Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What was the high decade for car culture?
The 1950s 9 8.18%
The 1960s 80 72.73%
The 1970s 11 10.00%
The 1980s 0 0%
The 1990s 2 1.82%
The Current Millenium 8 7.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Which Decade Was the High Point for Car Culture
Old 02-02-2022, 09:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Which Decade Was the High Point for Car Culture

Reading the high-speed rail thread made me ponder whether Car Culture was over, and if so, when its apex was. I *think* this answer is easy - I think it was the 1950s, as my older sister maintained. But I might be wrong - there were certainly more songs about cars in the 1960s, and advertising took a bigger role in trying to get us to identify with our cars even later on. And maybe there are other considerations - because of longer commutes we probably spend more time in cars in this century. And when did AC really kick in?

So what do you think was the high decade for car culture in the US - the culture that defined a car as central and critical to our very identities to the point that we'd spend more in money and time on it than was ever really necessary? (In the US, because a large part of the world still is reaching for a vehicle.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2022, 09:48 AM   #2

I think a lot of it depends on when you grew up.

I'm partial to the muscle cars of the late 60's early 70's.

By the time I could afford a car it was well into the gas shortage and my first car had a small engine that couldn't climb a hill.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #3

I say 60s because by then the interstate system was mostly built and completed. Cars had more improvements in technology and reliability. Although it started in late 50s, car styling in early 60s still had the jet age theme as a strong influence. Remember the whole muscle car era in the mid to late 60s where a car became more than just an appliance to get from point A to point B.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
Administrator

So many fantastic cars in the 1960's - Jaguar E-Type, Austin Healey 3000, MG-A, Triumph TR4, Corvette Stingray, Pontiac GTO, Dodge Charger, Plymouth Barracuda, Camaro SS. The 1970's, especially after the Clean Air Act of 1970 and then the Oil Crisis of 1973 neutered the muscle cars, was a great letdown. And, in my opinion, it has been pretty dull ever since. Perhaps the worst of all was the 1980s; the Chrysler K-car was a crime against humanity.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Really depends on how you define it. Late 1960's and very early 1970's were the horsepower wars. 1973 started the power decline.
Masquernom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:04 AM   #6

When I think of car culture I think of family vacations, drive in movies, drive in restaurants with car hop window service, making out in the back seat, teenagers souping up cars. It's the 1960's, no contest.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1960's....start of the muscle car era, etc. More modern styling, family oriented, TV advertising came into being in a big way.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #8

I think cars started to lose their luster as they were subject to more regulations starting in the 70's.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 01:41 PM   #9

'60's no doubt. By '75 it was over. So was Detroit.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:52 PM   #10

As others said a lot depend on your age. I turned 16 in 1966 so that was right in the middle of the "car culture climb" for lack of a better term. A muscle car was beyond my budget but a 1971 650cc Yamaha motorcycle, a large bike at the time, was not.

On a long straight stretch of MD Rt 340 west of Frederick, MD I found out that it would go 120 mph. Scared the daylights out of me and I never did it again.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

60's. No other decade comes close.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:27 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Even though today’ cars have much better engineering and are much more reliable, they just do not have the cache of the cars from the sixties. I can remember as a grade schooler, walking with my buddies up town to the car lots to see the latest muscle cars they got in. Cars like the GTO Judge, Mustang Mach I, Corvette, Road Runner, Camaro, Chevelle Malibu, etc.. We would just drool over them. Then you had Doris Day singing “See the U.S.A. In your Chevrolet”. A jingle that is one for the history books. All great!
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:28 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quite funny, actually. I'll bet that the 60s was roughly the time that the average ER forum member was a teen-ager and young adult. I think it is quite common that a collector car tends to be of the same vintage as the owner's high school years.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Even though today’ cars have much better engineering and are much more reliable, they just do not have the cache of the cars from the sixties.....
Good point. I drove a 69 corvette in '72. Raw power and handling. I bought a new corvette in 2001 - refined yet didn't have the cache of the late 60's vettes.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
So many fantastic cars in the 1960's - Jaguar E-Type, Austin Healey 3000, MG-A, Triumph TR4, Corvette Stingray, Pontiac GTO, Dodge Charger, Plymouth Barracuda, Camaro SS. The 1970's, especially after the Clean Air Act of 1970 and then the Oil Crisis of 1973 neutered the muscle cars, was a great letdown. And, in my opinion, it has been pretty dull ever since. Perhaps the worst of all was the 1980s; the Chrysler K-car was a crime against humanity.

K cars like this Plymouth Reliant? I never owned one, but just now found out that they sold well, and were average in reliability.

Hey, perhaps it's time to see them again, but this time in an electrified version. Cheap transportation for the masses is what we need.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The 70's were horrible for "tack it on pollution" bandaids.

They finally got it figured out with fuel injection & oxygen sensors. And now we have production DOHC turbo and super charged engines that make the "muscle cars" of the 60's lame by comparison. Not only make more power from same displacement, but cleaner and more efficient too.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
They finally got it figured out with fuel injection & oxygen sensors. And now we have production DOHC turbo and super charged engines that make the "muscle cars" of the 60's lame by comparison. Not only make more power from same displacement, but cleaner and more efficient too.
This is so true. My 1970 'Cuda with modified 340 engine was plenty fast, but a stock 2021 Dodge Challenger with the hemi engine would blow it's doors off, while steering one-handed, sitting in air conditioned comfort with the cooled, ventilated seats running, and USB drive blasting tunes through 9 speakers and subwoofer.

Cuda-Rear-Quarter_800-lores.jpg

Old 02-03-2022, 09:41 AM   #18
gone traveling

While I am fond of the sixties with all the muscle cars, with my all time favorite car that I owned being a 67 SS396 Motion Performance Chevelle, there is no comparison with the performance and reliability of our present day cars, so if I am honest with myself, it would have to be today's cars, although I still appreciate seeing the old ones at car meets for all the good memories that brings back.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how to answer as I wouldn't want to own any car from back then even if I could afford to. But since my favorites are all from the 60's I guess that would have to be my answer.
  • 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
  • 1963-67 AC Cobra
  • 1963-67 Corvette C2 Sting Ray
  • 1963-71 Mercedes 230/280 SL
  • 1965-68 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
  • 1965-69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce
  • 1968-71 BMW 3.0 CSi
  • All years Porsche 911

I owned a 1975 Corvette, it was a POS, so I won't vote 70's.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
While I am fond of the sixties with all the muscle cars, with my all time favorite car that I owned being a 67 SS396 Motion Performance Chevelle, there is no comparison with the performance and reliability of our present day cars, so if I am honest with myself, it would have to be today's cars, although I still appreciate seeing the old ones at car meets for all the good memories that brings back.
Agree with all of this, but the question was about "car culture" and which decade embodied it the most. Got to be the 60's.

Are there pop bands writing songs about cars nowadays like they were in the 60's? (Little Deuce Coupe, 409, Little Old Lady from Pasadena, GTO, Mustang Sally, Drive my Car, etc.)

Where are the drive-in movies nowadays? The drive-in restaurants? The interstate highway system was built in the 1950's and spawned the motor lodge inns.

Cars are like appliances nowadays. They all look basically the same, either the SUV look--Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Subaru Outback, various Jeeps, Chevy Equinox, Hyundai Santa Fe, etc. etc. or else the basic 4 door sedan--Nissan Altima, Honda Civic, Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata, etc. Does anybody make an (affordable) convertible in 2022?

Ask a 20-something or even a 30-something about cars and get ready for a blank stare.

Now consider that Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Plymouth, Rambler, AMC, all viable car companies in the 1960's are no longer here.