Join Early Retirement Today

Which car ?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Which car ?

My car is 11 years old and just passed the 100,000 mile mark so I am seriously considering a new car . My last car was a Toyota Solara and I loved it but I'm still slightly wary of Toyota . I 'm looking for a small SUV or sedan ( Think Camry or the Hyundai Sonata ) . What would my fellow forum members buy and why ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moemg, I have a Chevy Malibu that I've been real pleased with. It's a 2006, 6 cylinder, lots of power, comfortable, and on a recent trip from Colorado to Washington state and back I averaged 34 MPG. And it has excellent crash ratings.

Coach
Old 08-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I bought a 2010 Camry about 7 months ago (right before Toyotas became "death traps", you know). I love it. Not a single problem with it. I would buy it again in a heart beat. MIL has a Nissan Altima and it looks like a very reliable car.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #4

I just bought the new small Hyundai SUV, which is called iX35 in Europe and some combination of "iX35", "iX" and/or "Tucson" in other markets. I'm very pleased with it. The build quality is OK, almost up to Toyota or Honda, way better than you'd expect from Hyundai and streets ahead of US cars, and the design is European (they stole a guy from BMW; it looks a bit like the X1 from the back, I think).

I got the 2.0 litre diesel model with 4WD, which has 184bhp and almost 300lb-ft of torque. To my surprise, they have made an automatic transmission which can handle that. The diesel engine and transmission are all new. I'm not sure if that's true for the equivalent components of the gasoline-powered models which you will see in the US.

2,000 miles so far in 6 weeks and I'm very happy. The equipment levels can't be beaten for the price, and it has a 5-year bumper-to-bumper factory warranty.

BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
What would my fellow forum members buy and why ?
Just for the fun of it:

My car is a 1988 Xj6, with 212000 + miles. It is a daily driver, though being retired it is not "mission critical". I am casually looking for a 1994 to 1997 xj6. Or XJR which is the supercharged beast of the same years. The XJR and xj6 are versions of Jaguar.

Smoooooth ride, great handling, IMHO good looking.

Can't recommend them to you, unless you like doing your own repairs and service.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #6

We have had three Honda's, two Accords and a Pilot. I drove the first two 100,000 miles each, and never had any major problem. The pilot has 60,000 and no problem there. There are several cars out there that are more appealing to me, however, if I bought one and it did not live up to what Honda has been I would be kicking myself. We are a one car family, and that car has to be reliable.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Just for the fun of it:

My car is a 1988 Xj6, with 212000 + miles. It is a daily driver, though being retired it is not "mission critical". I am casually looking for a 1994 to 1997 xj6. Or XJR which is the supercharged beast of the same years. The XJR and xj6 are versions of Jaguar.

Smoooooth ride, great handling, IMHO good looking.

Can't recommend them to you, unless you like doing your own repairs and service.

Thanks but no thanks my SO drove a Jag when it was not in the repair shop .
Old 08-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm in a somewhat similar place and am looking at several Hondas:the Accord again the Crosstour, and the Honda CRV. I'm also checking out the Volvo XC60 (expensive, but if you drive a lot, want safety and luxury, and are willing to throw LBYM to the winds.....). I am going to test drive one of these this weekend and will share my impressions.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

So far all good suggestions I am starting on the quest this weekend . I do love Toyota but I'm still leery . My Mom had a Malibu that she sold a few years ago to my cousin and it is still going strong . I like the Hyundai designs but are they reliable . I also like the Honda CRV . It's a top contender and the Honda place seems ripe to deal. I looked at some one year old cars but unless they are high priced models the savings are minimal.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

I have a 1997 Camry, 117k miles and 2003 Honda CRV, 24k miles. I've been doing self maintence, batteries, brakes, fluids, tuneups. Never had any issues with either. I would buy both again. Got the CRV for reliability, safety(5 star crash ratings) and that you could sit a 6ft person in rear seat (and they adjust). All improvements have been very consumer oriented changes, so it's only gotten better from all the reviews I've read on them. I also read an article about 1 month ago that it's cheaper to buy a new CRV than a used one right now (probably slightly used one)
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
slightly wary of Toyota
Why are you wary of Toyota. I don't think all of the stuff in the media is to be believed. Yesterday this came out:

NHTSA Findings Continue To Point To DRIVER ERROR, Again. Is Toyota Nearly In The Clear? - AutoSpies Auto News
Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I see nothing wrong with either car but of the two would probably buy the sonata. I have friends with a three year old sonata and they have had no problems. I bought a 2006 Buick Allure myself as I wanted the 3800 engine and I was coming off a bad experience with a hyundai accent. . I now have 75,000 miles on the Buick and look forward to 200,000. I have had to do normal maintenance only. I will buy a SUV or crossover next time I think.
I also have a friend with a RAV that is excellent.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #13

Cars are such a personal thing. Just cause' someone likes their car doesn't mean that you should like it and vice versa.

