Which car ?

All depends on the money you have to spend and on what you generally need a car for and what kind of conditions you drive in.

For general all about usability, I would buy a 4 seater Jeep Wrangler with a toe-hook and a roof rack and the 2.5 liter engine. But I live in snow country. For long distance traveling without a trailer behind, I would buy a Honda hybrid. The combination of both those cars with the addition of a trailer for carrying things and a small pop-up travel trailer, would solve all my transportation needs.

Yikes...them are boulders...not rocks!! And I think in these cases driver skill (luck) might be more important than type of 4x4.

Heres a typical Wrangler addict
These people are nuts. I am not a car lover, but I don't abuse mine either. And I also don't risk my neck.

Anyway, having 35 cars is a bit excessive, but most people like to have 2 like myself. A big one, and a small one. The big one can be an SUV or a pickup. The little one can be a sporty car or something small to run around to get groceries. Even a frugal guy like T-Al still has two: an Echo and a pickup.

PS. Forgot to add that the big one can be an RV, and the other one can be a not-as-big car like the Wrangler. ;)

These people are nuts.

Not really nuts - just recreationally adventurous. You have to to view it as a sport. Picking a daily driver is a totally different deal.

I just bought a new (used) car. First, I made a list of features the vehicle HAD to have. That substantially reduced the pool of possible models. Then I started shopping. In the end I chose the one that resonated with me. It didn't have the best repair record and wasn't the cheapest but since I have to sit in it for 10 years I went for the one that made me happy when I sat in it. When I was 30, my choices were driven entirely by economics (cost, reliability, etc) but now, while those things do figure into my car choice - they are balanced by a desire for pleasure. The hours I spent in a vehicle should be good ones.

My list of must haves:
Towing capacity (5000 lbs)
Good in snow
Good in scalding heat
Cargo room to carry band equipment
Adjustable wheel including tilt AND telescope
Good accident safety stats
Comfortable for long trips (good seats)
Small enough to park in big city reasonably

What I test drove:

Toyota 4 runner, FJ cruiser
Honda Pilot, Ridgeline
Jeep Commander
Nissan Pathfinder
Chevy Tahoe
Buick enclave
VW Touareg
Mercedes GL

What I bought:
VW Touareg (2008 w/19 K miles)

Thanks , I did test drive the Sonata and it's high on the list . I am just not sure I want another sedan .

You mentioned the Accord Coupe earlier, I think - - have you had a chance to try that one yet? Also the Crosstour might be attractive.

It sounds like another coupe might be more appealing than a four door sedan or SUV, maybe.

Too bad Toyota isn't making the Solara any more, but maybe a (lightly) used Solara that is just a couple of years old or so? The Solara was such a great car. Even though they keep their value so well, if that is really the car you want then it might be worth it to you.

For me, it took a lot of online research over a year or two but luckily I was able to narrow it down to the Venza, with the Rav4 or CRV as alternate choices, by the time I went to the dealers. My main concern was the size of the Venza. The test drive showed me that the Venza drives just like the Solara and didn't seem too big for me at all. So, I was done in 2 hours and didn't have to go through the ordeal you have been going through. I was pretty lucky.

Catching back up on this thread. Someone mentioned the flat floor on the CRV, no middle column. If it's like the 97 I had, I hated that! If something fell on the floor on the passenger side, like a water bottle, it could easily roll to the drivers side and interfere with the pedals. Very dangerous!

I like the looks of the Accord Crosstour but haven't really checked them out closely. I've heard the back glass is a distraction to see out of, and a lot of people don't like how the wheel wells really cut into the cargo storage. It's got a lot less capacity than most crossovers that size so I'm not sure if the utility is as good as it would seem to replace my SUV.

If I had the means I would probably have a dozen cars. I have an 04 Pilot that I love (except I agree with those who say that Honda brakes don't hold up) and a 97 Miata for fun driving, plus it gets a lot better MPG. When my daughter couldn't take her Mitsu Gallant to college the first year I enjoyed having a sedan in worse weather than I wanted to take the Miata out in, but when I didn't need the big SUV. I'd love to have a luxury sedan for a weekend drive. I'd love to have a Mustang convertible. The new Camaro looks really sharp too. My ideal would probably be to have a nice and/or sporty convertible with a retractable hard top and AWD. Keep my Pilot for bad weather and hauling stuff.

All the posts make for great reading and the details of ownership, recommendations on future purchases and all around comments are very valuable. Don't think your comments ever go to waste. I have them filed and will dig them out whan I go to purchase or lease in a few months. Since I'm only looking for a SUV, I'll certainly be looking at the Honda CRV. I've had that one on my list but haven't gotten to the test drive. Also, some 2011 models are out there already but not many. Thanks for all the information.

Maybe it's a "men vs women" thing, but I don't think I will ever want more than one car (much less a dozen or 35). :)

If I had the means i'd like:

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Porsche 911 Turbo
Mercedes SL65 AMG

That would give me a fast luxurious SUV to travel and for daily use. The 911 Turbo would be the true sports car. The mercedes is ultimate luxury and performance in one and it also has a retractable hard-top roof. 3 cars would be plenty for me. I may increase it to close to 10 but definitly not 35.

I guess I am in the absolute minority who did not spend that much time shopping for a car. But then, it could be because I was still working and did not have much free time. Recently, I spent a heck of a lot of time shopping for my used RV and the used car for a toad, in fact a lot more than I spent looking for my 2nd home. And I am still working part-time.

I can see that when I fully retire, I may just turn car shopping into a month or year long process. It's inexpensive entertainment, I have to agree.

I guess I am in the absolute minority who did not spend that much time shopping for a car.

When I bought my current vehicle I spent 1 hour researching it online then went to the dealer and took it for a test drive and went home with it the same day.

I guess I am in the absolute minority who did not spend that much time shopping for a car. But then, it could be because I was still working and did not have much free time. Recently, I spent a heck of a lot of time shopping for my used RV and the used car for a toad, in fact a lot more than I spent looking for my 2nd home. And I am still working part-time.

I can see that when I fully retire, I may just turn car shopping into a month or year long process. It's inexpensive entertainment, I have to agree.

I'm sure the sales people will be thrilled.:whistle:

I'm sure the sales people will be thrilled.:whistle:
Well, Moe has done some of that already. :LOL:

Actually, the chance of me carrying out that threat is slim. I asked myself if I would want a dozen cars if I were a centimillionaire, and the answer was no. Would I want to not own them, but just to test drive them? The answer is still no. I am simply not interested.

So, there! Car salesmen have nothing to fear from me, as I do not and will not frequent their showroom. But, I am sure if there are any here on this forum, they have already taken a peek at my profile to see if there's my photo to commit to their memory. :LOL:

PS. My recent claimed "extensive shopping" for the RV and the toad was mainly done on-line, by surfing the Web looking for the right deal to surface; I already knew what I wanted, and was only waiting for the right vehicle with the right mileage and a price that I couldn't refuse. I would buy from either dealerships or private parties, but prefer the latter as there are no sales taxes for private sales in our state. In the end, I did end up buying from private parties.

Very little car salesman's time was wasted, I assure you! :LOL:

Maybe it's a "men vs women" thing, but I don't think I will ever want more than one car (much less a dozen or 35). :)
Probably; I have a Cadillac SRX to satisfy my "needs"; I also have a Mustang GT convertible to satisfy my "wants"....

One is love; the other is sex (sort of like Engelbert Humperdinck vs. Tom Jones).

I'll let you figure out which is which :whistle: ...

Want? Need? I'm thinking Bob Dylan here.

I can't imagine wanting to own more than one car per person, but then I don't like cars that much. Now bicycles....
I saw a friend at a bike swap, and as I sheepishly tried to explain why I was looking for another bicycle, she put it very clearly.
The number of bicycles you need is n+1, where n=the number of bicycles you have.

I can't imagine wanting to own more than one car per person, but then I don't like cars that much.
Ah, now that's another advantage of a couple. We share, hence can have different cars. :cool:

Say hello to newest member of my family!!

0901_03_z+2010_jeep_wrangler_unlimited_eV+side_view.jpg

Now I just need to find some big rocks to drive over.

Yeah that's what I want. I have 2 door wrangler. Nothing stops it.

For the others: ITS A JEEP THING. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND

You mentioned the Accord Coupe earlier, I think - - have you had a chance to try that one yet? Also the Crosstour might be attractive.

It sounds like another coupe might be more appealing than a four door sedan or SUV, maybe.

Too bad Toyota isn't making the Solara any more, but maybe a (lightly) used Solara that is just a couple of years old or so? The Solara was such a great car. Even though they keep their value so well, if that is really the car you want then it might be worth it to you.

For me, it took a lot of online research over a year or two but luckily I was able to narrow it down to the Venza, with the Rav4 or CRV as alternate choices, by the time I went to the dealers. My main concern was the size of the Venza. The test drive showed me that the Venza drives just like the Solara and didn't seem too big for me at all. So, I was done in 2 hours and didn't have to go through the ordeal you have been going through. I was pretty lucky.

Thanks , But unfortunately I am as blocked on this car purchase as you are on the Missouri move . I 'm sure one day I will just do it but for now I'm indecisive and luckily the Camry & the Durango are running great . :greetings10:

Maybe I need to think outside the box and buy two cars ??

Attachments

• 370zr_10_l_cb_k23.png
    370zr_10_l_cb_k23.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 8
  • rge_10_l_s_qx1.png
    rge_10_l_s_qx1.png
    28 KB · Views: 4
Go for it Moe; and if you decide on just one get the first vehicle. You would look FABULOUS driving that car!

:cool: .......:clap:

So, after test driving and choosing your car, you are now ready to buy.

But, but, but what color do you want? Isn't that one of the most important options, being the principal attribute that affects the look of the car, your object of desire and devoted love? Being practical, I usually stay with a light color, due to the summer heat and the harsh sun in the SouthWest. And that means white or silver.

And I found out that I am not alone. According to a recent released industry report (BusinessWeek Aug 16), the #1 color of new cars in North America last year was white at 17.8%. Black was #2 at 17%, followed by silver at 16.7%. The report added that silver is #1 color globally.

A bright color like red is practical too, in terms of safety. It's easier for other drivers to see than silver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom