Join Early Retirement Today

When flying was fun
Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When flying was fun

My family traveled overseas often when I was growing up. In the 60s, people dressed up to fly - heels and dresses for the ladies, suits and ties for the gents. It was a magical experience and I loved it.

Now it seems airplanes are like greyhound buses - people dressed very poorly, bad manners and we have the TSA stuff on top of all that. Sinatra would not be pleased.

Here's a fun clip from "Catch Me if You Can" with Leonardo Dicaprio. Reminds me of when flying was fun and cool...well except for the suits pulling the guns at the end ;-)

Anyone remember the "mile high club"? No fun allowed on planes these days. Such a shame.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I loved going to the airport as a kid and young adult. I'd go just to see the travelers from all over. You could go out to all the gates and watch people's expressions as their loved ones arrived or left. It was wonderful.
But having to wear high heels - that would be a joy killer (not to mention crippler) for me!
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking the same thing the other day.

Mind you I flew for the first time only in 1997, so I can't say whether flying was so much more fun in the 60's and 70's than it is today. But flying was much more fun to me even 10 years ago. I have pretty much given up on flying domestic and if my parents didn't live on another continent, I'd probably give up on flying altogether.

As for the new "flying dress code", it is simply abject. It is one thing to be comfy and quite another to be an eyesore. Unfortunately, the new vestimentary laisser-aller stretches far beyond the bounds of the airport.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
My family traveled overseas often when I was growing up. In the 60s, people dressed up to fly - heels and dresses for the ladies, suits and ties for the gents. It was a magical experience and I loved it.

Now it seems airplanes are like greyhound buses - people dressed very poorly, bad manners and we have the TSA stuff on top of all that. Sinatra would not be pleased.

Here's a fun clip from "Catch Me if You Can" with Leonardo Dicaprio. Reminds me of when flying was fun and cool...well except for the suits pulling the guns at the end ;-)

Anyone remember the "mile high club"? No fun allowed on planes these days. Such a shame.
I think the change in dress was more of a cultural change and economic change than anything else.

Flying was expensive in the 60s so business and more affluent travelers did it. Don't forget the airlines were regulated at that time. Planes got bigger and the number and size of airports grew.
As prices came down more of the general public could afford to fly.

Also, in the late 60s the style of dress became more casual and varied. Airline travel just reflected these trends.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Also, in the late 60s the style of dress became more casual and varied. Airline travel just reflected these trends.
no doubt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg janis.jpg (130.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg jim.jpg (23.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg hendrix.jpg (50.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

US Air is not impressive AT ALL. Flew from CA to NJ (two flights)...NO movies..no hot towels, food, etc. (yes, this was in first class!) What the heck are my miles used for these days?

Continental heading West was wonderful, and I got my mileage out of every FF mile!

I try to dress comfortable (but not homeless!) when travelling for pleasure (yoga pants, etc.)
Old 12-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I dread flying these days but recall the good old days of the early '60s when flying was a fun experience. Now, it's even difficult to depend upon airlines to get you to your destination on time, reliably. I don't know what the "failure" rate is for, say, an LA to Boston or Atlanta to Chicago, etc. trip. I'll bet it's someplace in in the low (few) % range.

Imagine you need to be someplace for a major meeting, wedding, funeral, "award", etc. etc. What level of confidence do you have that 1) you won't find yourself on a "no fly" list, 2 ) the airline's equipment will actually work that day 3 ) The airline won't make up an excuse to cancel your flight because it wasn't full enough to pay for their fuel. 4 ) The airport won't be evacuated because some goof ball jumped a security perimeter, 5 ) You won't be "bumped" because the airline overbooked. 6) One of your 2 or maybe even 3 connecting flights is late or cancelled. 7) Your checked luggage (which you paid $50 to transport with you) will actually show up - with your formal wear or expensive wedding gift still in the bag - and the bag hasn't been "tossed" on the whim of TSA. 8 ) I could go on but I'll quit.

Anymore, I never travel with the concept of arriving "in time" for an event. I always allow at least one or even 2 days for airline travel beyond the actual travel day. Doing otherwise seems a recipe for disaster, depending upon the importance of your trip. Of course, your Frequent Flyer Miles May Vary.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Mind you I flew for the first time only in 1997, so I can't say whether flying was so much more fun in the 60's and 70's than it is today.
I am told that my first flight was on January 31, 1960, from Heathrow to Idlewild Airport, on a Boeing 707, but I don't remember it. The first flight I do remember was from Cleveland to Honolulu in late 1966. As I recall, we did dress up and it seemed like quite a grand adventure. My little brother and I had to be on our best behavior.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #9

