Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Where You Live
Old 12-07-2006, 07:23 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Home of Evander Hollyfield and Jimmy Carter
xmanz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Charleston, SC, land of tasty crustaceans, peaceful tidal creeks, white sand beaches, beautiful and historic city center, annual world-class arts festivals (SpoletoUSA and MOJA), and fine Southern hospitality. Y'all c'mon down and set a spell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston,_South_Carolina
Old 12-07-2006, 11:25 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Charleston, SC, land of tasty crustaceans, peaceful tidal creeks, white sand beaches, beautiful and historic city center, annual world-class arts festivals (SpoletoUSA and MOJA), and fine Southern hospitality. Y'all c'mon down and set a spell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston,_South_Carolina
My uncle lives in Tyler, and I am going to see him at Easter. Never been there, but he says the Smokies are 2 and a half hours away...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Think Denver for topography and climate (except knock about 10F off on temps on average). Population of city proper currently 1 million. Going nuts with growth in both economy and population.

Can get brutally cold to -35 or so in winter interspersed with 'chinook' winds which can then raise temps to 50 within a day. Average winter temps though maybe 20F. Many people become snowbirds for winter....Arizona mostly. Summers are typically sunny and dry with temps 65-85 and the Rockies are less than an hour away for lots of outdoor fun.
Same as AltaRed. Good description of Calgary btw.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm from Southern California. But I don't live there anymore, I left in the 1970's. Then I moved to San Jose, CA. But I don't live there anymore, I left in the1980's. I moved to the California Gold country, near Jackson, CA. But I don't live there anymore, because I moved to the Sacramento region in the 1990's. It's been good to me so far. My first home in the foothills of the Sacramento valley doubled in price in 5 years, so I sold that and bought a distressed property nearby for about $.50 on the dollar in 2000, spent the last six years upgrading, remodeling and landscaping it, and it has more than doubled in value (after "losing" value in the recent housing slump). Even if prices locally drop 25%, I double my investment here, so I'll sell when the market will bear it. I don't think I'll make much more in CA real estate though, unless I wait and buy some from folks that went too deep on STUPID mortgages and HELOCs over the last five years.

I am sick and tired of Calif and the crazy pace of life here, and will retire to a paid off home out of state sometime in the next few years.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #66

I am sick and tired of Calif and the crazy pace of life here, and will retire to a paid off home out of state sometime in the next few years.

Crazy pace of life in CA I travelled to CA on business a number of times and found it to be pretty laid back compared to the frantic northeast pace.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #67

Jeff Skilling just moved to Minnesota. Plans on spending his retirement (24 years) here - even in the winter.

In Waseca (Motto is "An Hour or a Lifetime") - more southern than all of the ER Minnesota contingent that I know of - between Sleepy Eye - Blue Earth (I understand there is blue earth there) - Le Sueur - and Owatonna.. basically Jolly Green Giant country... well he may soon join our forum...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,236368,00.html

Are there any members that are currently in prison?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #68

I think he'll be LBHM's and will have a great retirement.

As far as the winter goes he'll be indoors most of the time.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #69

This is the price he must pay for living the lavish life style on somebody else's dime......Too bad they couldn't recover any monies from Lay's estate.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

I currently live in Japan, home of Konishiki, Akebono and Musashimaru.
Prior to that I was in Hawai`i, home of Konishiki, Akebono and Musashimaru.

Prior to that, various places, including Boston -- now to become the home of Daisuke Matsuzaka.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
I currently live in Japan, home of Konishiki, Akebono and Musashimaru.
Prior to that I was in Hawai`i, home of Konishiki, Akebono and Musashimaru.
Well said... I wonder how many people here have seen those guys on TV!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:32 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Owensboro, KY

Pop ~50,000 (for the last 20 years); Slightly known for Moonlite BBQ, Florence Henderson, the Waltrips, couple of bluegrass stars, and maybe a little more, but not much.

job
obryanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Central Florida Hot in fall, Warm in winter, Hot in Spring, Even hotter in summer
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bushnell-Florida.html
Old 12-17-2006, 02:30 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy O
Owensboro, KY

Pop ~50,000 (for the last 20 years); Slightly known for Moonlite BBQ, Florence Henderson, the Waltrips, couple of bluegrass stars, and maybe a little more, but not much.

job
Actually, you have something else to celebrate. Owensboro Medical Health System is becoming known as a national leader in continuous improvement in health care delivery. They have done an great job of implementing the 6 strategies outlined in the Insitute for Healthcare Improvement's 100,000 lives campaign (see www.ihi.org) and just last week presented on their results at the IHI Annual Forum in Orlando. (I attended the presentation). Basically, hospital mortality is way down because they are getting very good at proactively preventing complications.

Meadbh, MD
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:34 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
Canadian prairies. Lovely (short) summers, and the other 8 months of the year.
ditto, but I don't plan to RE here. Winter is too challenging.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:54 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Actually, you have something else to celebrate. Owensboro Medical Health System is becoming known as a national leader in continuous improvement in health care delivery. They have done an great job of implementing the 6 strategies outlined in the Insitute for Healthcare Improvement's 100,000 lives campaign (see www.ihi.org) and just last week presented on their results at the IHI Annual Forum in Orlando. (I attended the presentation). Basically, hospital mortality is way down because they are getting very good at proactively preventing complications.

Meadbh, MD
They are good, but they have a very up hill battle in terms of general pop health. I recently moved to KY from PA; and grew up in this very area. The number of smokers is truely unbelievable. I work in TN sometimes and same thing, lots of smokers. In my own family 5 out of 9 siblings smoke, over 50%.

Could be a poll; good health habits / bad health habits for ER's and ER wannabees.

job
obryanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy O
They are good, but they have a very up hill battle in terms of general pop health. I recently moved to KY from PA; and grew up in this very area. The number of smokers is truely unbelievable. I work in TN sometimes and same thing, lots of smokers. In my own family 5 out of 9 siblings smoke, over 50%.

Could be a poll; good health habits / bad health habits for ER's and ER wannabees.

job
There's a big difference between population health, and health care. Health care is only one of many dererminants of population health, and it's not the most important one. It's there to pick up the pieces!

US leaders are "discovering" population health and in fact a major discussion centred around it at the IHI meeting.