where to get windows 10 free upgrade

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I see all over that you can get the windows 10 free upgrade and it should show up on your toolbar, but I have not seen it. anyone know where to get it for download or how to find it? thanks

Are you running Windows 7 or greater with a genuine license installed?
Do you have automatic updates running properly?

If so, an icon should show up in the lower right hand corner of your screen in the notification area (aka system tray) encouraging you to register for Windows 10.

-gauss

As above, you need to be on Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to get access to the Windows 10 update. Also, if you have an older computer that's not compatible with Windows 10 you won't see it.

I have windows 8 on my laptop and my pc, but I don't see it on either one.

There are some potential huge gotchas with the "free" Windows 10 upgrade. I highly recommend doing a little Googling before upgrading.

e.g., 'Free' Windows 10 Has 3 Massive Unanswered Questions - Forbes

These are only huge gotchas if you believe they are gotchas, and if you believe the author knows something more than MS is unwilling to communicate its rather frequent Windows 10 communications.

I have seen this author's blog posts in several places. I encourage you to read with a discerning eye. I see paranoia and fear of change. The items he mentions IMO are designed to inspire paranoia and fear of the big bad evil empire. OS after all is just a utility. It is not designed to be static forever.

Read the blog post from May "Windows 10 is the last Windows. . ." Of course it is. At some point, Windows as an OS has to give way to other OS that power all the other devices. Seriously! Change happens. . .

Rita

Also (and most of you may already be aware), MS will be throttling the updates. Just because it is available for download does not mean you will be able to get it. I believe Beta testers are first, then those that signed up through the system tray reservation icon, and so forth. Doing this so they don't get slammed with update requests week one.

Here's a critique of Gordon Kelly's Forbes blog posts regarding Windows 10.

Just sayin . . . read with a discerning eye.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Forbes says no for boneheaded reasons | BGR

I guess my point was it might be wise to wait on upgrading until Microsoft officially publishes their servicing policy. They and other PC software makers have been relentlessly pushing toward subscription-based models. One of the early adopters of this was A/V (remember when you could buy Symantec A/V once and get updates for at least 4-5 years?). More recently things like Adobe CS. This smooths revenue streams and makes it impossible to skip or delay on newer versions. Well, I guess one could skip or delay, but would still be paying for the newer version. Thus far, it has admittedly been for software/applications and not for OS.

I'm actually a MS fan and hope they don't do what the Forbes article is suggesting in regards to charging for updates after year or two.

Back
Top Bottom