Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Right or wrong, I just splurged on a Honda HRX217HYA ($700) even though it's probably more mower than I needed, got a little off for Mem Day weekend sale.

I am really looking forward to mowing the lawn tomorrow - though I am positive that will wear off (probably within a week).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Congrats Midpack - you will have to give us an update on your perspective after you use it (if you don't mind) but only if it's a good review. I know I must own some Honda Motor Corp. stock somewhere in my index funds!!
Pleeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was late to the thread but was going to respond that I am a fan of all things Honda and I would have bought the $400 model, but if I had your money I would have bought the $700 model.
If you lived in a lower COL area like we do, unlike your part of the country, you could buy a better mower too.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Since Midpack is all set, perhaps someone can guide me. The steel deck on my 5-7 year old Troy Bilt FWD mower rusted completely through. My yard is hilly with a lot of exposed ledge rock. Small areas where you can't just go back and forth. Lots of changing directions, pivoting, etc.
My yard sounds similar, but it's only 1/3rd of an acre. I've been using a 21" push mower, but I'd like to get things done more quickly. I've considered those twin-blade, approx 32" wide, self-propelled mowers with swivel wheels on the front. I'd think that would be the ticket for easily mowing around things and for speeding up the whole task. Two challenges:
-- They are pricey: About $1300-1500 for a machine with a steel deck (that will probably rust through in 5-7 years, like yours did.) I'd like aluminum or something else for that kind of money, and a Honda engine.
-- I wonder if the swivel wheels will make it tough to mow on hills, going side-to-side. With a regular mower, having all the wheels fixed and facing dead-ahead helps the mower keep moving in the direction it is pointed. The machine I saw (a Craftsman) had the motor right above the rear wheels, with the blades in a low-profile deck in front, so it might be pretty easy to keep it from heading downhill with just a little pressure on the handle.

Craftsman, Cub, and a I think some others make these "wide area" walk behind mowers. I'll keep my eyes open for a used one.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a Craftsman with a 160cc Honda engine. Time will tell if the body holds up, but I have a very high regard for those Honda engines. I used my mower for a couple seasons before switching to a lawn tractor some years back. Last weekend I pulled the mower out of its 4-5 year hibernation, added some gas, and it started easily on the first pull. Same startlingly quiet, smooth operation that I remember from when it was new. I'm pretty sure you'll be very happy with your new top-of-the-line Honda.
A Bird In Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleeplus View Post
Congrats Midpack - you will have to give us an update on your perspective after you use it (if you don't mind) but only if it's a good review. I know I must own some Honda Motor Corp. stock somewhere in my index funds!!
I just mowed my lawn and the Honda mower was wonderful, an out of body experience!!!

Just kidding, it is a lawn mower after all...

My initial impression was good, it was all I hoped with more pleasant surprises than the other kind. My real opinion won't form for another 10-20 years.

Cons:
  • It has the longest wheelbase I have ever seen on a push mower, which makes it tougher to maneuver. Long wheelbase is not an issue going straight, and not that noticeable going around gentle curves, but it's noticeable turning tight like around trees.
  • My old John Deere 14SB had a horiz "sightglass" on the tank, so it was easy to know when the tank was full without spilling. The Honda does not, I will miss that.
  • *** for some not all
I bought my John Deere 14SB (150cc) in 1990 when we arrived in FL and my old 3.5HP B&S supermarket mower couldn't begin to cut the wire they call (St Augustine) grass down there. And I refuse to bag clippings. So I went out and bought the most powerful, best mulching mower I could buy then, for (gag) $600. And it's served us for 24 years, so it's been a great investment.

Pros:
  • As good as the John Deere was at mulching, this 190cc Honda is even better. My grass was longish and not entirely dry today, but the Honda obliterated the clippings, and the engine never hesitated. It pulverized a twig I hit, where the JD would have just broken it into pieces.
  • I was a little puzzled as to how the blade clutch & drive bails worked, but after just a few passes I realized why they are shaped differently - a very smart, intuitive design. A tick easier on the hands than the JD.
  • Started on the first pull, even this first time, with a little less resistance than the JD (it always started on 1-2 pulls throughout it's life).
  • Oil changes will be easier/less messy on the Honda than they were on the JD.
  • The Honda was a little quieter, but it's still loud like most mowers. And it runs smoother than any other mower I've ever used, less vibration in the handle which is more comfortable.

My OP compared the wrong models, should have been $500 (HRR216VYA) vs $700 (HRX217HYA), not a $400 model.

I am sure I would have been just fine with the $500 model after all, our yard is not that large or sloping. But I will keep the better model because I like the transmission and it's user friendliness, that's all it comes down to. I don't like the cheaper Smart Drive approach in user friendliness terms.

I could take it back and save $200, but even this one will pay for itself in one year vs hiring someone to cut our grass for a season. And while $700 is a lot for a push mower (as DW pointed out), in today's dollars the John Deere would retail for more than $1100, no wonder JD no longer sells push mowers in the US.

*** The Honda is also the heaviest mower I've ever owned. But it's only 3 pounds heavier than my John Deere was (96 vs 93 lbs), and it is self-propelled so it didn't really bother me. If the transmission failed, I doubt even a normal adult could push it around for 45-60 minutes. And anyone used to a cheapo $200-300 mower is in for a shock the first time they try to manpersonhandle a Honda HRX mower around! It's a beast!

Honda HRX217HYA red & gray, John Deere 14SB black and silver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0aI7D.jpg (212.7 KB, 2 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I've considered those twin-blade, approx 32" wide, self-propelled mowers with swivel wheels on the front. I'd think that would be the ticket for easily mowing around things and for speeding up the whole task. Two challenges:

-- I wonder if the swivel wheels will make it tough to mow on hills, going side-to-side. With a regular mower, having all the wheels fixed and facing dead-ahead helps the mower keep moving in the direction it is pointed.
You guess right. I bought one of these (Sears label, but I think MTD makes them) because we have a hill in back that is too steep to use a riding mower on. I mow about a half acre. The 33" is definitely an upper-body workout to keep straight on the hill and on the steepest part I resort to the 22" Honda anyway. It does shorten the overall lawn mowing job but by very little. Had I known that I wouldn't have bought it. However if your hill isn't pushing the limits of what is possible then it might work for you.

And I'm not at all impressed by the quality of the cut either. I's not gosh-durn awful, but I've seen a lot better. At first I thought it might the a function of the deck width but then remembered that the Cub Cadet (the original, not the MTD ones) that I had 30+ years ago had a 42" deck and the lawn looked pool table smooth what it was done.

So either some engineer was not up to snuff or the marketing guys told them to get it out the door too soon. I'd bet on the latter.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:52 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Any more experiences comparing RWD vs. high wheel FWD? It's Saturday and time to shop.
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote