Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Where are the people coming from
Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last weekend DW and I were hitting the backroads in the Mustang. We see these signs ( Texas Grand Ranch ) . We decided to check it out , only about 10 miles from our house . This a new development between Huntsville Texas and The Woodlands Texas . One acre of land 59,999 must buy 2 on the billboard. We stop to see Uhhh we are sold out of the 59,999 land you have to buy 99,999 , and you must buy 2 acres. Ok call me crazy this is 40 miles from Houston in the woods but they have sold nearly 2000 acres so far . ( or they say ) So I figure 2 acres of land 200K plus your house , must be 2500sf (110.00 sf ) Quickly these are million dollar homes in the woods . Where are these people coming from to live in the woods at this price . Oh by the way they did say that RTE 45 is going to be improved to six lanes from Houston to Huntsville .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My first reaction to the thread title was,"We really need to do a better job of sex education in our public schools."
Old 06-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's pretty simple, actually... and they won't "be out in the woods" for long!

Quote:
This rapid growth increase was mainly caused by a decreasing death rate (more rapidly than birth rate), and particularly an increase in average human age. By 2000 the population counted 6 billion heads, however, population growth (doubling time) started to decline after 1965 because of decreasing birth rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My first reaction to the thread title was,"We really need to do a better job of sex education in our public schools."
Birthrates have actually decreased, so this isn't the primary reason.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

45 year mortgages w/ low down pmt
Old 06-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

California retirees?
Old 06-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
California retirees?
More like evacuees rather than retirees.

Breedlove, I am in The Woodlands and there are 15,000 new homes on the books for this area in the next 5 years (Willis, south of 242 and east of I-45). Every piece of ground here is being paved over.

Edit: I didn't mention what's going in in Magnolia which is nuts.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The OP asks "Where are the people coming from".

This reminds me of the song Eleanor Rigby.

Ah, look at all the lonely people
All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong?

Sorry for the sidetrack.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Birthrates have actually decreased, so this isn't the primary reason.
I think you missed the joke.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #9

Californians pushed out by foreign buyers with fistfuls of cash. Take the money and run!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Heck, it's getting so crowded here in Texas I believe we will move to Florida!
Old 06-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think you missed the joke.
I did, not realizing what the OP had titled the thread. Some days I am slower than others...
Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
More like evacuees rather than retirees.

Breedlove, I am in The Woodlands and there are 15,000 new homes on the books for this area in the next 5 years (Willis, south of 242 and east of I-45). Every piece of ground here is being paved over.

Edit: I didn't mention what's going in in Magnolia which is nuts.
Magnolia? You gotta be kidding me! OK, I haven't seen Magnolia since before I moved to Louisiana in 1996, but still. At that time it was out in the middle of nowhere and it was far from a hotbed of new construction (to put it politely). I just can't even imagine.

The things we learn on the ER Forum! I guess I should go look at Magnolia on Google Streetview, and get up to date in my perception of it.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Magnolia? You gotta be kidding me! OK, I haven't seen Magnolia since before I moved to Louisiana in 1996, but still. At that time it was out in the middle of nowhere and it was far from a hotbed of new construction (to put it politely). I just can't even imagine.

The things we learn on the ER Forum! I guess I should go look at Magnolia on Google Streetview, and get up to date in my perception of it.
5 year old growth report on Magnolia:

https://myrealestateexpert.com/magno...xas-expanding/

Predicts population goes from 1,500 to 50,000 in ten years.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Californians pushed out by foreign buyers with fistfuls of cash.
And taxes.
Seems half of NY, CT and NJ is moving to FL for that reason.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
And taxes.
So that's why FL is sinking!
Old 06-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Same thing is happening in Colorado. Housing prices in most, not all, areas has taken off. The highways are jammed. There are a few pockets of peace left here, but I am not telling anybody where. LOL.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
Administrator

It seems to me we are seeing signs of prosperity, which should be no surprise after 10 years of sustained growth. Our portfolios have benefitted as well.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
And taxes.
A lot of stragglers never get past NC. You're welcome to come get them. Nothing against the people, just a concern that the transplants will enact the same policies that turned those states into the tax hell holes that they are (just like my new neighbor from NY that expressed those exact sentiment to us).
Old 06-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #19

I'm seeing a lot of growth in my area of Maryland, as well. Over the past 4 years or so, they started developing this one area into a 55 and over community. it was a backwoodsy area that I thought had a lot of wetlands, and never imagined it would get built up the way it did. In fact, years ago, I mildly entertained the idea of one day buying a house on one of the back roads that went through that area, thinking it would never get built up in my lifetime. Boy, was I wrong!

Makes me wonder, too...where are old people getting all this money?! I have a friend whose Mom bought into that neighborhood. She sold a nice 4br/3.5ba colonial for around $535K in 2015...but whereas most people downsize in retirement, she went up...new house was around $611K. And, she struggled with it, initially.

Some of the houses in that area are going for north of $700K. I've jokingly said these types of over-55 communities are designed as a way to fleece the Baby Boomers out of what's left of their money, so the future generations won't inherit it. I've also heard that most people don't retire TO Maryland...usually when they retire they want to get the hell out! But, it seems like they're selling every one of these houses they build, and they're constantly breaking new ground.

I guess if you hear all the doom and gloom about how the Baby Boomers can't retire, this is why...they're buying $700K houses late in life!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of growth in my area of Maryland, as well. Over the past 4 years or so, they started developing this one area into a 55 and over community. it was a backwoodsy area that I thought had a lot of wetlands, and never imagined it would get built up the way it did. In fact, years ago, I mildly entertained the idea of one day buying a house on one of the back roads that went through that area, thinking it would never get built up in my lifetime. Boy, was I wrong!

Makes me wonder, too...where are old people getting all this money?! I have a friend whose Mom bought into that neighborhood. She sold a nice 4br/3.5ba colonial for around $535K in 2015...but whereas most people downsize in retirement, she went up...new house was around $611K. And, she struggled with it, initially.

Some of the houses in that area are going for north of $700K. I've jokingly said these types of over-55 communities are designed as a way to fleece the Baby Boomers out of what's left of their money, so the future generations won't inherit it. I've also heard that most people don't retire TO Maryland...usually when they retire they want to get the hell out! But, it seems like they're selling every one of these houses they build, and they're constantly breaking new ground.

I guess if you hear all the doom and gloom about how the Baby Boomers can't retire, this is why...they're buying $700K houses late in life!
If you have been in the RE market, you rode the wave. Some markets went up more than others. We saw almost 50% appreciation on our house in less than 6 years. We parlayed that equity into the next house that we paid cash for.
Closed Thread