I certainly agree that the flying experience has deteriorated over the past20-30years to the point where it is a fairly nasty experience. An experience that one has to put up with if one wants to see the other joys of travel. I think we are mostly to blame for this though as we have forced the airlines to compete on price rather than service or an otherwise enjoyable experience. They cram so many people into the planes in economy class that I( being a rather tall 6ft4) hate to travel economy. I think the dress issue is as Dex described a general move to a more casual and less expensive class of consumer. When I first flew to London from Toronto in 1978 I think the fare was about $400 pretty close to fares today. After 32 years of inflation it is much cheaper in real terms today.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I am increasingly avoiding all discretionary air travel. It's just a miserable experience today.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #11

Remember when an "air-bag" meant something totally different? People carried them with such pride.

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember flying being fun in the 70's but part of that was being younger and more adventurous. I also remember smoking on airplanes and that was pretty nasty, even the seats stunk. So in my opinion not everything has gotten worse. I do miss family meeting me right as I got off the plane though.

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

My first flying was in the 70s and I walked pretty much unmolested right to the gate and they showed me a seat chart with an outline of the fuselage with little peel off stickers with seat numbers. Everyone was super polite and orderly. Wonderful experience.

Fast forward.

I have flown 10-12 times in the past 2 months, and each time I want to just leave the airport and never return.

And it does not help to have Napolean-tano tell me "if you don't like you don't have to fly."
Bona Fide Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I remember it too. You had to pay so much to fly back then, that only the more affluent people flew regularly, and flying somewhere was a serious status symbol. So people dressed to look the part. Most families could only afford to fly rarely, so it was a "big deal", and dressing up was part of the experience.

Then flying became a commodity and lost it's "high class" status. After that, people were only interested in comfort.

Have you noticed that people in the US rarely dress up anymore anyway? Personally, I like that - I like my limited wardrobe. My husband likes not having to have jackets and ties in the closet. I haven't worn a dress or hose in years.

I remember as a kid that women wore hats and gloves to church and dresses/skirts otherwise. Men wore full suits all the time. It was considered shocking to see a woman in pants unless she was at home or down on the farm. I'm so glad we've moved away from the rigid dress codes of the 1950s.

Audrey

P.S. Oh nasty reminder! Yes! The smoking on flights - horrible! That was still allowed on overseas flights from the US well into the 1990s (like to Hawaii). I remember how horrible it was to sit a few seats forward of the smoking section on those long Hawaii flights - gag!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Just in terms of the Catch Me If You Can clip: I know three women who were stewardesses starting in the early 70s (and turned into flight attendants). They are genuinely nice people and have great outgoing personalities, so much fun.

It would be hard to be a FA today; I wonder if those jobs are as coveted as they seemed to be way back when.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Now it seems airplanes are like greyhound buses - people dressed very poorly, bad manners and we have the TSA stuff on top of all that.
It seems that way because it's true. Buses with wings. Airports are now bus terminals or subway stations.

I guess this is what happens when people demand the lowest possible price and make price the single most important factor that differentiates air travel alternatives.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I remember it too. You had to pay so much to fly back then, that only the more affluent people flew regularly, and flying somewhere was a serious status symbol.
Yep, and you were about 50 times more likely to be killed than today (see page 5 here).
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I am increasingly avoiding all discretionary air travel. It's just a miserable experience today.
I had been. But there is no way I can drive 650 miles in less than 3 days.

Getting old sucks.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I remember it too. You had to pay so much to fly back then, that only the more affluent people flew regularly, and flying somewhere was a serious status symbol. So people dressed to look the part. Most families could only afford to fly rarely, so it was a "big deal", and dressing up was part of the experience.

Then flying became a commodity and lost it's "high class" status. After that, people were only interested in comfort.

Have you noticed that people in the US rarely dress up anymore anyway? Personally, I like that - I like my limited wardrobe. My husband likes not having to have jackets and ties in the closet. I haven't worn a dress or hose in years.

I remember as a kid that women wore hats and gloves to church and dresses/skirts otherwise. Men wore full suits all the time. It was considered shocking to see a woman in pants unless she was at home or down on the farm. I'm so glad we've moved away from the rigid dress codes of the 1950s.

Audrey

P.S. Oh nasty reminder! Yes! The smoking on flights - horrible! That was still allowed on overseas flights from the US well into the 1990s (like to Hawaii). I remember how horrible it was to sit a few seats forward of the smoking section on those long Hawaii flights - gag!
I recall someone smoking a cigar on a flight back in the late '60s, and telling him that if he didn't put out the cigar I was going to vomit on him. It was not a threat, it was a promise.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #20

Seems like the experience has steadily gone downhill since deregulation.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote