Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
You forgot dryer sheets.
And a telescoping handheld inspection mirror.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #122
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

How did you know I go around with my backpack all the time? Last night I went to the opera; I wore my cashmere overcoat but also my backpack. I can't leave home without it.

Ha

You frequently mention your backpack in your posts but now that I think about it it is odd . What would you need for a day in the city besides a wallet ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Instead of the backpack, may I suggest (as worn here by Hugh Jackman, People magazine's 2008 sexiest man alive--perhaps because of the murse?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotornot-hugh-jackman.jpg (18.1 KB, 205 views)
Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #124
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Instead of the backpack, may I suggest (as worn here by Hugh Jackman, People magazine's 2008 sexiest man alive--perhaps because of the murse?)

I think that is a great idea . I really like to carry teeny tiny purses and I'm constantly having to add something for my So ( a camera , his wallet ,tickets ) . This way I could be purse free and he could carry the camera , the tickets and my wallet .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That's a European carry-all. You guys don't wear these?
In this neck of the backwoods that's just code for "I'm not from around here, what's the gate # for the flight back to NYC", or please introduce yourself - I can't get any more flagrant without being too, too, too over the top.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Indiana Jones carried a man purse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indy.jpg (58.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

See how happy he looks about it?
Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Would you not call these murses pictured above "messenger bags"? When my son was in college I thought I would try to spruce him up a bit(he likes tattered and un-stylish) and bought him a Tumi messenger bag to replace his shabby backpack(he refused to buy a new one, we sent it back to the factory once to have it refurbished, had to be the same one). The messenger bag in question was black, plain, and masculine or so I thought. You should have seen the horror on his face when I showed it to him, and he blurted out "I'm not carrying a purse!" I gave it to my sister-in-law who was delighted to have it for her laptop.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #129

I get you. My son would probably rather commit hari kari rather than carry a man purse.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Man Purse.jpg (37.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Would you not call these murses pictured above "messenger bags"? When my son was in college I thought I would try to spruce him up a bit(he likes tattered and un-stylish) and bought him a Tumi messenger bag to replace his shabby backpack(he refused to buy a new one, we sent it back to the factory once to have it refurbished, had to be the same one). The messenger bag in question was black, plain, and masculine or so I thought. You should have seen the horror on his face when I showed it to him, and he blurted out "I'm not carrying a purse!" I gave it to my sister-in-law who was delighted to have it for her laptop.
That is quite the expensive messenger bag--I'm sure your SIL was thrilled!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That is quite the expensive messenger bag--I'm sure your SIL was thrilled!
She was! She travels a lot for business and pounced on it like you wouldn't believe. Actually, I bought the bag at Marshalls, and it was something like 60 or 70 bucks 7 years ago or so.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I see that Ha still wouldn't share the list of "stuff" that he must have with him at all times.

Actually, it is not a bad idea. When we are on travel and exploring a city on foot - mostly in Europe as US cities are not usually not that walkable - we always have a backpack to keep the "stuff". One simply does not "wander" around Phoenix, or LA. It appears Ha likes to wander around Seattle on foot a lot, so it makes perfect sense.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I see that Ha still wouldn't share the list of "stuff" that he must have with him at all times.

Actually, it is not a bad idea. When we are on travel and exploring a city on foot - mostly in Europe as US cities are not usually not that walkable - we always have a backpack to keep the "stuff". One simply does not "wander" around Phoenix, or LA. It appears Ha likes to wander around Seattle on foot a lot, so it makes perfect sense.
Same here when traveling from home we carry a backpack. Mainly when we will be away for more than an hr they go in the car. Water, and whatever else we want in it. I thought something like this was standard issue these days.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Good Lord - man up! When we are out and about I have the gal carry my necessaries - you know; hair brush, styling gels, skin moisturizers, nail care items, lip gel, various SPF rating sun protectors. She's got a purse - what's a woman for if not to carry all that stuff?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
... what's a woman for if not to carry all that stuff?
You mean like THIS...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:53 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Based upon this song, I'm guessing Mick must carry a man purse.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Ooooooh Purron...Indiana Jones...oh yeah...

Men have backpacks, satchels, briefcases, etc... If they have all of this stuff available, what would they keep in their pockets?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ooooooh Purron...Indiana Jones...oh yeah...

Men have backpacks, satchels, briefcases, etc... If they have all of this stuff available, what would they keep in their pockets?
In my case, billfold and cellphone and keys. In my pack go umbrella, water bottle, dental hygeine tools, paperback book, Kleenex, sunglasses and reading glasses, small notebook and pen, nuts to snack on, etc!

Ha
Old 10-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #140
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In my case, billfold and cellphone and keys. In my pack go umbrella, water bottle, dental hygeine tools, paperback book, Kleenex, sunglasses and reading glasses, small notebook and pen, nuts to snack on, etc!

Ha
Of course an umbrella! After all, it is Seattle. I was going to guess rain gear of some type.