Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We went with another company that installed a generic Goodman unit. It ran flawlessly for the next ten years that we owned the house, and AFAIK is still working well. And we paid less than half what the Trane installer wanted.
Goodmans are incredible workhorses and one of the most underrated brands around! I have one that has been here since I bought my house. It was installed in 2000 by the previous owner and it's done really well for me with regular checkups. It did have to have new refrigerant added earlier this year. I hope it continues to hold up! I have a friend who had worked in the HVAC industry tell me that they are a very dependable brand that is very affordable, but they are a contractor grade brand that aren't marketed towards the typical homeowner like some of the larger names.

Just to pass along another bit of information he shared: I asked if there were any brands to be more careful of. He said Lennox units are harder to find parts for in a reasonable amount of time.
ModestNestEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had refrigerant loss due to a bad coil. Based on age of system we are replacing. If the condenser ever comes in. Keeps sliding right.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
We had refrigerant loss due to a bad coil. Based on age of system we are replacing. If the condenser ever comes in. Keeps sliding right.
Might not apply in your case, but we just had our (inside) coil for our 13 YO A/C replaced. The guy said that if the compressor goes, you didn't waste the money on the new inside coil, they will reuse it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just bought a 22-year old home. It came with 2 Carriers (3 Ton and 5 Ton), still original and running. We decided to replace with 2 Carriers again (3 Ton and 5 Ton), at 16 SEER. However with trucking and availability issues, just before installation we were told that they could not provide us with 2 Carriers. For the same price the installer suggested to replace with 1 Carrier and 1 Bryant, same size/SEER rating. We buckled and decided to do it. Our electricity bill immediately ran lower, somewhere between $100 to $150 less this past month. In the next 20 years with these 2 new systems, we will get our money back.
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably just the cheap streak in me, but I think I'd look for the leak. IIRC there is a fluorescent dye that can be added to a batch of freon. If there is a significant leak, it should be possible to find it. It might take a technician to do if you aren't handy. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestNestEgg View Post
Goodmans are incredible workhorses and one of the most underrated brands around! I have one that has been here since I bought my house. It was installed in 2000 by the previous owner and it's done really well for me with regular checkups. It did have to have new refrigerant added earlier this year. I hope it continues to hold up! I have a friend who had worked in the HVAC industry tell me that they are a very dependable brand that is very affordable, but they are a contractor grade brand that aren't marketed towards the typical homeowner like some of the larger names.
Just anecdotal but agree in my case - have a 1994 Goodman heat pump still going, one leak fixed and a couple of cheap capacitors replaced, that's it.

And this is in the south, these units run all the time. Every A/C guy I've talked to in that time says you're lucky to get 10 years out of a new one, so I'm not looking forward to replacing it.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, heat pump, home repair, hvac