Where Are They Now?

TimeMeasure

Recycles dryer sheets
Just musing, really, not expecting an answer is possible, but was thinking about this over the past couple days, and coincidentally, the "Goodbye" thread today by Meadbh brought it to mind again:

It would be interesting (if it were even possible) to compile a list of what some of the long-time posters are up to, who have "retired" from this forum - a la the old "Where Are They Now?" series.

Even as a relative newcomer here, less than a year, one can see prolific posters ("Blue Collar Guy" comes to mind) who were actively taking part in the dialogue - and who then simply vanished. And researching older topics, sometimes one realizes others also vanished, years ago (e.g. "cute fuzzy bunny"). Did some stroke of misfortune befall them? Did some comment offend them? Did they just grow weary of repetitive topics? Did they land a position as an oligarch? Did they have to go into deep cover? Who will ever know?

It's striking because, on the whole, this is such a welcoming, even warm, set of people, very convivial even when points of view differ, and so it's easy to have the sense that there is community... but it seems that people can vanish without a trace, sometimes almost unremarked. And although that's to be expected, and probably many of the people here like some degree of anonymity, still, the contrast between the overall rapport and the unmissed vanishings can be a little jarring. Something about how one is not truly gone, until one's name is no longer spoken...

End of musing. Back to the regularly scheduled program. :)

"We are time's subjects, and time bids be gone."

William Shakespeare

Thanks for the musing, as I was also somewhat fond of 'Blue Collar Guy", and did wonder for a time what happened with him, especially as i am a native New Yorker, although it has been a very long time since i resided in that city. Fond memories remain. Then, as your musing indicated, I moved on, as life does.

He pretty much always made me laugh/smile.

Yes, same here. Something about that "and you all shouldn't be surprised, like always, I have a story about this!" way of talking.

P.S. Always enjoy reading that "Exit, pursued by a bear" reference.

I think BCG made too many posts like "Me too" that did not add to the forum content. He treated it like a conversation. When he did contribute, I thought he added value though.

The two I know that left this year are both Canadian. And one last year. Meadbh, Danmar and Altared. I think they all contributed and enjoyed their participation. But eventually they found the censorship stifling. Meadbh tells why the US is not welcoming for Canadians and the thread gets shut. WTF? Sojourner mentions insular? I saw nothing but facts being discussed.

Are the overlords so sensitive that a little dose of reality does not work for them? Members think BMW owners are extravagant. Is anything beyond a Toyota unacceptable?

Not being a mod, I can only guess, but although there were facts there, they were embedded in a whole lot of emotional content that was not helpful and kept triggering an escalation by those of differing opinions, who then threw in a lot of their own emotionalism. Thus, I'm guessing the poor long suffering mods just declared enough already, there is more heat then light here. I agreed, and I do not always agree with thread closings, but this one was rather obviously justified.

I left the forum for awhile. I enjoyed it and the folks here have a wealth, no pun intended, of knowledge, but there are always a handful of people who like to poke. Sometimes you just say why bother and let things rest for a bit.
I came back because the topics here are just too relevant to my life right now. I try not to let the "pokers" bother me, but we all have our limits, I guess.

I left the forum for awhile. I enjoyed it and the folks here have a wealth, no pun intended, of knowledge, but there are always a handful of people who like to poke. Sometimes you just say why bother and let things rest for a bit.
I came back because the topics here are just too relevant to my life right now. I try not to let the "pokers" bother me, but we all have our limits, I guess.

And that is when the "block" function can be used to make your visit more enjoyable. :D

When I first joined this forum a number of years ago, I corresponded several times with a single woman about my age--from California, I believe--who was also doing a kitchen remodel. I later discovered that she died of cancer shortly thereafter. I liked her posts a lot and felt very bad about that. At the moment I can't remember her handle.

I think about this topic now and then. I wonder if some posters just don't want to post anymore or if they go into the great beyond. How will we know?

I think about this topic now and then. I wonder if some posters just don't want to post anymore or if they go into the great beyond. How will we know?

Can we spring for a community Ouija board?

This thread takes me to a dark place.

When I was a young sergeant stationed in Germany (West Germany at that time), my dad and I would swap letters about once per month. Then one day, my letters started going unanswered.

I wrote a rather testy letter but never mailed it, Thank God.

~40 years later and I still have the letter.

F^ck you Alzheimer's, just f^ck you. :mad:

Its eerie sometimes. I use the android app and don't often log on and see the likes of comments about posts that Windows shows. Once every few months I do and try to review them.

I'd found a couple from BCG, after he was gone, I wish I could have told him I appreciated his thoughts.

Everything changes

Every time a friend departs, voluntarily or not, it prompts me to reflect on my own life, career, family and expectations for the future. I ask myself, "Is this a sign that I need to initiate some change in my own direction? Should I find a different j*b, move to a new location, alter some consequential life goal?"

