When to apply for Medicare?

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello all and Happy Holidays!

My wife will be 65 next November.
I’m still working and buying medical insurance for both of us.

Question - when will my wife have apply for Medicare and how do we coordinate it with our current PPO insurance.

Any other advices related to this are appreciated.

Thx

Last edited:
as i understand it if the policy you end up buying is comsidered "equivilent" to medicare then there will be no penalty for going to medicare later. but your questions are best asked and answered by medicare reps and your private insurance company.

I suggest talking to a Medicare broker with a good reputation ie Boomer Benefits. They will walk you through the process and help you find a plan that works for you. We signed up 6 months in advance for the Medigap Part G plan. Then transitioned from ACA on the first day of the month for my bday and DH later.

There's much discussion on this forum about companies and strategies, meaning different Medicare choices. It's all good. Maybe in the search function put Medicare and read through the discussions. They are very informative and offer good advice.

If she is covered by your employer's insurance and your employer has 20 or more employees on the plan AND she likes the current plan, then she doesn't have to sign up for Medicare yet.
If she does decide to sign up for Medicare then in most cases, Medicare will be her "primary" insurance and it will depend on the exact nature of your employer's as to wether they will act as "secondary" and coordinate benefits with Medicare or simply drop her. You should talk with your HR person about that.

If she is covered by your employer's insurance and your employer has 20 or more employees on the plan AND she likes the current plan, then she doesn't have to sign up for Medicare yet.
If she does decide to sign up for Medicare then in most cases, Medicare will be her "primary" insurance and it will depend on the exact nature of your employer's as to wether they will act as "secondary" and coordinate benefits with Medicare or simply drop her. You should talk with your HR person about that.

+1

My wife turned 65 this year, and we chose to have her sign up for Medicare. The employer retiree PPO insurance became secondary. They lowered the premium so that it cost less to use it as the secondary (with wider coverage) than the equivalent Medigap plans. We have not had any problems with coordination of benefits so far. This arrangement ends early next year, when I go on Medicare and am no longer eligible for the retiree insurance.

3 months ahead of your birth month is generally the recommendation for Part A and B. Once you have your number then you can decide about supplemental policies and part D. That’s when people call brokers like Boomer Benefits.

Once you are signed up for Medicare people are usually advised to wait until the end of the last month to call cancel their ACA policy.

Thank you all!

I wonder what is "a Medicare broker" and how to find one?

I have a friend that did not sign up for the Medicare supplement or the drug plan when she turned 65 because she could not afford them. In her early 70's now, she needs some additional care. She has high blood pressure, as discovered when she went to donate blood. She needs to lose some weight as well.

There is a HICAP organization here where she could get advice, but some sage wisdom from this group would be helpful. Her financial situation has not improved. Ideas?

I have a friend that did not sign up for the Medicare supplement or the drug plan when she turned 65 because she could not afford them. In her early 70's now, she needs some additional care. She has high blood pressure, as discovered when she went to donate blood. She needs to lose some weight as well.

There is a HICAP organization here where she could get advice, but some sage wisdom from this group would be helpful. Her financial situation has not improved. Ideas?

She sounds EXACTLY like the type of person that can benefit from Medicare Advantage programs....

The TV ads say she might even get $$$ back....

would she also qualify for medicade in her state? a buddy had both. how about a medicare advantage plan?

She sounds EXACTLY like the type of person that can benefit from Medicare Advantage programs....

The TV ads say she might even get $$$ back....

My question is the penalty that would be applied for not signing up earlier. How would that work?

I learned more about my own question and my understanding is that my wife can sign up for Medicare Part A (3 months before my wife's BD), but Part B can be delayed up to 8 months after med insurance coverage ended.

Now Part A seems like an optional.

What is your guy's opinion about the necessity of getting Part A?

Thx

Back
Top Bottom