Which car ?

They are changing the grill style on a lot of their cars for 2011 which are coming out Mid . August . I talked them into giving me a extra discount for cash . They are ready to deal but you have to hang in there .

They are playing with you! There is no discount for cash. The dealership will make less money if you pay cash. There is no kickback from the bank for finance reserve when paying cash.

I would have bought the CRV as I really like the look and utility of the vehicle. The problem is my knee hit the shifter that sticks out from the dashboard.

Do you mean the parking brake on the left? Yeah, I didn't like that.

No, actually it's the gear shifter that sticks out in the middle of the dashboard. My right knee rests on it and after a few minutes it hurts, no way can I drive the CRV more than a few minutes at a time.

I'm not sure what you mean, but either I have smaller knees, or the configuration is different in Canada.....

I tried to buy a new Jeep Wrangler today to tow behind my motor home. Why does no one recommend these?

Bad gas mileage.Old technology.Rough ride & noisy.

But hella fun toy!!! And for older guys like us near death ....that is what it's all about no?

I'm not sure what you mean, but either I have smaller knees, or the configuration is different in Canada.....

The shifter for the CRV is located in the middle of the dash and sticks down a bit. That's where it hits my right knee. Most shifters are on the center console or on the steering wheel. On the CRV it's sort of hangs down from the dash board.

I tried to buy a new Jeep Wrangler today to tow behind my motor home. Why does no one recommend these?

Bad gas mileage.Old technology.Rough ride & noisy.

But hella fun toy!!! And for older guys like us near death ....that is what it's all about no?

Yup, all of the above and bad resale. But you're the only one who has to like it so go for it. As you said we are not getting any younger.

A bit of a side journey here, but what about the long warranties from cos like Kia? We're kinda thinking about the Sorento, 10Yr, 100,000 mile warr.

I've heard a bit that they get very particular about proving all service was done - Any solid info on whether they try to wiggle out of warranty claims?

OTOH, our two most recent vehicles reached 10/100,000 with less than $1,000 non-warranty, non-routine-maintenance costs combined. We'll either like the vehicle/value or not, warr probably won't be a deal breaker either way, but might push us on/off the fence if we find ourselves teetering.

-ERD50

I think that many of the 10yr 100000 mile warranties are for PT only after about the first 5 years. Still not bad and if I bought a Kia I'd think of the extra coverage that would cover everything after the bumper to bumper expires and you go to PT only.
This would give you full coverage for the full 10 years. Only thing is make sure you only buy the manufacturers extra coverage. Don't be tricked into the ins company warranties that most dealers sell. Most likely they won't be around by the time you need them. Also ins companies most always figure out a way out of covering anything.

You have a much better shot of getting a repair covered by the manufacturer as they usually care if you're happy with their product. They have a vested interest in keeping you happy as someday you'll need another car. The ins company really doesn't care if you're happy as long as they have your money.

My last car was a Toyota Solara and I loved it but I'm still slightly wary of Toyota .

You should have ZERO qualms about buying another Toyota if that is what you would like to do. I assume you are leery because of the acceleration non-sense which was exactly that: non-sense.

If you feel like making a change because you want to try something new that is a different story. But leery... no, buy a Toyota.

Disclosure: I don't own a Toyota, nor their stock. Just a car guy givings his opinion, which Toyota makes a great, reliable product at a reasonable price.

So many car lovers here! If you have the means, how many would have a few dozen cars?

And then, you would need a place to store them, right? How about a house with a 35-car garage like this?

$35 million home has room for 35 cars

So many car lovers here! If you have the means, how many would have a few dozen cars?

And then, you would need a place to store them, right? How about a house with a 35-car garage like this?

$35 million home has room for 35 cars

One car is plenty for me, thanks! An attached garage would be nice too.

Somehow that $35 million home doesn't seem consistent with our minimalism thread. :D

Why not find a vehicle YOU LIKE and buy it?

Exactly!!! 35 cars would mean you'd have to take care of 35 regular oil changes, not to mention 35 insurance policies. As for me, I love my new Toyota Venza. What a dream it is to drive.

