Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
After seeing all your houses Iīm a bit embarrased at showing mine. But this isnīt a contest, is it? I like the new trend of posts are going a lot Itīs a pic of what you call the backyard. The front part is uglier, and I have my pride, so youīll have to go without seeing it
I thought I saw some rock wall and header above the doorway behind you and your son! Huge fan of natural stone use in homes - recently looked at this house near Loma Linda California - unfortunately, very poorly done homeowner work and it gave evidence of wanting to come down it's hill! Also like that you use the wood in it's natural state, unpainted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (926.8 KB, 4 views)
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Here's mine from Google streetview, and a view from the back deck from my facebook page. The house is a little on the dumpy side, but it keeps the hot and cold out, and we don't get rained on, and we love the views and neighborhood. Very conveniently located and cheap to boot. Oh yeah, we own the house on the left in the first photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my house.jpg (379.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg lakeview4.jpg (54.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Here's mine from Google streetview, and a view from the back deck from my facebook page. The house is a little on the dumpy side, but it keeps the hot and cold out, and we don't get rained on, and we love the views and neighborhood. Very conveniently located and cheap to boot.
Is that a lake you're on?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Is that a lake you're on?
Yes, it is. Lake Fuego.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Yes, it is. Lake Fuego.
Very nice! And it's a genuine lake, unlike "Lake W2R" that occurs in my back yard after heavy rains.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I have one of those little ponds with a plastic liner and fountain in my back yard. It's about 5 feet by 2 feet. Here's a picture of it. We call it Lake Purron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lake Purron.JPG (433.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Very nice! And it's a genuine lake, unlike "Lake W2R" that occurs in my back yard after heavy rains.
We live in the city, so it is a small lake, but we really like the scenery, autumn tree colors, the wildlife, and the sunsets.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Here are our two condos, the first in Mexico and the second in Vancouver BC:
Casa Vista Guadeloupe Photo Tour

Penthouse
Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW's "dream house":

Back view. I need to water that grass!

My dream house.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Anyone ever use an out house? This one looks exactly like the one my great grandmother had.....

I have to tell ya, I got splinters in my tookus....
Old 05-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
DW's "dream house":

Back view. I need to water that grass!

My dream house.
Quite the Mcmansion you got............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I shoulda gone into the car business....
Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Anyone ever use an out house? This one looks exactly like the one my great grandmother had.....

Growing up my folks wanted to raise us in the country - that meant a number of increasingly large bits of acreage for the cattle and not a lot of consideration for the house. Can remember at least four places that had outhouses - even though the homes had indoor plumbing. Where others had mortgage burnings, we had the ceremonial outhouse burning once we were all moved in and everything was working. During the couple years the family lived in a barn while building a house they actually built an outhouse and had an outdoor solar shower and hauled water from the springhouse. Missed most of that by being in the Navy. To tough for my delicate sensibilities.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Growing up my folks wanted to raise us in the country - that meant a number of increasingly large bits of acreage for the cattle and not a lot of consideration for the house. Can remember at least four places that had outhouses - even though the homes had indoor plumbing. Where others had mortgage burnings, we had the ceremonial outhouse burning once we were all moved in and everything was working. During the couple years the family lived in a barn while building a house they actually built an outhouse and had an outdoor solar shower and hauled water from the springhouse. Missed most of that by being in the Navy. To tough for my delicate sensibilities.
Heh...me too.

My mom and dad never had indoor plumbing when they were growing up. They lived in a rural area; hoed and chopped cotton, tended to the garden and took care of the animals. When they married and had me, we always lived in a house with indoor plumbing and electricity. The houses were old, rundown and drafty, but I never felt sad or afraid because they were there.

The biggest complaint I have now about my house is the color of a couple of walls....

I need to remind myself more often how truly fortunate I am.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #55
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
DSCN3873.JPG

DSCN3874.JPG

DSCN3875.JPG
Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I did... When I was a kid my parents decided to renovate an old country house that didn't have bathrooms. We used to spend our week-ends and summers there and for several years, until the renovation was finally completed, we had to use the old outhouse. We also had to heat some water on the stove to take our showers outside... Thank goodness for indoor plumbing.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Being a city dweller all my life, I would just not go to such weekend "retreat", if I had a choice.

Thank goodness for RVs.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Looking over all these beautiful homes makes me wonder of some in our company don't have a lot of their net worth in real estate. True, in some parts of the country nice large homes are reasonably priced, but as we have seen of late having a nice place to live that isn't more than we need can be freeing. [I know, says I with the view avatar!]
Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Being a city dweller all my life, I would just not go to such weekend "retreat", if I had a choice.

Thank goodness for RVs.
Oh we had a RV too... It was a pop-up camper though. Still no bathroom...

Of course, now the old country house has all the comforts of modern life, including satellite TV, telephone, high speed internet, a massage therapy tub (and 3 bathrooms, yeah!), and for my step mom's enjoyment a dishwasher! It may not seem like much, but my dad considered many of these "luxuries" non-grata for many years... Given the house's secluded location in the mountains, my dad wanted it to be a haven and he felt that modern conveniences would get in the way.

The house is still a work in progress though (it has been for 36 years). The driveway should have been paved by now.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #60
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Yes, I have used an outhouse and I guarantee one does not waste time in there at 30 below zero.