Join Early Retirement Today

Where you were employed pics
Old 07-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Where you were employed pics

Most recent was in 1984 on the 19th and 23rd floor of the (Montgomery Ward) tower in Chicago... Now apartments.

In 1979, was in the larger complex, riverside. It's 1.25 million square feet in size. That picture is all of the buildings except for the bridge

In 1970, in the Albany NY, office building in Menands...Now offices and apartments. Office was on the 9rh floor... in the tower. The 10th floor, housed the elevator equipment, and was the home to many bats.

Where did you work?... (Pics) Fond Memories?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ward Tower.jpg (89.8 KB, 464 views)
File Type: png Ward complex.png (436.1 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Wards Albany.jpg (10.7 KB, 455 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

250 west 135 street. about 1/3 of my career. https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...!4d-73.9453589. Locker room was on the 4th floor. If you forgot something in the summer and had to run up the steps to get it , you were soaked (no air condition).
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Where I worked on a survey crew while in college:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woods.jpg (46.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
Administrator

The one photo I don't have, but remember quite well. A management training class, a group 30 plus instructors, held at a beach resort outside Caracas where we typically had training. The group was one woman and 29 men.The photographer took multiple shots, but apparently they all came out the same. The group was off to one side of the hotel, a very green area with lots of plants, quiet and no place to walk. Most of the men in the photo are all looking off to one side, while the sole woman is staring directly at the camera. Not captured by the photographer were a couple of women sunbathing topless, off to the side in what they thought was secluded, and now the same area where the men were looking.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #5

Cavalier AFS from 1976 to 2010
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Par Bldg Winter.jpg (61.9 KB, 420 views)
File Type: jpg user15758_pic1420_1480906331.jpg (9.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I worked at the Bell Labs facility in Holmdel NJ for 25 years. Designed by famed architect Eero Saarinen, and once the jewel of America's R & D efforts, the building has lately been seen in the Cadillac commercial shown during the Oscars broadcast.

I have some great memories of that building.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #7

One of the newer facilities I worked in.

The place I spent a majority of my career but has since been closed.

Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Don't have a photo - a map will have to do. My last gig - surveying the right of way of the Elgin O'hare West Access.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 11.37.49 AM.jpg (703.5 KB, 78 views)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We used to walk up here after lunch. I w*rked down below. I can see three of the five buildings I was in.

http://edckc.com/wp-content/uploads/kcscout.jpg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was in college I had a summer job at Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires, I worked in the ticket booth for the brand-new alpine slide. I came across this photo from the grand opening celebration in 1978 showing MA Sen Jack Fitzpatrick and my boss.

A big perk of that job was a free ride on the alpine slide once a day. But I was scared of heights so, after one time, I never took advantage of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (125.6 KB, 75 views)
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My Industrial Engineering days I worked for the brass and copper manufacturing plant in Ansonia, Connecticut. The plant was built in ~1890 or so (I found pictures of the power plant going up in 1911). It was shut down in about 15 years ago. About 1,000,000 sq/ft under roof. When I was in CT this past April, I drove by and stopped at a gate and took this (welcome to the real New England):

IMG_20170422_133827.jpg
Old 07-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Wish I did have a picture. Looking out my office, there was a field across the road. Behind that there was a forested area. Part of the field was planted in "prairie grass" which could just be called "wild flowers." I often saw herds of deer running and playing in the field or darting in and out of the woods. Megacorp installed hiking trails back through the woods and sometimes, lunch was a cafeteria meal in a box carried across the road to a gazebo by the woods. Nice.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I like the anonymous nature of the internet, and for that reason do not want to post a photo of the outside of my work building. It would be equivalent to telling the world where I worked, and that idea doesn't float my boat.

Photos of the workspace inside were not allowed for security reasons. That's pretty understandable.

So, no photo. But I can tell you that in looking through the photos in an attempt to find something I could post, the sheer joy of retirement intensified considerably.

Will it EVER grow old? Now, in my 8th year of retirement, I'd say "Never!"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not against posting my picture (above) where I cut my teeth in engineering as it reminds me how poorly some companies were run in the 1970's (and earlier). That was a tribute to how we lost our once held manufacturing excellence in this great country of ours.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Firefighting, Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado. 2000

LM139_6-27, DON.jpg
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The main entrance to head office:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1150.jpg (130.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #17

Not a place anyone wants to be stationed, but I retired from here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pentagon.jpg (18.3 KB, 350 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

One employer's London offices were in this building. I was never based there, but boy,did I feel like the height of cool as I walked past tourists on my way in every morning when I had meetings there.

athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDriver View Post
I worked at the Bell Labs facility in Holmdel NJ for 25 years. Designed by famed architect Eero Saarinen, and once the jewel of America's R & D efforts, the building has lately been seen in the Cadillac commercial shown during the Oscars broadcast.

I have some great memories of that building.
Bell Labs and Western Electric were the main contractors on construction of the Perimeter Acquistion Radar (PAR) at Cavaliet AFS.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

A picture from a prior career. This equipment is newer then ours(1930s). It's representative of the job I did for a few years. That circle saw spins at 600 RPM with a 100 hp diesel powering it. I stood just behind the saw and routinely had my fingers next to it; to pull slabs and scrap from it. It's called offbearer or stupid depending how hungry you are.

There's little guides that keep the front of the saw from going sideways in a log. The saw has a tension to it, so the guides must be adjusted with the saw at full speed. Many old time sawyers are missing the same two fingers.[emoji111]

My best friend had his jeans caught in the arbor and luckily his pants shreaded. The power unit wasn't stopping.

http://www.spachtsawmill.com/wp-cont...9-1024x682.jpg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote