Where to store one's guns (Pistols only) while traveling.

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We currently have a concealed area in our home with a concealed safe that works well.

However, we are considering moving to a single-story home. I would think an in-wall concealed safe behind a photo or something would be rather obvious.

I was wondering what other folks do when they leave their home for an extended period.

Thanks in advance.

You could hide them in various spots, so even if 1 is found, the rest are not.

I bought an in the wall locked cabinet that installs between studs. Seemed like a great idea, as a person opening the door (or door already open) to bedroom, where the door opens and stops against the wall, won't naturally look behind the door as it's flat against the wall.
Unfortunately I didn't realized I had a heating duct in there :facepalm:

When we go to FL, we take a few with us, due to FL having great State shooting ranges.

When leaving home for an extended period (days) I put them in my gun safe, which is "somewhat" hidden too. When at home or nearby, they are on open display in each room on a table or a desk, etc. I don't want to be fumbling around or trying to remember where they are in any particularity room if the need arises.

Last edited:
Ours stays in the safe, which is on the floor in a closet.
It is very heavy, but can be moved by two strong people, which would be obvious to others in the neighborhood. Unless they break in at night, I guess.
I never worried about the gun anymore than other valuable things in the house if we had a theft.

Whether I'm home or not, mine are always in the gun safe, which is bolted into the floor in a closet, I remove them only to take them to the range, and I put them back in after I clean them.

+1
They not special, and to me, less work to replace than if someone took my computer (as restoring the data would take time after replacing the box).

More concerned about a bad guy using a gun that I purchased to do some dastardly deed, that can be traced back to me.

I never worried about the gun anymore than other valuable things in the house if we had a theft.

+1
They not special, and to me, less work to replace than if someone took my computer (as restoring the data would take time after replacing the box).
Some of mine are really not replaceable so I take special care with those. Even if the insurance paid me what they are worth, I doubt I'd be able to find equal replacements very easily. (They just don't make them like that anymore)

Last edited:
More concerned about a bad guy using a gun that I purchased to do some dastardly deed, that can be traced back to me.

Same if bad guy steals your car and runs over people or kills others in a car accident.
Last weekend in Chicago, a stolen car driving at excessive speed crashed into other cars, injured 16 people and killed 2. Thankfully the 2 killed were in the stolen car :) .

You would report your stolen stuff, so the cops know it's not you that hurt people with it.

DH is an arms collector, and his guns, plus some semi-valuable items, a little cash, and important papers are in a full-sized Liberty gun safe in our back room. We have a security camera with a motion detector in the room, and I check it often when we're away to make sure it's seeing only the cat or the neighbor who checks on her.

Those safes are not all that secure from theft though. My mom kept a similar one in a storage unit, not for guns but for dad's large coin collection. Someone got into the unit—probably through the narrow gap at the top—cut into the side of the safe with a sawzall, and stole nearly all the coins. A few were left at the bottom where they couldn't reach. There was also a smaller safe in the unit that contained jewelry and papers. The thieves simply bashed in the bottom of that one and took everything.

After that, we moved our most valuable jewelry and important papers to a safe deposit box.

So I'd think if you're wanting an especially safe safe, it'd need to be well-hidden, not easily moved, with it's most vulnerable sides inaccessible, and the house watched over by a security system.

Not sure why there is a problem hiding pistols in a "single-story home".

Of course a large safe, and line the bottom with small patio stones for added weight after bolting it to the floor would slow down most thieves.

Another idea, would be to disassemble each and hide the parts separately, so they would have to find both parts to have a working gun.

Bedroom is where many thieves start as most folks put valuables there.
The kitchen and laundry room are less attractive to them.

I've stored stuff under the couch before, maybe inside some piece of furniture would be good.

Remember, the ammo is very likely to be stolen.

Not so much a strong safe, but a secure "concealed" location in a single-story home is what I am after.

Not so much a strong safe, but a secure "concealed" location in a single-story home is what I am after.
The stronger the better but concealment is just as important. Plenty of videos on Utube on how to break into guns safes... I think most thieves are typically in a hurry so if it's hard to find and then takes some time to open, they probably will move on. I don't worry much about that anymore after retiring since there is almost always someone at home now.

Of course there's always the option of hiding them in plain site... e.g. In a flag case (very popular) or inside a hollowed out book or in a hidden drawer under a shelf.

Last edited:
Currently, without giving too much away, we have a small floor safe, concealed very well I would challenge anyone to find it. It is a bit of a pain to get to but works for us as we do not go into it often.

I was thinking of the same thing in an attic suitably concealed by something I could come up with.

Large Browning gun vault in my hobby room. No-one is going to manhandle that out of the house, and it would take considerable time to cut it opened.

Our home is also alarmed so I'm not too worried.

_B

Concealed is concealed. Do a good job building a hidden space and it does not need to lock or be a safe per se. Every cabinet in a home can provide some space for this in the typical box that they are set on, for example. You can make something that has a steel latch that is operated by a strong magnet, and is otherwise completely rigid and does not rattle or move until you put the magnet to it.
The average criminal would never take the time to seek out such a hide.

Same if bad guy steals your car and runs over people or kills others in a car accident.
Last weekend in Chicago, a stolen car driving at excessive speed crashed into other cars, injured 16 people and killed 2. Thankfully the 2 killed were in the stolen car :) .

You would report your stolen stuff, so the cops know it's not you that hurt people with it.

In Washington state and probably any state with laws regarding safe storage of fire arms, there's liability for crimes committed using guns stolen that weren't stored according to the law.

I keep my .223 ammo in a gun safe, and the .223 in a locked/secure closet. The ammo and 20 round clips are worth more than the gun.

Does the new home have an attic? We usually keep our gun in a safe. But when we have any grandkids for a sleepover, the gun is kept in a separate locked case in the attic, hidden under insulation.

Currently, without giving too much away, we have a small floor safe, concealed very well I would challenge anyone to find it. It is a bit of a pain to get to but works for us as we do not go into it often.

I was thinking of the same thing in an attic suitably concealed by something I could come up with.

The attic is actually a pretty good idea. Just put the firearms under the insulation, I can't imagine anyone would go up there much less pull up all the insulation.

I would just give them to my dentist to hold for me. He has lots of firearms and could just put them in his safe until I return. Do you have a family member or friend you trust with a firearm?

Back
Top Bottom