Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Mendocino County California (inland, small town).
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 03:35 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Silicon Valley, I love it here, though the character of the bay has changed over the last 20 years and there isn't nearly as much cool weirdness as there was when I arrived in 1999. My wife hates it, and wants to own a house, so I'm guessing our time here is limited.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:57 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

The Woodlands, TX.

Been here 27 years and watched it grow. DW likes it because she is close to her children (previous marriage) and also because there are three major hospitals and many other medical facilities within a 2 mile radius of us.

I would prefer to be elsewhere without the 150,000 people breathing down my neck and terrible traffic everywhere.

But the way the voting is going, I'm losing.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:08 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
Coldville (aka Fargo), North Dakota

Hoping to change someday to Warmville, AZ.
I think the coldest temperatures I ever encountered in the US were during a January visit to the University of North Dakota. Thought it was "cool" that the rental car company offered an extension cord for the block heater and the hotel had an outside power receptacles for guests to use! As long as you opt for Warmville and not Hotville here in AZ, you'll enjoy it.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Peru, IL 2004

For your town go to the City-Data site.... See details for our town here:

Peru, Illinois (IL 61354) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders

Murder rate Zero... for the past 20 years.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Sedona, that seems to be some expensive real estate.
I guess it depends what you're used to. It is a bit more expensive than than where I currently live in Phoenix but it has a better climate, fantastic red rock scenery and cleaner air. There is also a sense of - dare I say spiritual - serenity even with the tourist bustle. We will almost certainly have many hiking trails nearby that won't require driving to. Although for a large sprawling city, Phoenix has some excellent and challenging hiking trails. Unfortunately, they are virtually unusable in the summer and we have numerous deaths each summer due to folks misjudging the danger of hiking in our summer heat.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #47

Indianapolis suburbs/Fishers, IN for the past 33 years
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #48

Just outside of Oconomowoc, Wis. Developers have dubbed the area "the Lake Country," but I'm actually on the Rock River when the water is high.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:45 PM   #49

Calvert County md, right on patuxent river hop skip and a jump from the bay,wonderful except for taxes ��
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:15 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Ventura County, southern CA. Been here since 1959, so all but born here.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:33 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Northern part of Montana. We have 9 months of tough sledding and 3 months of ice, snow and mud. Cold, wind and bugs but I still love it here where there are very few people. I would rather put up with some cols days then live were there is hurricanes and such. No destruction from the a handful of very cold days a year.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:53 PM   #52

Silicon Valley

I moved here after going to college in Chico, CA, because there were plenty of jobs. DH moved here from MI to escape the snow.

We’re ready to move on once DS gets off to college next year. Too many people living here now. Not sure where we will move to though. Paradise WAS on our short list since it is (was) just outside Chico. Obviously, that’s no longer an option.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
Silicon Valley

I moved here after going to college in Chico, CA, because there were plenty of jobs. DH moved here from MI to escape the snow.

We’re ready to move on once DS gets off to college next year. Too many people living here now. Not sure where we will move to though. Paradise WAS on our short list since it is (was) just outside Chico. Obviously, that’s no longer an option.

Come on down to Ventura County. Housing prices are less than up there
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:23 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
Silicon Valley

Hi Oceanview. If you like a small town, Ukiah might be an option. We like it. Or consider the central coast -Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo area. Or Morro Bay if you like the coast.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:29 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Far North Portland suburbs, aka Vancouver, Washington. No income tax and no sales tax just across the border.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:34 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

We live in Chapel Hill, NC in the cooler months within walking distance of the University of North Carolina (we attend a lot of basketball games). In the hotter months I head for the mountains and spend my summers in Linville, NC. The best of all worlds.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
Dad was from Champagne--- I always liked the town and as you said the UICU was a large reason.

Last time through was 8years or so ago, as I took the "ole guy" for one final visit. Went by the different houses he lived in, mostly on Garfield Avenue and a couple roads around. At that time the houses were still in a nice state or repair.

My grandparents house was a true 1920s craftsman style. My brother took our father there about 15 years ago and got a tour of the place. All the original woodwork inside and out was still intact.
Our first house when I was a kid was just around the corner from Garfield ave in champaign. Small world!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:58 PM   #58

Pasadena area, CA. Plenty of bad things about here.

But the weather and Prop. 13 are nifty.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilkoot View Post
Ventura County, southern CA. Been here since 1959, so all but born here.
Beautiful area. We were there in T.O. from 1981 to 1992.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:02 PM   #60

Missouri side.