Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Only the turbos require premium. Everything else is regular.
Anyway to disconnect the AWD?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
So far all good suggestions I am starting on the quest this weekend . I do love Toyota but I'm still leery . My Mom had a Malibu that she sold a few years ago to my cousin and it is still going strong . I like the Hyundai designs but are they reliable . I also like the Honda CRV . It's a top contender and the Honda place seems ripe to deal. I looked at some one year old cars but unless they are high priced models the savings are minimal.
Use that leeriness to negotiate.

I just came off lot with a 2010 pilot. Sticker was 39k and I had it down to 34k after negotiating.

Go to toyota, pick a car, and price it out. See how low they will go before you walk out.

The #1 rule with negotiating a car- if you are not uncomfortable, its a good deal for them LOL. My first offer on the pilot, the saleman replied "we only accept serious offers", but I still saved 5k+ on the sticker.

See if you can get Toyota to knock off 6k, or go to honda.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I think that what they say and what they do will be 2 different things. I also did the internet thing to no avail. The Toyoguard is on every invoice which amounts to nothing for your $. Make ready, dealer fees, inflated MV fees. Just not me cup of tea to play all the games. In NY a dealer would be out of business playing all these games. I guess I'm just not used to being on the other side of the deal. We always offered items to our customers and some were good and some were bad. Down here there is no option, it's on the car and that's that. You may be able to negotiate some of it off but then it's some other charge you'll have to deal with.

Some of the Toyota dealers said they didn't charge any "dealer fees" I found out they just call them something else yet they still charge them.

Toyota has that regional thing all over the country.... they signed them way back when they were just coming to the US and from what I read are stuck with them... I think they tried to get out of the agreement for the one that does Texas and surrounding states... but I think they came to another agreement and it keep on....

I do think the Toyota dealers complained enought that they now offer some cars without all the junk that nobody wants... we just looked at a few Corollas and they had a couple without the markups...

My friend and I used to call the other fee you mentioned the 'just because' fee... it is just because they can... enough stupid people will pay the fee to get that Toyota or Honda that is in demand.... so why not.. I remember one Honda dealer even showed it as a 'market adjustment fee'... I remember on one car it was $2,000... can not remember which one though...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #64
gone traveling

Quote:
My car is 11 years old and just passed the 100,000 mile mark so I am seriously considering a new car . My last car was a Toyota Solara and I loved it but I'm still slightly wary of Toyota . I 'm looking for a small SUV or sedan ( Think Camry or the Hyundai Sonata ) . What would my fellow forum members buy and why ?
I would not say Camry is small. I think Corolla would qualify as a small vehicle though these days those small cars become compact more like it.
I'm probably biased towards Toyota because we both drive them. My DH drives '97 Corolla (base model, manual windows, casette, manual shift). He bought it when it was 3y.o. and still hesitates to replace it. It's 105k miles on it, I'm guessing, no major repairs even after two small accidents that required fixing exterior and did cause any internal problems. Mine was bought new. It's 2003 Camry and still love it. It has 85K miles, no major repairs, only regular maintenance, new brakes and tires.

Yes, I was worried about all this Toyota's exposure in media, but in my way of thinking, I suppose the company has to perform more rigorous testing before new cars are rolled off of assembly lines these days because Toyota doesn't want to lose its loyal customers and also wishes to win others people back who lost their faith in Toyota.
When we start looking for a car, I might test Civic.

PS. I remember when Toyota was announced to have surpassed GM as the biggest automaker, I said to my DH "now let's wait and see because I think it will get in trouble like GM did when it became the biggest many years ago."
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

To the OP.... I have seen and read a few reviews of mid sized cars... a comparison test... the new 2011 Hyundai Sonata is winning them all. If you are going this direction it would be something I would look at...

I looked at the Hyundai SUVs and they seemed pretty good for the price... I bought an Elantra a year ago... still not sure of the very long term repair record... but for the first 5 years it seems that they match Toyota and Honda... hopefully they will for the next 10....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks everybody for your advice . The Honda CRV is at the top of my list . I'm looking at the EX model.
I'd buy the CRV. It was #2 on my list when I was looking at new SUV's, as I mentioned back when I bought my Venza. I really think you can't go wrong with it. Good choice.

Next step - - the test drive?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It is scary . That's why I usually close my eyes when I drive the high part .
I thought that was you .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I thought that was you .
When was that bridge built?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
W2R, I'm here to say that buying a car in Florida is not easy, unless you want to lay down and give them all your money. They may sell it to you cheap, which I doubt, but they will kill you with a bunch of fees that make no sense.
Believe me I tried to buy a new Toyota last week, didn't work out so well for me.
After 35 years in the car biz I've never seen anything like the scams they are running down here. Not a good idea to know too much if you want to buy a new car in Florida.
Huh? Have bought three cars new in the last 7 years in Fla and never had a problem, with prices being more or less competitive based on my homework. Fees are stiff, but that is typical for no-income-tax states, at least in Az and Fl.

Did I miss something? I did pay cash, so if it is related to financing it was irrelevant to me.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moemg,
I mentioned earlier that I have a 2003 CRV (EX) and one thing that bugged me was the rear brakes needed to be replaced at 14k miles (other cars around 20-30k), and I don't ride my brakes. This obviously is different for each person, their driving habits and each car, but what bothered me the most was the wear indicator never went off. When I checked the rotors, they were scored only on the opposite side of the rotor on both rear rotors (the rotors still had about 33% more wear to go on the indicator side). I couldn't find any shop that would cut the rotors even though they weren't scored too badly. Then I discovered the rotors were cheaper to replace than to have them recut. I called the Honda dealer nearest me and they weren't surprised at the uneven wear on the back brakes. I only have 24k miles on the car and the front brakes haven't worn out yet, but I believe I should check them soon now that I'm writing this.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Hondas have an ongoing problem with premature wear on brakes that is flat out maddening and Honda refuses to do anything about it. Forget about the 3year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper, Honda only covers brakes for 1 year 12,000. Having put two sets of rear rotors on my 2003 Accord in the last 35,000 miles, I can safely say Honda is terrible at brakes............

Old 08-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
When was that bridge built?
Completed in 1987 as noted here. In 1980 during its long construction, a freighter rammed into it.

In 2010 a nice lady from Sarasota with an aging car was seen careening off the side rails with her eyes shut.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Anyway to disconnect the AWD?
Meh, if you don't like AWD, don't buy one.

Up until 1994 or 1995 you could actually get a FWD Subaru, but they did away with that option.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I guess so!!

But, if I really really REALLY needed great gas mileage such as that provided by a Prius or other hybrid, then I'd also look at a Fit even though it isn't a hybrid. My co-worker reported absolutely mind-boggling mileage with hers.

When I was looking I was very impressed with the zippy in town feel and steering response of the Fit. Wanted to like the Elantra Touring but hated the steering feel - tried two different Tourings and they both felt awful. The Fit at 55mph had zero poop - sometimes I want to pass at that speed. Went with very used BMW wagon.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #75
Gone but not forgotten

Now I know why we keep our cars sooo long because car shopping is awful . I test drove the Hyundai Sonata & the Hyundai Tucson. I love the looks of the Sonata and it drives great . The Tucson was just okay . It took me forever to get a price and it was not a great one since the Sonatas are selling so well . I'm going to test drive the Honda this week end . Hopefully they give me a better deal . I am also going to Toyota to check out the Rav & the Camry and if I have any sanity left I'll check out the Subrau's . My SO's son had a Subrau that lasted forever .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #76
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Completed in 1987 as noted here. In 1980 during its long construction, a freighter rammed into it.

In 2010 a nice lady from Sarasota with an aging car was seen careening off the side rails with her eyes shut.

Every time I drive that bridge I remember the freighter story and I hyperventilate especially at the top where you can not see the other side .
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #77
Gone but not forgotten

After I visited the car dealerships today I thought about those salesmen who willingly get in cars with people for test drives . I bet they have some scary experiences .
Old 08-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Now I know why we keep our cars sooo long because car shopping is awful . I test drove the Hyundai Sonata & the Hyundai Tucson. I love the looks of the Sonata and it drives great . The Tucson was just okay . It took me forever to get a price and it was not a great one since the Sonatas are selling so well . I'm going to test drive the Honda this week end . Hopefully they give me a better deal . I am also going to Toyota to check out the Rav & the Camry and if I have any sanity left I'll check out the Subrau's . My SO's son had a Subrau that lasted forever .
Sorry I'm late to this thread. I just bought a car and went through the frustrating madness of making a decision, so I can relate. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Consumer Reports car review issue. Our library keeps the hard copy behind the counter. It really helped me to make a decision with something approaching facts (actual road tests, plus surveys of large numbers of people). The latest issue took a pass on the Toyotas because it came out when all the problems were surfacing, but they have long-term repair/reliability data on all makes.
Whatever decision you make, it will be a relief once it's made! I feel like the weight of the world is off my shoulders, although compared to the state of the stock market, a car purchase is small potatoes. Even if I do clip coupons to buy food, when not at Costco.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #79
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Sorry I'm late to this thread. I just bought a car and went through the frustrating madness of making a decision, so I can relate. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Consumer Reports car review issue.

So what car did you buy ?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks everybody for your advice . The Honda CRV is at the top of my list . I'm looking at the EX model.
That's a good choice also the Rav4.

One thing people aren't mentioning about Hyundai's is their resale value.
It's horrible. This still matters if you keep a car forever because it could get stolen, totaled out, etc.. and the insurance company would give you nothing for it.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote