Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And could walk through any employer's door, demand a job and get one on the spot! And buy a house when they were 22! It's everywhere on the Internet (google Old Economy Steve) so it must be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Impossible. 40 years ago EVERYONE had DBP. Oh wait.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Reminds me of what I saw at Slab City, almost 40 years ago. Lots of retirees camping, most trying to live on insufficient funds.

Even worse were those living in refrigerator boxes closer to the Mexican border at that time.
Impossible. 40 years ago EVERYONE had DBP. Oh wait.
And could walk through any employer's door, demand a job and get one on the spot! And buy a house when they were 22! It's everywhere on the Internet (google Old Economy Steve) so it must be true.
Yeah, ask anyone. All Americans had boatloads of money, and a free ticket to ride, right? Also nobody had to work two jobs while going to college, just to pay for it, and then end up with a degree and no job opportunities. Oh wait.

What impressed me the most about Slab City, was the attitudes of the people we met there (yes, we walked around all day there, and met and chatted with quite a few of them). Despite having almost nothing, and being old and sick with a bleak future ahead, they were not wallowing in self pity and seemed to be having fun hanging out with others just like them. They were concerned about one another and tried to help others there. Some were criminals, and the others warned us and told us who to avoid. Most seemed like nice people to us.

By the time we left, I was determined to not end up like them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
City of Portland has a problem with owners of beat up broken down RVs not being able (want to) pay to salvage them. So they list them on Craigslist for $50. And the homeless buy them. Then they park on the street in front of your house....for weeks. There are industrial areas that the RVs are lined up for blocks

Portland just announced a free RV disposal day.
I recently watched a British movie on DVD called "The lady in the van (2015)". It was a true story about a crazy old woman who lived in a van parked in the suburb of London.

When the town chased her off the street, a man took pity and let her parked in his driveway. And that was where she stayed for 15 years. The good-hearted man eventually found out about the past of the woman, and that she used to be a talented musician.

The DVD may be at a public library near you.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IMG_0513.JPG
Living in this the last three weeks +.

Had a drunk claim the non profit I was camp hosting for was taking advantage of us destitute volunteers.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

You guys are too stuck up. I make $150,000 with a few clicks of the mouse and then go poop in a bucket and put cat litter on top. Heck ya!

We take a shower outside too (we did not build one in the RV for space/humidity reasons). I do use a couple of tarps so the deer don't see me private parts.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Had a drunk claim the non profit I was camp hosting for was taking advantage of us destitute volunteers.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
I lived in my van for 3 weeks...

Apparently no one has asked yet. Were you parked "down by the river"?

FN
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I recently watched a British movie on DVD called "The lady in the van (2015)". It was a true story about a crazy old woman who lived in a van parked in the suburb of London.

When the town chased her off the street, a man took pity and let her parked in his driveway. And that was where she stayed for 15 years. The good-hearted man eventually found out about the past of the woman, and that she used to be a talented musician.

The DVD may be at a public library near you.
Thank you for reminding me about this wonderful Dame Maggie Smith movie. I just put it on hold at my library.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

You are welcome. British humour is close to American taste, so I enjoyed it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I'm not even American and I found the article very politically biased.

Really distracts from whatever point it is she was trying to make.
Not just political, but full of myths passed off as fact.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote