Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I can understand that.

There is at least one poster who is happy for him and hopes that he totally enjoys driving around in his awesome new car - with the top down!

More than one. I was inspired by his willingness to talk about enjoying his wealth.

Although I enjoy the comfort of having a nice sized investment account, I frequently have to remind myself that the point was not to save as much as possible, the savings was a means to an end. The end was maximizing my enjoyment of life.

We all have different amounts to maximize, and danmar (and a few others here) remind me that doing what I enjoy at a level that is reasonable given my savings, is an okay (even good) thing to do.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I would be honored if someone remembered me while I'm still here.
I think of you every time we drive past Belleville, wondering if you are on a cruise to San Juan PR.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I think of you every time we drive past Belleville, wondering if you are on a cruise to San Juan PR.
Saturday we sail out of Santo Domingo!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Saturday we sail out of Santo Domingo!
We are planning to go to DR in a few years. I would love to hear about your cruise details out of Santo Domingo when you come back.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
We are planning to go to DR in a few years. I would love to hear about your cruise details out of Santo Domingo when you come back.
We sailed out of Santo Domingo to Barcelona aboard a French ship in 2015, and will be sailing from there to Lisbon aboard a Spanish ship this coming Saturday.........the only reason we go to Santo Domingo is because that's where the ships left/leave from.

2015 we overnighted before catching the ship, this time we arrive and leave the same day.

(And, since the French line no longer sails from there, and we hear that this is the last TA with the Spanish line, we'll never set foot there again.)

But, almost assuredly, there will be a nauseatingly boring slide show to follow this trip.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We sailed out of Santo Domingo to Barcelona aboard a French ship in 2015, and will be sailing from there to Lisbon aboard a Spanish ship this coming Saturday.........the only reason we go to Santo Domingo is because that's where the ships left/leave from.

2015 we overnighted before catching the ship, this time we arrive and leave the same day.

(And, since the French line no longer sails from there, and we hear that this is the last TA with the Spanish line, we'll never set foot there again.)

But, almost assuredly, there will be a nauseatingly boring slide show to follow this trip.
Okay understand. Nevertheless, looking forward to the slide show.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Not sure if anyone remembers Nodak I believe he has passed away. I didn't know him but I meet him here on ER.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I had to go look at the members list to help me refresh my memory of a few names. I do miss MartyB's post. It's been a few years since he's posted but I see he visited a few months ago so I guess he's just lurking now from time to time. (Hello MartyB if you see this). I noticed a few names have completely disappeared from the member list since they were on the list the last time I checked. I guess you can asked to have your name removed or there is some other criteria for removal.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Not sure if anyone remembers Nodak I believe he has passed away. I didn't know him but I meet him here on ER.

I remember. And one day the posts just stopped.

Sorry to hear this.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I remember. And one day the posts just stopped.

Sorry to hear this.
Yes that is right.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I actually had lunch with the unfamous JG once...
I went to a financial information seminar long, long ago before I found out they were not value added activities. There was a guy there that was a real @sshat, arguing and monopolizing the presenter's time. When I started getting on the Motley Fool ER site later, then here, I eventually discovered he was active on those sites with a screen name of h***s. Luckily my other in-person meetups have been better.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I went to a financial information seminar long, long ago before I found out they were not value added activities. There was a guy there that was a real @sshat, arguing and monopolizing the presenter's time. When I started getting on the Motley Fool ER site later, then here, I eventually discovered he was active on those sites with a screen name of h***s. Luckily my other in-person meetups have been better.

Ah, the name that shall not be mentioned... [emoji12]

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #93

Quote:
Very sorry to hear that. IIRC, he hadn't been retired very long.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

To the forum member who asked for the city-data retirement forum URL - I could not respond to your PM b/c your inbox exceeds forum limits. So here is the URL - watch out for squawking chickens!

Retirement Forum - Social Security, age, moving, relocation, finance, savings, early, hobbies, nursing homes - City-Data Forum
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Is this obit possibly Nodak? A number of details fit his profile with age, retirement year and work details, but can't be sure as I did not know him.

Obituary | Curtis Schweitzer | Askew Funeral Homes
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I remember him, and I'm very sorry to hear that. Seems like he just posted here not too many months ago........I thought maybe he was just taking a break.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Is this obit possibly Nodak? A number of details fit his profile with age, retirement year and work details, but can't be sure as I did not know him.

Everything fits with what he posted here, so I'd be comfortable saying that obit was his. Just a few days after his last post here. RIP.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
To the forum member who asked for the city-data retirement forum URL - I could not respond to your PM b/c your inbox exceeds forum limits. So here is the URL - watch out for squawking chickens!

Retirement Forum - Social Security, age, moving, relocation, finance, savings, early, hobbies, nursing homes - City-Data Forum
Thanks Amethyst (I think...... not sure about those "squawking chickens!")

I cleared out some space in my inbox after I was informed your PM bounced due to my over capacity situation! Guess I better pay more attention to that.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:12 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It seems to be him.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes that is him. I enjoyed his posts about the small town he lived in. He even posted a live web cam of the small town.