Where Are They Now?

I think BCG made too many posts like "Me too" that did not add to the forum content. He treated it like a conversation. When he did contribute, I thought he added value though.

The two I know that left this year are both Canadian. And one last year. Meadbh, Danmar and Altared. I think they all contributed and enjoyed their participation. But eventually they found the censorship stifling. Meadbh tells why the US is not welcoming for Canadians and the thread gets shut. WTF? Sojourner mentions insular? I saw nothing but facts being discussed.

Are the overlords so sensitive that a little dose of reality does not work for them? Members think BMW owners are extravagant. Is anything beyond a Toyota unacceptable?

+1 on BCG.

I wondered about Danmar. I always appreciated his thoughtful points of view and abundant financial expertise. Haven't seen him post in a while and wondered if something happened. I don't follow this forum daily... more like every 2 or 3 days, and then just for topics that still interest me. So I miss a lot and don't always follow the emotional ebb and flow that sometimes result in a member calling it quits.

There have been multiple times when I stopped reading the forum for a few months, usually just because there was something very time-consuming going on in my life. But like COcheesehead said, "the topics here are just too relevant to my life right now." So I always gravitate back to my every 2 or 3 day habit.

There have been several times when I thought the moderation was a bit heavy-handed. But then again, one of the things that keeps bringing me back here is how civil the discussion is compared to many online forums. I can only imagine the time, effort, and coordination that go into moderating a forum like this. So on balance, I don't have any complaints. But I also don't blame someone for calling it quits when they feel the line has been crossed.

+1 on BCG.

I wondered about Danmar. I always appreciated his thoughtful points of view and abundant financial expertise. Haven't seen him post in a while and wondered if something happened. I don't follow this forum daily... more like every 2 or 3 days, and then just for topics that still interest me. So I miss a lot and don't always follow the emotional ebb and flow that sometimes result in a member calling it quits.

With regard to Danmar, it was my impression he was a bit exacerbated by what he perceived was a petty thread, and wrote something to the effect that he was going to take a hiatus. I'm not saying this is accurate, it was my impression. Maybe he'll come back eventually and tell us about his new smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I remember kyounge and her story. It was very sad that she developed cancer right when her ER plan was about to realize. I knew that bad things happened when she disappeared after posting that her cancer had reached Stage IV. From her posts, I felt that she was a kind soul.

Thanks for sharing her obituary.

I checked on Danmar because I missed his posts. He is fine, just taking a hiatus. He said he may come back at some point.

I worry a bit about certain posters, in particular imoldernu. The ones with age or health related issues that just go away. I also miss a few older poster like Martha and Lazygood4nuthinbum, who always had interesting POVs. And it always makes me happy when Uncle Mick pops back up.
It is distressing to suddenly realize you haven't seen anything from someone whose posts you have enjoyed for years. Unfortunately it will happen more and more as we all age out. I met Lasygoood4nuthinbum here in DC around 2006 or 2007. Great guy. Then he simply disappeared during the crash. I worry that he got wiped out when he couldn't sell his deceased mother's house but it looks like we will never know what happened.

Nords pops back every now and then. He had a nice series about his kitchen/living area remodel last fall.

I was once on a thread that got shut right after my post. I took about a 1 week break. It can hurt a bit. I saw my post as "facts," but after reading the thread, I realized I was just stoking a burning fire. I just stay away from those topics... OK, except for maybe self driving cars. :) Thread not shut yet. :dance:

I am sad to see many non-Americans leave or never start. That seems to be a continuing trend. Sadly, the health care topic ticks people off everywhere and it is just turning into a minefield when discussing it. Too bad.

Although I'd love to spend time on Facebook with my friends and family, it has become "PreachBook" to the point I've given up. This forum of anonymous friends is a respite from all the "fact trading" going on elsewhere. (Yes, I say that sarcastically.) The unfortunate side effect is that the mods have a short leash.

I sometimes wonder what happened to freebird5825. She was active on the forum when I joined in 2015, and I remember her because she lived in CNY (where I grew up).

Also miss the prolific postings of BCG. Made me smile a lot and seemed like a regular guy (if 6'6'' and 300+ can be regular).

Although I'd love to spend time on Facebook with my friends and family, it has become "PreachBook" to the point I've given up. This forum of anonymous friends is a respite from all the "fact trading" going on elsewhere. (Yes, I say that sarcastically.) The unfortunate side effect is that the mods have a short leash.

The mods here have a tough job but I'm forever grateful for their effort.

We tend to become 'friends' here and sometimes think we can say things 'among friends' not realizing that there IS a line on this forum that should never be crossed in order to maintain a civil place to actually learn things.

The internet is full, full, full of discussion forums that are absolute horror shows. I don't want to see us go there.

Having said that, I do miss some people who were good contributors and just stopped posting. Not all who 'went travelling' did so against their will.

I think it'd be hard to track them down and/or discover why or what became of them.

