Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have settled into what might be South Beach or something like that. I am a protein/salad guy and eat few carbs. However I am on a secondary diet called “chips and chocolate”
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use diet supplements to enhance my health and well being. Merlot and Malbec taken by mouth on a regular basis.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Vegetarian
Cpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I eat what I kill/grow.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am aware of all the diets and kinda do a mental multivariate risk reward for all decisions.

Dairy is limited to condensed milk in coffee, because I like the taste. Cheese seems to be a constipatory no go zone. Oh, kefir is great for pill swallowing.

I find stevia to be totally ok substitute for sugar.

I do my best to limit oils to butter and olive.

I believe salt avoidance is BS, more important to increase potassium.

Daytime grazing is normally vegetarian cold plate food, egg salad, tabouleh, Tuscan Chickpea salad, hummus, seed butter on sprouted toast, mostly made from scratch to avoid food sensitivities to preservatives or bad oils. Even learned to make mayonnaise from scratch.

I just discovered Smoked trout on toast which is pescatarian daytime.

Dinner is a very small portion of chicken or beef with a lot of baked potatoes and veg, which could be considered to be quasi Asian.

Carrots and hummus for evening snack, oat milk on home made granola bedtime snack.

Eating out of the home is another paradigm.

Pysillium gets dashed on things like you would salt to maintain digestive velocity and inulin in coffee.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Meat
Old 07-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Meat

At 66 and 65 years our personal trainer has us trying to get 1 gram of protein for each lean pound of body mass. For me that is about 130g per day and for my wife about 105g per day. This helps prevent losing muscle as we age. Our trainer doesn’t want us to lose weight, just to convert fat to muscle. Eggs (particularly the whites) along with lots of *chicken, lean meats like *steak and 93%/7% burger are our staples. Fish (We love salmon) and shrimp. Navy beans and *ham. We make use of a lot of whey protein powder from Costco with a 48g 240 calorie shake in the morning and at least one 24g 120 calorie shake in the evening. We drink a lot of Amino energy drinks to keep us from getting sore. Drinking enough water is also challenging. We track everything we eat with Myfitness pal and we track our exercise with watches (Garmin vivoactive HR and Fitbit). We are pretty active so depending upon exercise we can probably eat 3000 calories a day without weight gain. So we are never hungry. We get a “cheat day” once a week where we can eat anything we want like ice cream.

*“If God didn’t want us to eat them, why did He make them out of meat?”
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Right now, Paleo would be the closest, but it's actually the Keto diet.

High in fats, proteins but with milk products allowed. Low in sugars and carbs.

Started 2 weeks ago when my clothes quit fitting and I saw a photo of myself at grandson's graduation and I thought I looked overweight. I'm 6' tall, weighed 206 when I started 2 weeks ago. I now weight 190. I eat as much as I want of the foods I can; any cheeses, meat, veggies but not root veggies, olive oil, coconut oil, etc.
More important is what you can't eat; grains and that includes corn, sugar or the larger fruits. Berries and such are o.k. as there's nowhere near the sugars in those as in say, an apple.

No calorie counting, eat as much as you like. My daily diet consists of;

coffee with real cream in the morning with a few blue berries and strawberries that have unsweetened heavy whipped cream in the morning. Eggs and bacon or sausage any style.

Anitpasti mid day consisting of cured and stuffed green olives (stuffed with cheeze, hot peppers, etc.), marinated mushrooms and artichoke hearts, cottage cheese, grape sized tomatoes, a couple different cheeses off the wheel and hard salami sliced thin.

Dinner I have beef, chicken, fish or pork, usually BBQ'd as I'm good at it. Also have a smoker. Green salad with oil/vinegar dressing, sauteed mushrooms in butter with a few onion slices in there too. Steamed veggie, usually broccoli or fresh green beans.

After maybe three or four days, my appetite really decreased on it's own. Now that my body wasn't craving sugars and carbs, I just wasn't as hungry as I used to be.

My goal is to get down to the low 170's, about 30 pounds of weight loss, then relax a very little on the starches. I plan to keep sugar cut out of my diet.

