Which Countries Are Most Civil Online?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As absolutely horrific as some US websites are WRT civility/courtesy (not ER.org!), I for one am mildly surprised.

Attachments

• IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 60
This measure was new to me so I looked it up.
It’s Safer Internet Day 2017, and Microsoft is challenging people around the world to embrace “digital civility” and to treat each other with respect and dignity online. It may sound simple, but new Microsoft research shows people are concerned about the tone of online interactions and worry that risks will increase in the future.

The research prompted the creation of our Digital Civility Index, which we’re also announcing today – a new measure of people’s safety online and exposure to risks.
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-...etic-online/#sm.0000m2zf0rvkccuduhx1e2t4bzyky

I was surprized that the UK is the most civil. When I used to travel overseas, I would sometimes find the BBC stations that covered debates going on in their House of Commons(?). I was amazed at how the two sides sat on opposite sides of an aisle and attacked each other, other with a bunch of name calling. At the time, I was glad the US seemed to have a little better cross party relations ..... or at least more civil discussions. Guess that time has passed.

Every now and again I read comments posted after articles on websites. I haven't figured out why people waste their time throwing knives at each other the way they do. Don't see any constructive purpose. Oh well, guess I'm getting old.

I was amazed at how the two sides sat on opposite sides of an aisle and attacked each other, other with a bunch of name calling.
Creative insults and name calling is a time-honored tradition in Britain's Parliament. When American politicians insult each other, we see it as further evidence that standards are breaking down. Conversely, in Britain, similar behavior between politicians is seen as upholding tradition, probably because they see it as part and parcel of the great tradition of debating that exists in the world of British public schools and Oxbridge.

I do think that the British do insults far better than we do in the US. A Labor MP once said of Margaret Thatcher's aggressive actions that she was acting "with the sensitivity of a sex-starved boa-constrictor." Another Labor MP, Tom Watson, shouted to (Conservative) Michael Gove, "You're a miserable pipsqueak of a man."

Trading insults is seen as part of the game in Parliament, and there is often an air of enjoyment that accompanies the proceedings. American politicians are far less evolved with their demeaning comments, and take them far more seriously. How dull!

I wonder why east Asian countries like Japan and South Korea weren't included in the survey. I would guess they'd have even better online civility scores than the UK... but would be interesting to see the actual numbers.

This is why many US news/newspaper sites have shut down their comment sections; they have just become cesspools.

I wonder why east Asian countries like Japan and South Korea weren't included in the survey. I would guess they'd have even better online civility scores than the UK... but would be interesting to see the actual numbers.

There are lots of countries of interest that have not been included. However, to have meaningful data from any country requires a significant sample size there. The number of countries surveyed was probably chosen based on available funding.

Politicians insulting each other? Boring.

Fistfight, now that's more exciting. Action speaks louder than words. See a chokehold at 0:50 in the following video.

Somebody mentioned Asian countries earlier. The following video is about their parliaments, not the online forums, but there's a lot of exciting action there.

See: Taiwan at 4:00, and South Korea at 7:00. Woman politicians too. :whistle:

When words do not persuade, it's time to put up your dukes. :dance:

Last edited:
This is why many US news/newspaper sites have shut down their comment sections; they have just become cesspools.

That's one of the reasons. Another reason is that some media/news sites like to censor opposing viewpoints.

Creative insults and name calling is a time-honored tradition in Britain's Parliament. When American politicians insult each other, we see it as further evidence that standards are breaking down. Conversely, in Britain, similar behavior between politicians is seen as upholding tradition, probably because they see it as part and parcel of the great tradition of debating that exists in the world of British public schools and Oxbridge.

I do think that the British do insults far better than we do in the US. A Labor MP once said of Margaret Thatcher's aggressive actions that she was acting "with the sensitivity of a sex-starved boa-constrictor." Another Labor MP, Tom Watson, shouted to (Conservative) Michael Gove, "You're a miserable pipsqueak of a man."

Trading insults is seen as part of the game in Parliament, and there is often an air of enjoyment that accompanies the proceedings. American politicians are far less evolved with their demeaning comments, and take them far more seriously. How dull!

+1
The British take the gold medal for trading brilliant insults. Our Americans have never developed the skill.

I worked with a couple of transplants, good times. One my first line manager, I'd sometimes send sensitive client communications to him for review. He'd always send it back with my zeds changed to "s"es.

You aren't kidding! Between the comments and the barrage of ads, getting news from an online source is, well...it sucks. I have started a digital subscription of my local paper. It has minimal ads (it loads looking like the actual "print" paper and you click on the story you want to read so the only ads you see are on the picture of the print paper, none in the articles.) and tells me what I need to know.

And civility online? The only place I see it is here on ER.org. Almost every other website that allows user comments/participation is nothing but a breeding ground for trolls and it's overwhelming. Besides using the internet for "house business and management" (bills/banks/utils/etc), I have found myself using it less and less for other activities. ER.org is about the only forum I participate in nowadays.

That's one of the reasons. Another reason is that some media/news sites like to censor opposing viewpoints.
Yup I think that is the crux. Nothing worse than reading a news piece and then seeing 100s of comment refuting it. I am tempted to ignore the piece.

Just trying to make you more civilised? Must have thought you were worth the effort?

He was a heck of a great man. Lotta fun to be around even at 4:00AM.

He was particularly fond of telling folks about the first time we met. My first time in the UK, with my then manager in a hotel bar after both of us having a few pints, discussing our differing second amendment views.

He'd always send it back with my zeds changed to "s"es.

Good thing you weren't a zoologist, (soologist?), or people would be asking "What the *** is a Sebra?"

Back
Top Bottom