Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Where to put LCD photo frame?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Where to put LCD photo frame?

Alright, we got another one of these things for Christmas and I'm feeling guilty for not using them. They seem to take up too much room on the kitchen counter and I can't really find a natural wall space where we would look at it and that is electrically convenient. I suppose if one actually w*rked, they would be nice on one's desk. My home desk already has enough junk with the computer monitor, keyboard and other junk.

Does anyone have a clever or unique way to use an LCD photo frame or is it an electronic fruitcake?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I lean towards the fruitcake description.

Those LCD photo frames are really lame, If I may so opine.

One way or another it will end up in the landfill. The question is when.

here are some more photos that you can add to your new toy.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, Hey, MasterBlaster--that was the best Christmas gift I got for the wife this year, and she really likes it. Third grandchild was born a month ago, and I was looking for someway to stop the onslaught of another 50 pics hanging on the wall. Got this one off E-bay for $100--it has a 12" diagonal viewing area and with the nice cherry-wood frame and matting, measures 14" x 11". Supposed to be capapble of 2000+ pictures. Also does music, so I loaded 6 'gooey' songs that the wife likes on it. Downsides: (1) I'm the guy who had to load all the pics & music off the computer. (2) Unit cycles pics from 3 seconds to 3 minutes depending on what you set it at--I set it for 3 secs but have noticed pics that I cropped severely on the computer will take 15+ secs to cycle-don't know why. (3) Does come with a remote, but when you turn it off, there's a bright red LED on the back that stays on (another small juice eater unless I unplug it at the wall). (4) It's kind of like a movie, so after you've watched it a few times it can get boring. I figure to mostly use it when friends & relatives come over and you want something on, but not the TV. I know you can do the same thing on the computer, but people crowded around the computer drive me nuts, and future redecorating plans call for computer to end up in a spare bedroom.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Those LCD photo frames are really lame
I've never had them, but they seem like a good idea. What's the problem with them?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

A neighbor has one cycling through her butterfly photos. I plan to get one so show off my husbands photos. The most recent one I saw looked like a really nice display.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got one for my Dad's birthday last year. I really like the idea, and thought that they would too. They were really excited about it for a while, but now I see that it's been unplugged. It's probably their "it wastes electricity" sensor going off.

I get them a grand child AND a way to display the billion pictures they take of him! What more can I do!?
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've never had them, but they seem like a good idea. What's the problem with them?
Al, send me a fruitcake and I'll send you my LCD picture frame.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Alright, we got another one of these things for Christmas and I'm feeling guilty for not using them. They seem to take up too much room on the kitchen counter and I can't really find a natural wall space where we would look at it and that is electrically convenient. I suppose if one actually w*rked, they would be nice on one's desk. My home desk already has enough junk with the computer monitor, keyboard and other junk.

Does anyone have a clever or unique way to use an LCD photo frame or is it an electronic fruitcake?
Measure the thing and go to a framing place to buy a regular picture frame (in a style that suits your decore) and glue that to the front of the LCD frame to give it some class and flair. Stick in in a bookcase or on a table.

I will eventually put one on a wall when I find one that is reliable (I can't find quality on the larger frames) and it's rechargeable (so I don't have to deal with the cord). The rechargeable may not be practical for a larger frame, so I will probably go that route once I find a large frame that I like.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #9

Got one for my mother and MIL. Critical feature is they will work with just an on switch, disable everything else. Filled with pics of kids & grand kids and great grand kids. MIL has significant memory issues so it really helps her. Now both of them almost never turn them on while alone, but when company arrives they are there to share even if only in the background.
I see a great future for them in retirement homes, full wall size, call it 'enhanced memory'.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

One of my sons and DIL have a laptop in their kitchen that cycles all the photos they have taken over the 5 years or so that they have been together. And now, their child is in many of the pics, as well as yours truly and anyone else who comes around often. It is pretty much always on.

I love it.

Ha
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love fruitcake.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Regift, Craigslist, or eBay...

We bought one in 2008 for my parents-in-law's 50th anniversary. Spouse went through all our photos, both paper & electronic, and scanned in 16 years of grandkid images. We loaded those up and gave them a DVD backup. It's a hit but now it never gets turned on because these children of the Great Depression feel that it "wastes power".

It shows photos in about a 5"x7" size and can run on its battery for 30-45 minutes. They can load their latest trip photos on it and take it to a friend's house or a restaurant. But even that doesn't have the appeal of passing around a pack of photos. It does, however, save everyone from the fear of Grandpa breaking out the slide projector again...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It looks like they use 10-40 watts of power, meaning if they are left on all the time they will cost you about $15 to $60 per year.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If one shows up as gift, it will have photos of some nice colorful fish, thus becoming a pseudo fish tank.

Never have to clean it.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
gone traveling

Fill it with vacation pictures, turn it off and put it in the guest bedroom.The batteries should last forever...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Al, send me a fruitcake and I'll send you my LCD picture frame.
I don't even LIKE fruitcake, but I'd prefer it to an LCD picture frame. I'm not sure why.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote