitperson, not the restaurant. There is a risk some of those tips may not be declared on the waitperson's taxes, but its a risk I'm willing to happily take. Figure Uncle Sam doesn't need the money as much as Mr or Ms Poverty wages does.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
This varies by state - here in CA the minimum wage is higher than the federal min. wage. Wait staff gets minimum wage PLUS tips.
You can check out state by state here.
U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees

In & Out is in CA - so the $12/hour is higher than the minimum wage. But no one tips at In & Out - it's fastfood/counter service.
I think we are on the same page (see above).
Old 02-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
When dining with DW she always tells me, err recommends, what to tip and I reduce it by 5%. Tip should based on the cost of the purchased food but tax of 8% or so should not be part of the calculations. Aspect of LBYM.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Tip should based on the cost of the purchased food but tax of 8% or so should not be part of the calculations. Aspect of LBYM.
Seattle tax is ~10%. So if the pretax check is $100, the tax is $10 and @20% tip that tip is an extra $2 on the tax alone. 20% of $100 is $20. 20% of $110 is $22.

Certainly not huge, so imo it is just a matter of preference. I have never noticed anyone not appreciating >= 20% on the pretax check. I have some diet issues, so I always tip more when someone has carefully checked in the kitchen for me.

I tip for service, not to "pay forward". I might well tip less if my eating out experiences tended to be one and done, but I am a repeat customer everywhere we go.

Ha
Old 02-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #58

I always tip 20% after tax, unless it is poor service, usually more when it is breakfast (i like my bottomless cup)

IMHO, if you go to a restaurant with the knowledge that you will tip less than 15%, unless it is poor service, you should not go to that restaurant.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

DW mentioned that a friend has a little tip card cheat sheet someone gave her. She keeps it under her credit card.

So I made my own and will test it out tonight. It's just a matrix with total bill and tip % (15%, 17.5%, 20%). Rounded the tip to a dollar estimate. Makes it easy when I don't have my glasses on. And it does not tip on the tax (about 8.8% around here).
Old 02-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #60
gone traveling

I don't tip at all when in Europe.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote