Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
RPI had a good nuclear program and is an excellent "undergrad" engineering school, in fact it is the oldest engineering school in North America. Since it is a fairly small school it lags others in terms of grad school/research, and is not as well recognized nationally as much as in the past. As for Troy, a dying mill town, and as far as I know, not much is going on there today except for RPI and the nursing school down the hill.
My nephew will be a junior at RPI this fall - he has enjoyed his first two years even though it has been quite challenging for him - he's working his @#$ off but a little hard work never hurt anyone. We've visited him a few times since my daughter lives nearby. Great school.

As for me, BS from Bentley College (now Bentley University) and MBA from Northeastern University.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My nephew will be a junior at RPI this fall - he has enjoyed his first two years even though it has been quite challenging for him - he's working his @#$ off but a little hard work never hurt anyone. We've visited him a few times since my daughter lives nearby. Great school.
During my early years in the AF, my best friend was an RPI grad. He was one of the most talented EEs I've ever met, so it's clear that it's a good school.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron

BS from the Naval Academy and a JD from Yale? Dang, I'm impressed!
I admit that is impressive. But I know a guy with a BS from Annapolis, did his time on the Enterprise and then got a PHD in Mech Eng from MIT. Mech Eng at PhD level takes serious intellect and then compound that with MIT. He then went on to get his CFA.

Me, I'm BSc PhD physics, Imperial College and post Doc Harvard/Smithsonian Institute.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #44
Administrator

That's quite an education. I have always been blessed to have lived with people smarter than me. A former USNA classmate and later roommate of mine got his BS from USNA, his MBA from Harvard Business School and then an MD from Cornell Medical School.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #45

Some very impressive degrees!
BA in Religion from Trinity University in San Antonio, Graduate degree in Early Childhood Education, Texas Tech.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #46

BSME, General Motors Institute
Flint, Michigan, 1959

The school has not been owned by GM for at least 15 years. It's name was changed then to Kettering University.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #47

BS ('81) and MS ('83) from UC Santa Cruz. Talk about changes...they offer grades in all their classes now, and it seems that drugs are now optional!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

As for me, BS from Bentley College (now Bentley University) and MBA from Northeastern University.
Heck, I had nightmares over some of those exams months after I graduated. To impress your nephew with your knowledge, you can ask him about the tute screw.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

1968 - Louisiana State University, BS - Marketing
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Another Gaucho - UCSB. Not on the party track, graduated with highest honors. MS from U of Illinois at shampoo-bananna (Champaigne - Urbana).
I hate to say it, but I left UCSB after my freshman year and transferred to UCR because I saw too many spoiled little rich kids cheating their way through college there. I'm sure it wasn't the majority of students, but I lived with a whole bunch of them at the Trop in IV and couldn't stomach it.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
1968 - Louisiana State University, BS - Marketing
Go Tigers! Our son just got his MBA from LSU.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinmama View Post
I hate to say it, but I left UCSB after my freshman year and transferred to UCR because I saw too many spoiled little rich kids cheating their way through college there. I'm sure it wasn't the majority of students, but I lived with a whole bunch of them at the Trop in IV and couldn't stomach it.
Unfortunately I had never seen or even heard of UCSB until I had already graduated university. If I had, I would have had a different, much nicer alma mater.

Ha
Old 06-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Another Gaucho - UCSB. Not on the party track, graduated with highest honors. MS from U of Illinois at shampoo-bananna (Champaigne - Urbana).
Santa Barbara definitely has a reputation as the party school in the UC system but it is the #34 ranked research university in the world according to the rankings given below and to get in these days as an undergrad you need to have pretty close to a 4.0 with a handful of AP classes.

Academic Ranking of World Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Undergrad Idaho State Univ (Pocatello) '90
Graduate: Univ of Texas Health Sci Center, San Antonio '03
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb

Santa Barbara definitely has a reputation as the party school in the UC system but it is the #34 ranked research university in the world according to the rankings given below and to get in these days as an undergrad you need to have pretty close to a 4.0 with a handful of AP classes.

Academic Ranking of World Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The engineering school was pretty rigorous back in my day also. Sure there were some vacationers there, but it seemed way better than your average big football school.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

My BA was from the University of Virginia.

I didn't know it was an all-men's school (at least back in the day) until I got to my dorm freshman year. Meant to talk my guidance counsellor about that, except he's long gone. Worked out in the end as future DW was at Randolph Macon down the road.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

CUNY Queens College, BA Major in Media Studies, Business & Liberal Arts Minor
jackontrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
My BA was from the University of Virginia.

I didn't know it was an all-men's school (at least back in the day) until I got to my dorm freshman year. Meant to talk my guidance counsellor about that, except he's long gone. Worked out in the end as future DW was at Randolph Macon down the road.
My hall of residence had men's and women's floors. It took about a month for them to become co-ed as people hooked up. Apparently this happened every year, university admin took the attitude that we were all 18 years old so could sleep with who we liked. The college only provided 1 year of accommodation, after that we had to get flats in London and commute to college....best time of my life!
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

DFW

Geaux Tigers
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #60
Confused about dryer sheets

The University of Minnesota Golden Gophers(the fiercest of all burrowing creatures).
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote