When Eating Out, Do You Tip On The Bill Pre or Post Tax?

When Eating Out, Do You Tip On The Bill Pre or Post Tax?

• I tip on the bill before taxes are added in.

Votes: 61 41.5%
  • I tip on the bill after taxes are added in.

Votes: 76 51.7%
  • other

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
I generally tip minimum of 20% on the before-tax bill, then round up. Rounding up makes up for adding it to the credit card bill and the wait staff losing 2-4% of "their" tip. I also use the "full value" of the meal when I use a coupon or get a Senior discount. If the service is terrible, then seldom do less than 15%. I tip on the pretax amount because I don't feel that the wait staff should get a bump up just because they work in a higher taxed area, but they should get a fair tip for their efforts.

DW and I had dinner (salad bar) at a Ruby Tuesday this evening. I noticed that they listed various tip amounts (15, 18, and 20%) on the receipt, I assume for the math impaired. Because of this thread, I actually looked at the amounts and noticed the blurb stating that the tip amount was based on the bill including tax. I guess they are implying that you are supposed to include the tax when calculating the tip. So, there's the answer to the thread. No more discussion needed.

DW and I had dinner (salad bar) at a Ruby Tuesday this evening. I noticed that they listed various tip amounts (15, 18, and 20%) on the receipt, I assume for the math impaired. Because of this thread, I actually looked at the amounts and noticed the blurb stating that the tip amount was based on the bill including tax. I guess they are implying that you are supposed to include the tax when calculating the tip. So, there's the answer to the thread. No more discussion needed.

I am assuming you are being tongue-in-cheek because, as I wrote in an earlier post in this thread, the restaurant I ate at which posted those same suggested tip amounts and percentages based the suggestions on pretax amounts. :cool:

I'm always tongue-in-cheek, and what? You expect me to actually read the other posts?

If you knew your the tip you left was going to go into a common pool, to be split evenly amongst the wait-staff, and who-knows-who else, would it affect the amount you left? A few years ago, tip-pooling was in the news. I would only leave 15% if that were the case.

Question for you all, related to the tip question:

Do you give tips for counter help service? Such as a place where you go to the counter to order and then they call your number for you to pick up. There is no actual waiter service, but I see many places with the "tip jar" on the counter. I personally think this is BS and don't generally leave any tip. I may leave a dollar for a person that cleans the tables. One example is Starbucks, which I never go to since don't drink coffee myself, but they always have the jar. Seems at the prices Starbucks coffee is, they should pay the people working there a fair wage that does not require tips to survive.

Back
Top Bottom