+1

Did this 2 years ago, gradually gave up as I returned to working and having no time, made worse by working nights. I had lost 30 lbs and gained most of it back. Started again on 6/4, and I’ve lost at least 10 lbs and feel really good. No sugar, no bread, virtually no legumes. A few berries, green veggies, etc. I make my own mayonnaise to avoid omega-6 oils, and my own low carb rolls. In return: no hunger, no cravings, no reflux, high alertness , great mood. I have a lot of weight to lose, but this diet allows me to enjoy the journey.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Full on carnivore I live on steak. sometimes fish some eggs, no dairy zero carbs eat all I want till full about 2 meals a day never hungry. Lost 60lbs lost my HTN (115/60) lost my diabetes (A1C 5.3) lost a lot of orthopedic aches and pains work out 6 hours per week 1 cup of coffee/day no booze. Been on it about 1 year very sustainable
Doc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

There ain't much cleaner eating than elk and jackrabbits I personally whacked combined with backyard quail eggs and veggies I grew.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

Pseudo vegan for almost 30 years. I avoid dairy as it basically was destroying my life until I figured out at age 30 that I was lactose intolerant. I tried raw food veganism at the same time and it worked. Fixed my sports injury issues at the time and I went back to playing basketball and even competed in Master's track in field until my mid 40's. but age is cruel and had to stop. Since then, I eat a little meat every week. Perhaps 3 or 4 servings. But it is kosher, lean and unprocessed. Absolutely no sausage, hot dogs or processed meat. I can't stand the stuff. Anyway, this diet, along with avoiding refined sugars and grains, has allowed me to keep my old sports injuries at a minimum from football, basketball and the decathlon during my youth. I can hike, play golf etc..
MultiEventer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
There ain't much cleaner eating than elk and jackrabbits I personally whacked combined with backyard quail eggs and veggies I grew.

That sounds pretty good to me. We eat a lot of venison (we try to get two deer every year), along with quite a few fish I catch myself each year. And I eat a lot of (chicken) eggs, but they come from the farmer down the road. His chickens get to roam around the yard and eat bugs, so the eggs should be pretty good. I also try to eat veggies from my garden as much as possible. We ate a LOT of asparagus earlier this spring, and now we're eating a huge salad of garden greens daily, while we wait for the other stuff to start producing.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:38 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Intermittent faster. Clean fast coffee/water only and then eat what i want during ,y window of 5-8 hours
TrophyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We started watching videos by a doctor who is the grandson of one of Pritikin's first patients, Frances Gregor, and are giving a plant based diet a try -

“Frances Greger…arrived in Santa Barbara at one of Pritikin’s early sessions in a wheelchair. Mrs. Greger had heart disease, angina, and claudication; her condition was so bad she could no longer walk without great pain in her chest and legs. Within three weeks, though, she was not only out of her wheelchair but was walking ten miles a day.”

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/heart-disease/
Yes, I know that story well. Of all my nutrition heroes, Nathan Pritikin is my man. Pritikin, not a doctor, spoke at a doctors' convention on heart disease. He prepared for 2 months getting all the studies in order and filed so he could produce them at a moments notice.

After the talk, he asked for any questions and no one raised their hand. He thought he was a total failure and told his wife they should pack up, leave and pass on his next speech. But there was another room where he was to go for others to meet him after the speech. He walked in the room, and immediately left. He asked and made sure he was given the right room number, it was overflowing with people. He realized that his talk was so different, the attendees didn't know how to frame questions. What a most brilliant man.

As a side note on Frances Greger--she had this debilitating heart disease in her 60s, she lived into her 90s.

One other side note: I know the LCHF has won the narrative. Most say carbohydrates are not good for you. Or at the least, carbs should be minimized. And there's even mention how people lose over 100 lbs on a Keto or low carb diet. The facts are, that after 5 years, 98% have gained all their weight back (and then some). Check out the NWCR National Weight Control Registry. People who've lost weight and kept it off for over 5 years and see what drives their success. Not one does it via Keto or low carb.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/201...itikinpdf3.pdf
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:29 AM   #74
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
One other side note: I know the LCHF has won the narrative. Most say carbohydrates are not good for you. Or at the least, carbs should be minimized. And there's even mention how people lose over 100 lbs on a Keto or low carb diet. The facts are, that after 5 years, 98% have gained all their weight back (and then some). Check out the NWCR National Weight Control Registry. People who've lost weight and kept it off for over 5 years and see what drives their success. Not one does it via Keto or low carb.

I know I could look at this and read through, but do you know in their summary why this happens? Also, Does ANYONE lose on a diet and keep it off?

