Where do you get your weather?

I also use NOAA NWS online. I found it when my previous employer gave me a Blackberry. NWS is great, and you can get the small-screen version, and there are RSS feeds for weather and severe weather alerts. Nifty stuff. And no freakin' ads!

I've recently altered my driving plans a couple of times after reading NWS. I wait for the bad part to go by and then drive through the aftermath. Or if I'm ahead far enough of the storm I'll take off earlier.

I sometimes use Intellicast; I got in the habit of using them because it looks and acts quite similar to the WSI satellite weather stations the pilots used at my last employer. I also like their tropical weather (hurricane) tracking section.

Digital TV often has a station or two that runs 24-hour weather radar on a subchannel. I use those for live radar during scary weather.

I used to tune in a particular local AM station during heavy weather, but they don't cover as thoroughly as they used to. I'd like to find a station that stays on top of it like KRLD did 10-15 years ago.

As it is I keep thinking I need to pick up one of those EAS-enabled weather radios. They'll keep quiet until an EAS alert is sent in your area, then they sound off and tune in.

I live in the DFW area, and the forecasts are pretty good around here. I lived in Indianapolis for 5 years, and the forecasts there were horrible. At first I just thought they sucked, but it turns out it's just too hard to predict...too many factors there that constantly change. The jet stream flops back and forth over the area and winds off of Lake Michigan can shift and send in some rain or snow in a hurry. So some parts of the country are easier to forecast than others.

Speaking of weather, here are the wind forecasts and the actual winds on the Chesapeake and Potomac in my last several sails. The forecasts were 24 to 48 hours ahead:

Sail 1 Forecast 5 knots North Actual 25 knots North
Sail 2 Forecast 10 knots South Actual 0
Sail 3 Forecast 5 knots North Actual 10 knots South
Sail 4 Forecast 0 Actual 10 knots South
Sail 5 Forecast 10 knots North actual 0
Sail 6 Forecast 10 knots North actual 20 knots North
Sail 6 Forecast 10 knots North actual 10 knots North
Sail 7 Forecast 10 knots North actual 5 knots South

So, why bother?

in a related thread-jack, what's your pet peeve weather lingo?

mine's "expect rain during your overnight hours". you mean: it's gonna rain tonight?

Back
Top Bottom