Most cars these days are pretty doggone reliable.

So I say buy whatever floats your boat and fits your budget.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Why are you wary of Toyota. I don't think all of the stuff in the media is to be believed. Yesterday this came out:

NHTSA Findings Continue To Point To DRIVER ERROR, Again. Is Toyota Nearly In The Clear? - AutoSpies Auto News

Maybe the bad press is overkill but I think they have been lax in their quality control. My deepest fear would be to lose my brakes as I'm driving on The Sunshine Skyway bridge .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline%20Bridge.jpg (96.5 KB, 4 views)
Don'tcha Just Hate it When the Brakes Fail ?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #15

Don'tcha Just Hate it When the Brakes Fail ?

Quote:
Why are you wary of Toyota.

Is this car a Toyota ?

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Subaru Forester. Appeals to my frugal nature and is great to load up with supplies for my volunteer activities at the animal shelter. You wouldn't believe what I can pack in that thing :-)
Old 08-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I bought a 2010 Camry about 7 months ago (right before Toyotas became "death traps", you know). I love it. Not a single problem with it. I would buy it again in a heart beat. MIL has a Nissan Altima and it looks like a very reliable car.
Me too, I love my new Toyota Venza! It has been such a blast to drive for the past 7 months, and like you, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It does everything but butter my toast in the morning, and I love the luxury and zippy response.

It might possibly be a little big for Moemg's preferences, although I don't know. I like it and it will be great for hurricane evacuations, should there be any in my future.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #18

I think you should look at the Honda CRV. I wanted to get one myself but I'm just too big for it a 6'4" and 275lbs. My leg hits the shifter like it does in most cars.

The other day I was driving and saw a Camry on a used car lot so I thought I'd see if I fit in it. To my surprise I was very comfortable in it. I inquired about the car and it turns out it only had 100 miles on it and it was damaged at a new car dealers lot. In Florida if a car has more than $500 in body damage it can't be sold as a new car. The dealer brought the car to the auction and sold the car. This used car dealer bought the car and put it on his lot for sale. I really liked the car and thought the body work would cost me about $600. It was damaged on the pass side quarter panel.

Before I bought the car I checked around with Toyota dealers for a price on the same car. Turns out that in Florida all Toyota's must pass though a private individual who has imported the cars for Toyota for many years and still has the deal. They put a bunch of crap on the car like paint sealant, fabric sealant, vin etch, and other stuff. They call it TOYOGUARD. Total cost is about $50.00 and every dealer in Florida charges $1999 for it. Then they add a $799 dealer fee for no apparent reason except profit. So you spend $2800 in order to be able to negotiate a price on a Toyota. Bottom line is I went back and bought the 2010 Toyota Camry with the damage and I have the car at the body shop as I write this. Cost $700 which brings my total for the car to $19300. Invoice on the car is $22700 + I would have to pay profit and the $2800 so all in all I think I got a great deal on a new car with 100 miles on it.

I put my 1998 Taurus on Craigs list and sold it to the 1st person to look at it for $3650. I paid 4K for it 7 years ago. $350 loss for 7 years of driving, now that's thrifty.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
So far all good suggestions I am starting on the quest this weekend . I do love Toyota but I'm still leery . My Mom had a Malibu that she sold a few years ago to my cousin and it is still going strong . I like the Hyundai designs but are they reliable . I also like the Honda CRV . It's a top contender and the Honda place seems ripe to deal. I looked at some one year old cars but unless they are high priced models the savings are minimal.
Hyundai is as reliable as Honda and Toyota these days. They build a quality car and have a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I think my next ride will be the new Sonata, love the body style.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Hyundai is as reliable as Honda and Toyota these days. They build a quality car and have a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I think my next ride will be the new Sonata, love the body style.........

I have to agree with you . I love the new Sonata body style .