Where Are They Now?

Thanks for the info on CFB and Martha, Nords. I miss both of them also. . . . If you talk to either or both of these folks, let them know that some of us RE.org old-timers remember them well, and would love to see an update from them on how they are doing, etc..
+1. I miss both of them a lot.
CFB was a >really< prolific poster: over 22,000 posts and the majority just between 2003 and 2008, about 10 posts per day. Recipes, investment philosophy, funny stuff--all over the map. I can't think of him without re-laughing about his war with his mailman.

. . . My USPS delivery guy is whiny and I don't like him much, and I have a huge long steep driveway. I already changed out my mailbox so anything larger than a deck of cards has to be brought up to my door.
It was a game when he kept leaving notes in my mailbox complaining that trash cans and cars parked 10' away were "impeding his approach to the mailbox" (god help he has to step out of the truck to put mail in my box), but it was definitely on when I ordered the 65lb air compressor and he claimed I wasnt home (when I was) and left a tag in the box for me to come to the post office and pick it up.

So this month [December] when I know he's busy...I've ordered lots and lots of stuff from amazon every day or two, with enough split shipments to make sure he has to hoof at least one box up the driveway and then around the equally steep walkway to the front door...darn near every day.

I got a small potholder yesterday, and Gabe will be getting a matchbox car tomorrow or the next day!
"What do you do all day?" indeed!

Last edited:
Yes he was getting tired of what he perceived to be a few small-minded posters. (He did not want to apologize for enjoying his BMW M6 convertible!)

However he has no hard feelings and just thought a break was needed.

I can understand that.

There is at least one poster who is happy for him and hopes that he totally enjoys driving around in his awesome new car - with the top down!:dance:

I can understand that.

There is at least one poster who is happy for him and hopes that he totally enjoys driving around in his awesome new car - with the top down!:dance:

More than one. I was inspired by his willingness to talk about enjoying his wealth.

Although I enjoy the comfort of having a nice sized investment account, I frequently have to remind myself that the point was not to save as much as possible, the savings was a means to an end. The end was maximizing my enjoyment of life.

We all have different amounts to maximize, and danmar (and a few others here) remind me that doing what I enjoy at a level that is reasonable given my savings, is an okay (even good) thing to do.

I think of you every time we drive past Belleville, wondering if you are on a cruise to San Juan PR. :cool:

Saturday we sail out of Santo Domingo! :)

Saturday we sail out of Santo Domingo! :)

We are planning to go to DR in a few years. I would love to hear about your cruise details out of Santo Domingo when you come back.:greetings10:

We are planning to go to DR in a few years. I would love to hear about your cruise details out of Santo Domingo when you come back.:greetings10:

We sailed out of Santo Domingo to Barcelona aboard a French ship in 2015, and will be sailing from there to Lisbon aboard a Spanish ship this coming Saturday.........the only reason we go to Santo Domingo is because that's where the ships left/leave from.

2015 we overnighted before catching the ship, this time we arrive and leave the same day.

(And, since the French line no longer sails from there, and we hear that this is the last TA with the Spanish line, we'll never set foot there again.)

But, almost assuredly, there will be a nauseatingly boring slide show to follow this trip. :LOL:

Last edited:
We sailed out of Santo Domingo to Barcelona aboard a French ship in 2015, and will be sailing from there to Lisbon aboard a Spanish ship this coming Saturday.........the only reason we go to Santo Domingo is because that's where the ships left/leave from.

2015 we overnighted before catching the ship, this time we arrive and leave the same day.

(And, since the French line no longer sails from there, and we hear that this is the last TA with the Spanish line, we'll never set foot there again.)

But, almost assuredly, there will be a nauseatingly boring slide show to follow this trip. :LOL:

Okay understand. Nevertheless, looking forward to the slide show. :greetings10:

Not sure if anyone remembers Nodak I believe he has passed away. I didn't know him but I meet him here on ER.

I had to go look at the members list to help me refresh my memory of a few names. I do miss MartyB's post. It's been a few years since he's posted but I see he visited a few months ago so I guess he's just lurking now from time to time. (Hello MartyB if you see this). I noticed a few names have completely disappeared from the member list since they were on the list the last time I checked. I guess you can asked to have your name removed or there is some other criteria for removal.

Not sure if anyone remembers Nodak I believe he has passed away. I didn't know him but I meet him here on ER.

I remember. And one day the posts just stopped.

Sorry to hear this.

I actually had lunch with the unfamous JG once...

I went to a financial information seminar long, long ago before I found out they were not value added activities. There was a guy there that was a real @sshat, arguing and monopolizing the presenter's time. When I started getting on the Motley Fool ER site later, then here, I eventually discovered he was active on those sites with a screen name of h***s. Luckily my other in-person meetups have been better.

I went to a financial information seminar long, long ago before I found out they were not value added activities. There was a guy there that was a real @sshat, arguing and monopolizing the presenter's time. When I started getting on the Motley Fool ER site later, then here, I eventually discovered he was active on those sites with a screen name of h***s. Luckily my other in-person meetups have been better.

Ah, the name that shall not be mentioned... [emoji12]

I remember him, and I'm very sorry to hear that. Seems like he just posted here not too many months ago........I thought maybe he was just taking a break.

To the forum member who asked for the city-data retirement forum URL - I could not respond to your PM b/c your inbox exceeds forum limits. So here is the URL - watch out for squawking chickens!

Retirement Forum - Social Security, age, moving, relocation, finance, savings, early, hobbies, nursing homes - City-Data Forum

Thanks Amethyst (I think...... not sure about those "squawking chickens!")

I cleared out some space in my inbox after I was informed your PM bounced due to my over capacity situation! Guess I better pay more attention to that.

Back
Top Bottom