Sometimes the answer has been "yes". But most often I end up concluding that their departure involved reasons I will never know or understand. At least, not in this life.

Naturally, I miss my absent friends. But the pain of loss diminishes with time. And every time, new friends have appeared.

As much as I would love still to be close with everyone I ever cared about, the universe doesn't work that way. Time and distance sunder relationships. But ultimately I'm grateful that I was able to share, however briefly, some thoughts and feelings with nice folks on the same journey.

I've felt a level of kinship with a bunch of the posters here, each in our own stage of a trip toward [-]financial [/-]freedom. To the ones who've left, I wish them good fortune and give thanks for what they taught me. To the ones who've stayed, I say "Let's stick around a while and have a little more fun".

Finally, I look forward to the next crop of eager seekers who will join tomorrow and next week and next year. I anticipate there will be plenty of good times here in the future. Maybe eventually somebody will come up with the definitive best age to claim SS/CPP! How awesome would that be?

Its eerie sometimes. I use the android app and don't often log on and see the likes of comments about posts that Windows shows. Once every few months I do and try to review them.

I'd found a couple from BCG, after he was gone, I wish I could have told him I appreciated his thoughts.
BCG actually gave me a few thanks for my posts and I regret not taking the time to send him some recognition for that.

It would be nice to get an update from some of the former posters on how their life is going .I miss cute fuzzy bunny . He defended me when I first joined so He will always be my hero .Nords is also my hero because he talked me off the ledge during the meltdown .I also miss Martha and Sara and countless others .

When I first joined this forum a number of years ago, I corresponded several times with a single woman about my age--from California, I believe--who was also doing a kitchen remodel. I later discovered that she died of cancer shortly thereafter. I liked her posts a lot and felt very bad about that. At the moment I can't remember her handle.

This is exactly the kind of reminiscence I had in mind. Although this particular story is a sad one - it's nice to know that she is remembered.

This thread takes me to a dark place.

When I was a young sergeant stationed in Germany (West Germany at that time), my dad and I would swap letters about once per month. Then one day, my letters started going unanswered.
F^ck you Alzheimer's, just f^ck you.

Didn't mean to take you to that dark place... but with you on that sentiment.

Of Alzheimer's, I will only quote the line supposedly inscribed on the walls of the Mauthausen concentration camp:

“If there is a God, He will have to beg my forgiveness.”

Naturally, I miss my absent friends. But the pain of loss diminishes with time. And every time, new friends have appeared.

As much as I would love still to be close with everyone I ever cared about, the universe doesn't work that way. Time and distance sunder relationships. But ultimately I'm grateful that I was able to share, however briefly, some thoughts and feelings with nice folks on the same journey.

I've felt a level of kinship with a bunch of the posters here, each in our own stage of a trip toward [-]financial [/-]freedom. To the ones who've left, I wish them good fortune and give thanks for what they taught me. To the ones who've stayed, I say "Let's stick around a while and have a little more fun".

Finally, I look forward to the next crop of eager seekers who will join tomorrow and next week and next year. I anticipate there will be plenty of good times here in the future. Maybe eventually somebody will come up with the definitive best age to claim SS/CPP! How awesome would that be?

I always so enjoy your reflective and wise comments. The phrasing and thought patterns, and most of all the optimism with a bit of twinkle in the eye, remind me of a good friend of mine, now in his 80s. It's good to retain some of that perspective, leavened with humor, if we can.

TimeMeasure.

I'm fine with your post.

My day to wander off is as certain as taxes, right?

My dad was in WWll and began his combat tour at Guadalcanal. I often joke that with his 8th grade education, he had an undergrad in climate change and economics (dust bowl and great depression), and a masters in conflict resolution with international travel (WWll).

Alzheimer's harvested his mind in his 60's and his body in his 70's. I just wasn't ready to lose my fishing pal so soon.

And yeah, I wonder what happened to BCG.

And, upon reflection, it wasn't so dark - a lot of good memories - just have to dig a little deeper for them.

I worry a bit about certain posters, in particular imoldernu. The ones with age or health related issues that just go away. I also miss a few older poster like Martha and Lazygood4nuthinbum, who always had interesting POVs. And it always makes me happy when Uncle Mick pops back up.

On the other hand, I've gotten pissed off a few times, either at other posters or at getting modded, and gone away for a little while. Sadly, nobody ever noticed.

By the way, those of you that miss Sarah, she's doing fine. She seems to do a lot of traveling in her spare time, and her husband is still doing insane Adventurist stuff.

I liked Blue Collar Guy. He had a sense of humor AND was good to his mom. I was also familiar with his neighborhood, and my DF, and DGF were also NYCPD. With imolderthanu I recall when I was lurking he went missing for a few months. (I kept my eyes peeled for him and was glad to see him back, although he hasn't posted much recently.) Senator also disappeared for a while after her retired, and eventually came back. He seems to be off again. Anyway, he made me understand that I would NOT be a good landlord.

Back
Top Bottom