Say hello to newest member of my family!!

0901_03_z+2010_jeep_wrangler_unlimited_eV+side_view.jpg

Now I just need to find some big rocks to drive over.

Moemg:

I would test the Mazda 2.3 5 door (wagon) and the Sonata..........

At least 4. Our Pilot is great for an every day car. However, we need a pick up truck several times a year. Hey this is Texas, you got to have a pickumuptruck! But then a sports car just for the fun of it, and a luxury car to travel in!

Why not find a vehicle YOU LIKE and buy it?
Eh, what if one finds more than one car that he/she likes? It's just like some people who have a harem because they find more than one lady lovely.

35 cars would mean you'd have to take care of 35 regular oil changes, not to mention 35 insurance policies. As for me, I love my new Toyota Venza. What a dream it is to drive.
Well, I ask if you would do it if you have the means.

OK, it was just a rhetorical question as I am not a car lover, as I stated earlier.

Cars are just tools to me. Still, we now have 3 [-]tools[/-] cars. An old minivan we bought to haul the kids, and they are now young adults. It still runs well and I hate to get rid of it. A newer SUV I use to pull a utility trailer to move "stuff" between the houses. These two cars I bought new to be sure that they are maintained properly from start.

I recently bought a used car to tow as a toad behind the RV, because neither of the two existing cars can be flat-towed. So, three cars for me, and I would hasten to add that it was not really by choice. One of these days, the minivan might die, and we are back down to 2.

Still, there has got to be somebody here who would want a 35-car collection. Come on, speak up. Don't be shy!

Exactly!!! 35 cars would mean you'd have to take care of 35 regular oil changes, not to mention 35 insurance policies. As for me, I love my new Toyota Venza. What a dream it is to drive.

Well, I ask if you would do it if you have the means.

Even if I could afford 100 cars, I would not want 35 cars because it would be such a giant hassle. You'd have to supervise a huge staff to keep all these cars washed, their oil and filters changed, and more, plus they would need to "exercise" them enough that the batteries didn't go flat. No thanks! I am enjoying my retirement too much to want to supervise an army... :)

I would think you could get one insurance policy to cover 35 cars -but you're right - 35 cars would require 35 oil changes. But if somebody has the means and desire to buy and maintain 35 cars, I say go for it. Good thing I can get by with 3 or 4.

DW hardly ever drives her car in JP, so we are going to get rid of it...she went to use it yesterday for the first time in 3 months, and you guessed it, the battery was flat as a fiddle. I went and bought a set of booster cables and got it going for her. When we sell it, we'll be down to 3...1 in JP and 2 in the states. Gotta have the pickup there, and a car to get us and our luggage back and forth from the airport. It's too bad we have to get rid of her car in JP because it is a great little car (Honda Stream...not sold in the US, small minivan that looks like the older model Odyssey, just smaller) but it costs too much to keep it if we are only going to use it 3-4 times a year (about how much we have used it since DD went to college). If they ever start selling them in the US, that may be what we get to replace her US car (2005 Odyssey, which we also love, but won't need the size since the kids are on their own).

...and no, we won't be buying a Rambler...:LOL:

R

Moemg:

I would test the Mazda 2.3 5 door (wagon) and the Sonata..........

Thanks , I did test drive the Sonata and it's high on the list . I am just not sure I want another sedan . As everybody can see this decision is driving me nuts because their is not any car I'm in love with . I like several but do not love any of them . So far it's been an interesting experience but like Rich was and W2R is I'm caught in indecisiveness . Which is fueled by the fact that my eleven year old car is still running great . I'm sure one day I'll just pull the trigger and buy a new one . The one thing I have learned is if you are looking at higher priced cars definitely buy low miles used the discount in incredible . Where as the discount for more economical cars is not really worth buying used . I also learned to research and do more research so you know the bottom line before you walk into the dealership and the last thing I learned is never mention you are paying cash until all the numbers are down . Also take someone with you to divert the salesman so you can really look the car over .

Back
Top Bottom