Where do you get your weather?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Sounds like a good Sunday AM topic^-^

What online weather site do you prefer? I used to use weather.com, but have recently began to use wunderground.com. I like the Nexrad radar and the clean graphics on that site.

What online weather site do you prefer? I used to use weather.com, but have recently began to use wunderground.com. I like the Nexrad radar and the clean graphics on that site.

Have used wunderground for the past ten years or so. I also use a local TV station radar loop, because it is more zoomed in than wunderground's and has the streets and such. I like wunderground's local amateur weather station data for a look at what's happening on the OTHER side of my suburb. I only use weather.com for information on climate for possible future retirement spots.

For hurricanes, I rely on the National Hurricane Center primarily and also read certain message boards and blogs.

Intellicast is nice, too, though to be honest I don't use it very often at all. I am not sure why not!

thanks I like it!

I also have 2 weather Stations like these
BAR609HGA_rg.jpg

Weather Underground, Accur Weather, Weather Channel Site, and Road Runner Weather with incursions to the NHC when interesting weather develops down in the Florida area.

I am another weather underground user from way back. On occassion I will check NOAA.

My informal observations have shown me that winter forecasting is far more accurate than summer forecasting.

I use the NWS forecasts, but I do a lot of sailing, so my favorite weather site is the NOAA marine forecast. Here is our local one:
NDBC - NWS Forecast

The National Data Buoy Center has great real time winds and water data. Here is a popular one on the Chesapeake:
NDBC - Station TPLM2

This is a commercial wind site for windsurfers, but great for anyone needing real time winds:
iWindsurf.com - MD - chesapeake Wind Data

Then, this time of year, it's always good to check this one:
National Hurricane Center

I'm shocked :eek:....you mean you guys don't listen for your local Super-Duper, Triple/Quadruple Doppler weather radar!!??...or your local weather on the 8's...or 3's....

...all that $$$ and hype and the poor guys can hardly tell if it's raining outside WHILE their on the air :eek: :rolleyes:

wunderground.com

local TV (with weather icon that flashes warnings, and a temperature display from the airport on the task bar) and TV website

weather.com
(has earthquake reports)

I just look outside. Sometimes I get really fancy and stick my hand outside.

However, my wife is terrified of tornados so we also pay the weather channel to call us if there are any severe weather alerts

Where do you get your weather?

Mostly from above here in Oregon - do other places have some new-fangled place from which they get weather? We're so provincial and behind the times!

I just look outside. Sometimes I get really fancy and stick my hand outside.

However, my wife is terrified of tornados so we also pay the weather channel to call us if there are any severe weather alerts
we got a Red Cross Weather Radio as a MPR gift - has automatic Alert system that goes off when a Weather Alert is issued - provides 7 NOAA weather bands, AM/FM radio, TV audio, light, siren and cell phone battery charger. You can also crank it to power it.
weatherradio2.jpg

The weather forecasts are really inaccurate here in far northern California. I'm sure it's worse here than elsewhere.

The stupid thing is that even though they have trouble forecasting the next morning's weather, the TV station always shows the Five-day Outlook chart as if it's gospel.

I ask my wife. If she isn't available I stick my head outside.

Does anyone really hate the Weather Channel as much as I do? I would go back to work if I could be Marshall Seese's boss. I would switch his and Jim Cantorie's jobs, just to see if the hurricane winds could move his hair. Now thats entertainment. Die weather bastard!>:D

Perhaps I'd better cap the Bushmill's.

Why would I watch a weather forecast? Highs in the 80s, lows in the 70s, tradewinds 15-25 knots. That's good until roughly November-- or the next hurricane.

I'm married to a meteorologist who used to be the ops officer at the Joint Typhoon Warning Center. So when the hurricane crosses 130W or when the Red Cross calls her to see if she's willing to volunteer at the local shelter, we check the JTWC website for a satellite picture. I can judge the severity of the forecast by the number of her four-letter epithets upon seeing the eye and the feeder bands. Then I fill up the gas tanks, get $400 out of the ATM, and check the BBQ supplies. Luckily we've only had to do that a couple times since Iniki in 1992.

I'm not sure what weather broadcasts we have around here, but I think that KSSK radio is the only one on Oahu with a back-up electrical generator. We have a couple battery-powered radios for that.

When she was at JTWC, the bane of her existence was the indiscretions posted by her troops on the Weather Underground discussion boards. JTWC actually has weather groupies.

Mostly weather.com .. I've got the desktop weather loaded onto my computer so I can see the current temperatures/radar.

wunderground.com too since they have a handy chart showing the dew point, which we use to switch from swamp cooler to air conditioner.

Usually I just meander out onto the patio to check the weather. But also use NOAA, Weather.com, and Wunderground. I like Wunderground because there a are a few local 'personal weather stations' listed, and they also provide storm damage reports that can help us judge the severity of the weather heading in our direction.....hail, wind, etc.

Being of Native American heritage, we also have an Indian weather stone. If it's wet, it's raining. If it's hot, it's sunny. If it's gone, it's REALLY windy! :D

My impression is that all the local TV radars are simply derivatives of the NOAA doppler radar, so like many previous posters, I get my radar from noaa.gov. From that radar, I can tell when it will start raining, the severity of the rain and how long it will last.

As in: "Go get your bikes in because it's gonna start raining in 3 minutes." Or "I don't wanna go to the store for another 20 minutes because it's about to rain for 15 minutes."

As for temperature and humidity, we live in south Texas, so no need ever wonder about those.

Back
Top Bottom