Imoldernu pops up now and then, under another handle, cheerleading for his beloved CCRC on city-data's retirement forum. I visit that forum now and then, but rarely post - the women there can be such biddies, and I dislike having them run at me and other posters, waving their wings and clucking.

Thanks for the update on Sarah.

I worry a bit about certain posters, in particular imoldernu. The ones with age or health related issues that just go away. I also miss a few older poster like Martha and Lazygood4nuthinbum, who always had interesting POVs. And it always makes me happy when Uncle Mick pops back up.

I miss Vincent and Notmuchlonger. Cuppajoe and Martha. Bbbami (I know she's around b/c we PM sometimes).

The one who I often wonder about a number of years ago.... and I can't remember her name... is the young woman who discovered that her husband, who was managing their investments, had made some very aggressive but losing bets and had lost ~$500k and she had just found out about it. Does anyone remember her screen name? I recall PMing her about a year later to ask how things were going and I never received a response.

And that is when the "block" function can be used to make your visit more enjoyable. :D

I haven't yet put anyone on Ignore, but there are posters who I see their screen name and skim or skip or at a minimum, get a big grain of salt ready.

When I first joined this forum a number of years ago, I corresponded several times with a single woman about my age--from California, I believe--who was also doing a kitchen remodel. I later discovered that she died of cancer shortly thereafter. I liked her posts a lot and felt very bad about that. At the moment I can't remember her handle.

That is a problem that I sometimes think about... especially since when my Dad died I wrote an email letting everyone in his email address book... only a few of whom I knew of... know that he had died unexpectedly. I was lucky that I knew the passwords to his computer and email so I coudl do that.

I mentioned this at our recent SWFL meet-up and harley mentioned that he death letter includes instructions to notify the e-r.org community of his demise in the even he gets hit by a beer truck. Good idea I plan to include in my death letter.

Me too! I wanted to thank her for recommending a Shark Rotator vacuum.

I sometimes wonder what happened to freebird5825. She was active on the forum when I joined in 2015, and I remember her because she lived in CNY (where I grew up).

And that is when the "block" function can be used to make your visit more enjoyable. :D
Funny thing, I have more than one of the people being missed here on my ignore list. And a different one told me I was going on his list. He took personal offense to something I said even though I wasn't talking about me, then said something very crude toward me and said he was putting me on ignore. Can't say I miss him either.

People come and go. New blood is always good. I'm sure I repeat myself too much here. I still learn a lot here, sometimes by disagreeing and being proven wrong, so I'm staying.

I would bet it'll be more common for people to leave instructions upon their death for someone to leave a message on social media places they frequent.

I visit that forum now and then, but rarely post - the women there can be such biddies, and I dislike having them run at me and other posters, waving their wings and clucking.

I had to laugh at this turn of phrase - creative and... accurate!

Thinking about such forums, and wondering what the male equivalent of such posters would be... The lesser prairie chicken comes to mind:

I remember a member named Vincente, I think. He was living in Italy and posted about issues with his wife and either mother or mother-in-law.

And I miss freebird5825. I liked her take on things and she was doing so well in her situation, widowed, survivor pension, and she posted about a Mr she was seeing. I just enjoyed her posts.

It would be nice to get an update from some of the former posters on how their life is going .I miss cute fuzzy bunny . He defended me when I first joined so He will always be my hero .Nords is also my hero because he talked me off the ledge during the meltdown .I also miss Martha and Sara and countless others .
Last I heard, CFB was dealing with health problems. Martha's keeping busy with her life. REWahoo, any updates on either of them?

Nords pops back every now and then. He had a nice series about his kitchen/living area remodel last fall.
Thanks, Joe, life is good. After 16 years of FI we've gone from "enough" to "stupidly way more than enough" and there's not much left to discuss about our journey.

I spend most of my time on Facebook groups, e-mail, and other social media answering other people's personal-finance questions. These days I rarely hang out on individual forums. I hardly even post to my own FB profile but I tweet 2-3 times per week.

I check in here every week or so, searching for my poster name or the "military" keyword.

Thanks to JDarnell and everyone else who keeps an eye out for military personal finance questions and tags me or e-mails me.

BTW the remodel went well, and here's a public link to the FB photo album:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741849.100001570757832&type=1&l=d18be45f3f)
The tenants have finally figured out how to put the rent payment in ACH autopilot and things have settled down to a quieter routine. There's a remote possibility that our daughter will return to Hawaii around 2022-23 (with her spouse) so my spouse and I agree that we should keep on landlording until then.

... death letter includes instructions to notify the e-r.org community of his demise ...
Me too.

Long time member but infrequent poster here and I also miss the folks mentioned in this thread. We have had some fine contributors to this forum over the years.
Thanks for the update on Sarah... I always admired her adventurous travels and looked forward to hearing about them.

I

How could I not like Blue Collar Guy--he's the only one who agreed with me that the proliferation of legal marijuana in America isn't a great accomplishment.

Back
Top Bottom