Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #101
Confused about dryer sheets

New York City soon possibly Philadelphia or maybe even Texas
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredfx View Post
New York City soon possibly Philadelphia or maybe even Texas
One of our long time members made a memorable post directed at those contemplating a move to Texas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK...

Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).

The towns mentioned are all located behind the Pine Curtain. You'll need to show your passport at the border crossing, but if you weigh 250 or more, wear well-worn bib overalls and a DeKalb Feed gimmie cap, you might be able to pass through without getting checked.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since I wrote that, things have changed - they've gotten worse.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:45 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since I wrote that, things have changed - they've gotten worse.
but don't send them to Florida.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #105
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
but don't send them to Florida.
wow
Old 02-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

We're in the SW of CO. Nothing out here to see, go home.

I think Ian or Ian was writing about this place. https://youtu.be/Y4UjWtLyYBY

Somebody's shouting
Up at a mountain
Only my own words return
Nobody's out there
It's a deception
When will I ever learn?

I'm alone here
With emptiness eagles and snow
Unfriendliness chilling my body
And whispering pictures of home

Wondering blindly
How can they find me
Maybe they don't even know
My body is shaking
Anticipating
The call of the black footed crow

I'm alone here
And taunting with pictures of home

Here in this prison
Of my own making
Year after day I have grown
Into a hero
But there's no worship
Where have they hidden my throne?

I'm alone here
And screaming out pictures of home

Songwriters: Ian Gillan / Ian Paice / Jon Lord / Ritchie Blackmore / Roger Glover

Pictures of Home lyrics [emoji767] EMI Music Publishing

IMG_1519511970630.jpeg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:13 PM   #107
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Pasadena CA except when traveling, first half of 2019 includes India, Italy, NYC and Moab UT. Lots more later I hope.

Is it like Los Angeles?
tapahelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Northeast Alabama about 10 minutes from half a dozen boat ramps on beautiful Lake Guntersville. We've lived all over the place as I spent 34 years in the Marines and DIA. I now have a love/hate relationship with travel.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapahelp View Post
Is it like Los Angeles?
Well, LA has A LOT of variations in it. Pasadena too. Pasadena is not near the beach its in the foothills and greener. Warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter. Just watch the Rose Parade every Jan 1st. Connected by subway to LA. For Chicago folks (where I'm from originally) I say Pasadena is to LA the way Evanston is to Chicago. A medium size old town in its own right but part of the eonomic and social metro area.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #110

Colorado mountains. About an hour from nowhere on the east side of the Rockies. Its a great place to be a Hermit!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #111
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Well, LA has A LOT of variations in it. Pasadena too. Pasadena is not near the beach its in the foothills and greener. Warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter. Just watch the Rose Parade every Jan 1st. Connected by subway to LA. For Chicago folks (where I'm from originally) I say Pasadena is to LA the way Evanston is to Chicago. A medium size old town in its own right but part of the eonomic and social metro area.

Thanks yakers. Didn’t know subway system in LA was “that good.”

What do you find Pasadena better over LA and rest of CA? Is COL significantly lower?
Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Dexter Oregon.
Plan is to move to Black Hills (Rapid City) area of South Dakota in a couple months and rent a house there for a few years as a base of operations for travel. Then move on to someplace yet to be determined.
Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
Retired, downsized, and am now living in the Scottsdale area (nobody has ever heard of Cave Creek). I list “snowbird” as my location because we moved here from a place that experiences much winter snow and ice. The plan going forward is to escape the summer heat for 1-2 months every year, to areas that experience MUCH snow during the winter. And Hawaii too. Yep, that’s the plan.
Have heard of Cave Creek. Lived in Scottsdale a few years. Worked for a startup there in the Scottsdale Airpark.

Nice area!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
The Treasure Coast for 33 years. (Named after the Spanish plate fleet sank here 300 years ago - artifacts are still being found, just not by me)

The winter Ice Pack is at its usual February zenith here in eastern central Florida. Friday we went boating around the islands at the inlet and counted dolphins. Yesterday evening we went to Disney and for crying out loud it was so cold that I had to wear a friggin long sleeve shirt to go with my shorts and sneakers.

Both children are miserable ingrates and settling on Jacksonville to start their families and professional careers. DW and I are resigned to selling the island house sum day and moving to that frigid northern corner of the sunshine state.

(Mod edit for truth in disclosure part 6.c of the forum rules. By comparison, the OP and DW and moved from PA to FL immediately after college for jobs.)
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.

We will close on our future new home later this month in The Villages, Florida. We just can't tolerate the cold Iowa weather any more.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We spent a few years sailing/cruising in the Eastern Caribbean, toggling between our 45' Cat an the occasional land stay. USVI, UKVI, St. Marten and many other long term stays on the way to Grenada.

Here is a link to some of our travel pics, I was not really good with documenting everything and it is a little dated now as I do not really maintain it.

Cruising The Caribbean

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures. We love the Caribbean and especially the VI.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Have heard of Cave Creek. Lived in Scottsdale a few years. Worked for a startup there in the Scottsdale Airpark.

Nice area!
OK now that is two of us that know Cave Creek, plus I worked in the Scottsdale Airpark and lived in the the East Valley. But do you know where Cave Creek Canyon is?

Friends of Cave Creek Canyon - Chiricahua Mountains - Portal, AZ
Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapahelp View Post
Thanks yakers. Didn’t know subway system in LA was “that good.”

What do you find Pasadena better over LA and rest of CA? Is COL significantly lower?

We lived in Pasadena for two years. It is a beautiful city with lots of trees. Reminded us of a Midwestern town but with gorgeous mountain views. It has great shops and restaurants and a nice small town feel. Cal Tech is there and its campus is beautiful. We didn’t find the COL to be exceptionally higher or lower than other So CA areas, although the property we owned in Pasadena was definitely larger and less expensive than a beachfront condo in Long Beach.

If we could have moved Pasadena to the beach, we would have been happy to stay there, but we have a lot of connections in Long Beach and enjoy beach living, so we moved.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

I live on the ring of hills just above the downtown Seattle basin. No car, I mostly get around walking, backed up by Metro buses and occasionally or late at night, Uber.

Ha
Old 02-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #120
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We lived in Pasadena for two years. It is a beautiful city with lots of trees. Reminded us of a Midwestern town but with gorgeous mountain views. It has great shops and restaurants and a nice small town feel. Cal Tech is there and its campus is beautiful. We didn’t find the COL to be exceptionally higher or lower than other So CA areas, although the property we owned in Pasadena was definitely larger and less expensive than a beachfront condo in Long Beach.

If we could have moved Pasadena to the beach, we would have been happy to stay there, but we have a lot of connections in Long Beach and enjoy beach living, so we moved.

Thanks Scuba. How much does a beach front condo cost in Long Beach?