Which American Accent Do You Have?

1 came out neutral, but have spent most of my life in Maine where there is a serious twang. Ayuh!

neutral accent. i’m an American (which is also how i answer when asked about my race, ethnicity or national origin).

Neutral, but I actually have a slight southern/Texas accent and use plenty of southern colloquialisms.

Grew up all over including international.

Northern for me. I am a bit surprised because in the north there are many different accents. My Hoosier accent is a lot different than people from Detroit or Cleveland. I also spent 27 years near Pittsburgh and native Pittsburghers have a very distinctive accent. We call them Yinzers.

Northern for me. Makes sense - I've lived in northern Illinois my whole life. And when I'm away, people always tell me that I have a midwest or northern accent.

I came out Neutral, which isn’t a surprise. Californians (or in my case, former Californians) often have generic sounding accents.

One of my favorite accent quizzes is the one the New York Times did, for those looking for another dialect quiz,

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html
Yes I have done this one in the past and enjoyed it. It focuses less on accent and more on word usage. Even though I am Canadian, it gets me quite well. My extended family is from 30 minutes north of Detroit (with a grandmother from Michigan) and I grew up 30 minutes from Buffalo and those are the two US locations it most identifies.

Western for me. Born in PA and lived there for the majority of my childhood and then again for 6 years as an adult, lived in OH a few times, CA for probably a year or less around age 10 and WV since 1986.

My result was western. I am from Illinois, although I picked up some southern twang in my speech over the years from spending significant time around southern people. I would love to get rid of that twang! Any advice?

My result was western. I am from Illinois, although I picked up some southern twang in my speech over the years from spending significant time around southern people. I would love to get rid of that twang! Any advice?

I got "Western" too. I was born and raised in southern Illinois till age 11 and still have a bit of the southern twang, despite living in Washington state for 46 years. Short of seeing a speech therapist and lots of practice, I don't think you ever lose the accent completely.

My nickname throughout high school was "The Southern Twang". :) I don't mind, it's where I'm from and part of what makes me... Me.

My result was Northeastern, which is vaguely interesting because I grew up in North East England.

It appears that I am just plain American. That sounds about right. For the first 18 years of my life I moved to 8 different locations including Japan. Since my father was military my friends were from all over the country so in addition to locations I was exposed to many different word pronunciations. Other influences may be that my father was from New England area and mother from the South. I also unknowingly picked up the ability to changed my speech pattern to mimic those I was around.

Cheers!

Northern (Chicago) accent which, of course, is THE proper American English.

North Central >>> Dakota, MN, WS and Canada the test had for me. So, the test was some what right. Grew up and stayed in the Dakota/Montana area all my live. Farthest I been in any direction is Washington state, MN and Utah other wise I was back in the sticks.

Last edited:
It said Northern and I grew up in Kenosha Wisconsin. People have commented that they know what part of the country I am from no matter where I have lived.

Technically correct in describing me as Northeastern. But my metropolitan NYC area speaks decidedly different from New England states like Massachusetts. I
was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY and my first 2 corporate jobs after college were in NYC.

Then I got a job promotion, and for the first time I was dealing with people from across the country. I was CONSTANTLY being told things like "Well, I can tell where you're from" and "No doubt about it, you're from New York aren't you?" I did my darnedest to shed my NY accent to no avail. The best I could do was literally avoid saying certain words -- "speak" instead of "talk" (I can only say it as 'tawk'), auto instead of car, (I say it as cah), and others. I am convinced I missed out on a couple of job offers because of my accent.

Which region puts a long-E syllable in many words, e.g. fee-yamly for family, Ee-ann for "Ann," etc. ? I'm thinking Ohio?

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

I've taken these type tests before, mostly ones that predict where you're from. They have many of the same questions as this accent one plus stuff like "is this a pill bug or rolly polly?"

Last edited:
I am central Canada so we are pretty neutral in terms of accent generally.

You'd be surprised. Rural and Northern Ontario residents have a distinct accent (think of the show "Letterkenny") My wife has it.

On the rare occasion that I go back to the little farming town that I grew up in and hoist a few jars with the boys, it even comes out in me (I was raised in a British household. My mother has always told me to speak "properly" and not like a "Canadian" :facepalm:).

Overall, as a function of population, I would say that Canada has fewer distinct accents than the US but the accents that we do have can be pretty wild (Are ye from away, Yes B'Y)

Even leaving out of course the Quebecois and their general and internal accents.

Back
Top Bottom