I surely want to know, as the LCHF/Atkins for maintenance approach has worked for me so far (albeit only 13-14 months), and I don't want to go back to where I was and how I felt then. Is it just too hard for most to maintain the dietary restrictions? I actually have found it not so difficult to date.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
I know I could look at this and read through, but do you know in their summary why this happens? Also, Does ANYONE lose on a diet and keep it off?

I surely want to know, as the LCHF/Atkins for maintenance approach has worked for me so far (albeit only 13-14 months), and I don't want to go back to where I was and how I felt then. Is it just too hard for most to maintain the dietary restrictions? I actually have found it not so difficult to date.
We are admittedly just an "N of 2," but DH and I have used LCHF to lose 60 lbs (him) and 50 lbs (me). We find pleasure and creativity in our diet, cooking both LCHF long-time faves and trying new recipes.

We have each maintained our weight loss for more than three years.
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s sort of missing LCHF (low-carb high fat). Paleo doesn’t match because LCHF allows dairy. But LCHF avoids grains and limits starchy veggies and limited fruit in the strictest form. No processed foods. So I don’t see a match with the other options.
LCHF +1

Would have chosen Atkins as an alternative if it was an option. I also limit meat as an accomodation to vegan DW, hard to have a carnivore and vegan in the same kitchen.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post

Not even close to my experience, LCHF is not a diet it is a Way Of Eating (WOE) permanent adoption, at least for two years now for me and no intention of changing. I am not a common case, I am not overweight (BMI 21.6) was a runner much of my earlier life. But had radiation & chemo treatments that damaged my thyroid and seems to have impacted my blood sugar. Dr signed me up for treatments and training for this 'progressive' disease, I jumped on it with a LCHF WOE, dropped my blood sugar down to normal and am not looking back. DW can eat anything sugar wise. There are remarkable human differences in how we handle nutrition but Pritikin would actually kill me, or at least make me insulin dependent to eat carbs that I don't need. I am a 'science experiment of one' and I have found what works for me. Check out diabeticsdaily works for a lot of people but nothing works for everyone. About the only thing I am sure of is don't eat high fat AND high carb. And don't go on a diet, choose a sustainable WOE.
I am not even remotely inclined to 'cheat' recently spent two weeks in Italy and did not have pasta or pizza. Had a lot of other great satisfying food.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #78

Merging all the diet trends and logic suggests dialing up nutrient dense veg, fruit in whole form, and moderating but not eliminating high quality animal and low mercury fish protein.

Dial up olive oil, moderate butter, and avoid other common oils.

Wheat of all forms, bread and pasta and cereal, rice and potatoes, minimized as much as possible except to compliment nutrient dense foods.

Treat processed foods and hydrogenation as toxic.

Minimize overall calories and occasionally skip a meal as fast.

Then there is this Tedx talk on how individual response to good is

https://youtu.be/0z03xkwFbw4
Old 07-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroeran View Post
Merging all the diet trends and logic suggests dialing up nutrient dense veg, fruit in whole form, and moderating but not eliminating high quality animal and low mercury fish protein.

Dial up olive oil, moderate butter, and avoid other common oils.

Wheat of all forms, bread and pasta and cereal, rice and potatoes, minimized as much as possible except to compliment nutrient dense foods.

Treat processed foods and hydrogenation as toxic.

Minimize overall calories and occasionally skip a meal as fast.

Then there is this Tedx talk on how individual response to good is

https://youtu.be/0z03xkwFbw4
That is pretty much the diet of DW and I, except for the fasting part. We generally eat one meal a day, with some healthy snacks as needed. We don't purposely limit the carbs, but eating one meal a day does it by definition. [that way there is more room in the diet for beer and wine :-)]. Our older metabolisms don't want much food any more.

BTW, we call the processed foods 'Industrial Foods'. As opposed to what we buy from farmers markets and the local food co-op. One can't entirely get away from Industrial Foods, but limiting them has made us physically feel better.

I read recently that the industrial food companies are having profitability issues. https://www.forbes.com/sites/hankcar.../#521a8979710e

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #80

Exceptions might be tomato paste, Concord grape and cranberry juice, coffee, tea which have attractive functional food health aspects and you can’t avoid commercial processing

Not reconstituted from concentrate I presume is less processed at least